Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2022, 06:58 AM   #4661
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I found the ending for Top Gun Maverick to be too predictable and at times corny. That said the flying scenes were incredible.
Don't think. Just do.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2022, 11:42 AM   #4662
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I liked that, as simple as it was.

The lesson/message being rely on your instincts.

Whereas when they started crunching numbers and got in their heads they assumed it was impossible.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:49 PM   #4663
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

J. World was like a theater version of a theme park ride.

A different dinosaur cameo for each scene. Essentially a series of JP skits sewn together with added lens flare.

Did they really turn the inGen spy from JP into discount Steve Jobs 30 years later?? Holy hell, that's a stretch.

So ridiculous. So many stupid hand signaling moments. Even Allan got in on the fun.

I hate to admit this movie might be a guilty pleasure. Only because it leaned into the chaos and had literally everything.

Also
Spoiler!

Last edited by djsFlames; 06-14-2022 at 08:53 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 09:38 PM   #4664
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Old Henry as well. Decent plot twist you don't see coming until the 3rd act. Well done IMO.
Old 06-14-2022, 11:32 PM   #4665
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
It hit the optimal amount of nostalgia for me. Farfetched and a little corny for sure but that movie felt like such an immersive experience that I totally went with it.

Give Cruise credit for pulling off the role to perfection too. Not Oscar calibre obviously but his charisma just flies off the screen.

All in all, I had an incredible movie going experience.
Saw it tonight, I second this review.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:21 AM   #4666
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

So how much better is the new Top Gun than the first one? Because I just watched it for the first time since I was a kid, and damn it didn't age well at all. The whole romance subplot is pointless and takes up half the movie, and the other half is just cheesy homoeroticism. Does the new one have more action at least?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:29 AM   #4667
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Nice little gem on Netflix 'Old Henry' if you are a fan of elegiac westerns ala Peckinpah or Mallick
This is exactly why I like this thread. I never would have even known this film exists if someone didn't bring it up here. A gem indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I like Old Henry as well. Decent plot twist you don't see coming until the 3rd act. Well done IMO.
Happy to brag that I figured it out immediately.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:43 AM   #4668
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
So how much better is the new Top Gun than the first one? Because I just watched it for the first time since I was a kid, and damn it didn't age well at all. The whole romance subplot is pointless and takes up half the movie, and the other half is just cheesy homoeroticism. Does the new one have more action at least?
It's virtually a rehash of the first film, just now Maverick has "been around and seen some ####" so he has a very different vibe. There were some more touching moments here and there, especially with Val Kilmer, but nothing earth-shattering in improvement. The action is updated and very engaging, but doesn't necessarily take up more screen time. The romance is a total throwaway. Her character is so thinly developed she may as well have been a cardboard cutout.

But you go anyway because it's a fun movie. It's okay to just have fun watching a movie.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2022, 11:27 AM   #4669
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
It's virtually a rehash of the first film, just now Maverick has "been around and seen some ####" so he has a very different vibe. There were some more touching moments here and there, especially with Val Kilmer, but nothing earth-shattering in improvement. The action is updated and very engaging, but doesn't necessarily take up more screen time. The romance is a total throwaway. Her character is so thinly developed she may as well have been a cardboard cutout.

But you go anyway because it's a fun movie. It's okay to just have fun watching a movie.
It was so fun that I forgot that Cruiser was a scientologist for the whole movie!
Old 06-15-2022, 11:36 AM   #4670
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
It was so fun that I forgot that Cruiser was a scientologist for the whole movie!
They are saving that for Top Gun 3:The Xenu Project.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 12:24 PM   #4671
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post

Mirrors my experience. I don't think seeing the original before seeing the new one is probably a great idea because of the similarities and the double dose of 80's cheese. It's fun enough to overshadow the shortcomings.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 12:34 PM   #4672
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

The big difference for me was that I don't see Maverick having any impact on pop culture unlike the OG. How many catchphrases did we get from the first one that you can still use today and everyone gets, and I can't think of anything from this new movie. none of the characters were even close to as endearing as Goose and the villian was nothing compared to Ice.

It's still a must see for all the flying but otherwise I think the original is better.

And, the biggest wtf for me, can someone explain to me how a career pilot can afford a P-51 Mustang and several other toys including a 50K Kawasaki.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 12:57 PM   #4673
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
And, the biggest wtf for me, can someone explain to me how a career pilot can afford a P-51 Mustang and several other toys including a 50K Kawasaki.
I don't think you are supposed to read that deep into this type of movie. The theater was mostly full when we went and I would say the crowd was largely middle aged with not many in the way of teenagers or people in their 20's so it's not going to have nearly the same effect as the first one. My 16 year old hated it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2022, 01:03 PM   #4674
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
the movie, and the other half is just cheesy homoeroticism. Does the new one have more action at least?

The homoerotic scenes have more action at least!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2022, 02:01 PM   #4675
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
In my head cannon he just spent a few years smuggling for the cartels. Problem solved.
The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2022, 02:37 PM   #4676
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
In my head cannon he just spent a few years smuggling for the cartels. Problem solved.
Soo....the movie 'Blow.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 02:55 PM   #4677
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Soo....the movie 'Blow.'
Actually was referring to this... but ya Blow works too.

The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2022, 03:20 PM   #4678
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
Actually was referring to this... but ya Blow works too.

I thought that was a pretty good movie. Say what you want about Cruise and his weird private life but most of his movies entertain.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 11:42 AM   #4679
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I watched the first one with the kid, in anticipation of taking him to Maverick. The first one is terrible on re-watch. As you described, super cheesy, terrible love interest/no chemistry and incomprehensible plot.

Now I get why some may see Maverick as a rehash, as they do dial up the call back in the first part of the movie in particular. I think it is much better in all aspects, though. The flying scenes are better, the plot is super ridiculous but kinda-sorta holds together, love interest still mostly a waste of time, but better. Not a Cruise fan, but he does the movie star thing well and his character isn't quite as dooshy as the original.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 05:06 PM   #4680
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wish Jurassic World 3 would have been about dinosaurs. It was about so many things (locusts? food insecurity? Monsanto boogiemen? black market endangered species trafficking? midlife crises? nuclear families?) and dinosaurs barely made the cut.

What an unmitigated disaster.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote