Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-01-2022, 05:10 PM   #841
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
As much as a I am a Trekkie, I’m completely with you on this. Overall these movies are great entertainment. It also helps to bring in a new generation of kids to the Star Trek worlds.

My kids (now 13 & 11) absolutely love all things Star Wars but really had no clue about Star Trek. Which is what happens when there is nothing current playing anywhere. So they’ve now seen the Abrams movies and are very excited to hear about a new movie being made.

(Meanwhile I’ll try to show them the originals but imo, they may be to “low brow” in the special effects for them .. frikkin kids these days, lol)
I grew up on TOS on RDTV in the 90s and it was totally fine for me. I totally was with the special effects of that show. Kids have more imagination than you think. Are they really that picky? I was also watching the 1960s Batman in the 90s and it was fine.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2022, 05:11 PM   #842
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I grew up on TOS on RDTV in the 90s and it was totally fine for me. I totally was with the special effects of that show. Kids have more imagination than you think. Are they really that picky? I was also watching the 1960s Batman in the 90s and it was fine.
RDTV....Jesus....how old are we?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2022, 05:39 PM   #843
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
RDTV....Jesus....how old are we?
So old that on our nightly PC gaming session on Discord, instead of playing Star Trek Bridge Crew and learning how to pilot a Starship as we did the night before - we decided to play "screen share your RRSP portfolio and walk through how to set it up correctly".

Next time on Klassen Tax the Next Generation...
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2022, 05:43 PM   #844
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Speaking of Star Trek Bridge Crew, I started playing it with FlameOn and it's a bit bland so far.

We are not playing it in VR but the missions could definitely use more Star Trek flavor and variety. The most entertaining situation so far was playing the TOS Enterprise and not knowing which color jube jube to press to warp away before a star exploded.

I'm down if anybody else wants to give it a try as it no-longer requires VR goggles and you can just mouse look around while you are controlling the ship. We are usually short one or two crewmen.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:14 PM   #845
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Picard S2 starts today.

Shall we buckle up and see what happens?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-03-2022, 07:28 PM   #846
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Picard S2 starts today.

I felt it was a bit slow to get going, and I hope that is the last of Elnor.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 08:56 PM   #847
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Picard S2 starts today.

Brilliant premiere!
I should not have watched DISCO right after as it killed all the euphoria I had.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 09:10 AM   #848
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
Brilliant premiere!
I should not have watched DISCO right after as it killed all the euphoria I had.
Lol!

First of all, accepted nomenclature of that show is STD, for the obvious reasons.

Secondly, you had to know that was coming. If there is one thing STD can be counted on its to be a 'Black Hole of Star Trek Joy.'

Old 03-04-2022, 09:18 AM   #849
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I had fallen behind a bit on Discovery. But I watched the episode from a couple of years ago where they went through the galactic barrier.

They just outright "Science" everything. We need to get trough the great barrier, lets use programable anti-matter and spray it on the hall. What's programmable anti-matter? Nobody knows.

Suddenly one of the crew members is leaving, and Saru has this big conversation with him about how valued and loved he was, and how he'll be missed. And I was like, everyone replaces a chair, we don't need a speech to make a irrelevant character suddenly relevant.

Michael makes a big speech, I tune out.

Suddenly Michael is out of ideas, and everyone has them, I guess they listened to what's left of their fan base.

Michael makes a big speech and I hear it like the adults in the peanuts cartoons. Wah wha waaah waaaah waaaah.

Just a slow episode where they talk about their feelings, and the sudden back story by scientist guy is most of it.

Just so many cringe worthy moments in this epsiode.

YES we got the rock and roll concert flame throws and pyrotechnics. Who designs a bridge with natural gas lines in the wall?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2022, 01:35 PM   #850
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I like Picard season 2 episode 1. Picard Season 2 episode 1 was very enjoyable. I will happily watch Picard season 2 episode 2 when it releases.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2022, 02:02 PM   #851
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was pretty good. A little heavy on the pointless emotional stuff. And what was with Picard being in charge, then Rios just pushing forward and blabbing? I more look forward to what was setup than the episode itself. So hopefully it pays off. I have very little faith in anything Kurtzman being involved with turning out well.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 03:00 PM   #852
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
And what was with Picard being in charge, then Rios just pushing forward and blabbing? .

Captain of the ship is still captain of the ship. Admiral Picard may have been the ranking officer, but it was still Rios' ship.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 03:06 PM   #853
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Captain of the ship is still captain of the ship. Admiral Picard may have been the ranking officer, but it was still Rios' ship.
Really? I thought ranking officer had command.
Old 03-04-2022, 03:18 PM   #854
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One time, Spock acceded control to Kirk. Another time, Kirk demoted Decker. Either way, something has to happen for the Captain to lose control of his ship. Kirk was the Universal champion of taking over, but most of the time when an Admiral was on board, they never even attempted to take command away from the Captain.

Last edited by Harry Lime; 03-04-2022 at 03:24 PM.
Harry Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 03:24 PM   #855
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I haven't been watching this series, but in the original Trek movies even Spock had to agree to accede command to Admiral Kirk before Kirk could take over. Spock had every right to sit Kirk in a corner.
In this case, Rios already handed it over. No take backs!! It was just weird, because they made a specific point of it, and then shortly after Rios jumped in with, well, I don't remember the details, but it wasn't really consequential. Almost like the writers forgot about it when they turned the page on the script.
Old 03-04-2022, 03:37 PM   #856
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
One time, Spock acceded control to Kirk. Another time, Kirk demoted Decker. Either way, something has to happen for the Captain to lose control of his ship. Kirk was the Universal champion of taking over, but most of the time when an Admiral was on board, they never even attempted to take command away from the Captain.

Because Captains fly ships....Admirals fly desks.

Old 03-04-2022, 03:40 PM   #857
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Nope the ranking officer has command. For example a admiral on an aircraft carrier in charge of a task force doesn't have direct command of his carrier, the ranking officer (Captain has it).

Another example is lets say that a admiral gets a ride on the destroyer, the Destroyer's captain is still in command of his vessel.

Its always the commanding officer in charge not the superior rank. Which could lead to lets say a Lt in command of a frigate being the authority over an admiral that's on board, when it comes to ship operations.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2022, 03:44 PM   #858
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK, "ship operations". I'll maybe have to watch the scene again, but I'm pretty sure it was mission related, not "evasive manouver Alpha Charlie 4!"

episode spoiler
Spoiler!
Old 03-04-2022, 09:51 PM   #859
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great start to S2 of Picard IMO. Had a definite old-school Trek vibe, and I'm really enjoying these characters. Stewart was terrific as usual.

Some thoughts:

Spoiler!
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2022, 12:00 AM   #860
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep that was a solid and really intriguing debut. Something is definitely up with these Borg, they aren’t calling him Locutus.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote