Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2022, 09:26 AM   #821
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Last weeks discovery we learned that Michael is also a world class galactic championship poker player, inspirational speaker and fight corner person.
Picard is going to make her into a Q. This might actually be able to fix her character.

/sarcasm
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:27 AM   #822
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Looks like the Abrams-verse cast is returning for a 4th movie after all.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/s...na-1235021307/
I don't hate the Abramsverse cast, but the abramsverse needed to die. This is unwelcome news.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2022, 09:31 AM   #823
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe at the end of this one their timeline collapses, and we go back to the original one. No loose ends. "And that was the end of Abrams Star Trek".

Last edited by Fuzz; 02-17-2022 at 12:14 PM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:33 AM   #824
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Q snaps at the end of this season of Star Trek Picard, Picard is back on the bridge of the Enterprise E and somehow stops the Hobus supernova from ever occuring. The time loop implications also knock Michael Burnham's mother back into the right time so michael never winds up on Vulcan.

Last moment of the series is Picard telling the con of the enterprise e to set a course home.

Probably too much to hope for
Old 02-17-2022, 09:48 AM   #825
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Abrams might be the worst thing to happen to Sci-fi in history, having a hand in the destruction of Star Trek and Star Wars, and mentoring Orci and Kurtzman. The debacle of D&D for GOT took some heat off of him, otherwise the heat to oust him and his cur would be molten. His selection of people to work with is mind boggling, and it's a credit to Simon Pegg that he had the credentials to muscle his way into saving parts of Beyond.

The casting director for the movies is probably crying in her soup, she did such a good job, gone to waste.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:09 AM   #826
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually like all of the Abrams-verse movies, even the bad one (Into Darkness). 09 and Beyond are legitimately good Star Trek movies and they're all very entertaining with great cast and chemistry. Great special effects all around. And they got around any canon issues early on by just saying it's all an alternate universe so who cares.

Fun movies, and certainly leagues ahead of what the TV shows have been trying to do (while also ruining canon at the same time).
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2022, 10:20 AM   #827
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Picard is going to make her into a Q. This might actually be able to fix her character.

/sarcasm
Michael would straight up dummy Q in a direct battle. I'm pretty sure she could leg sweep the entire Continuum and put them on trial for existing as such a barbaric primitive species.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2022, 11:14 AM   #828
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

‘09 and Beyond were both terrific IMO. I’m looking forward to the 4th movie.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2022, 07:18 PM   #829
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

wrong thread

Last edited by sureLoss; 02-18-2022 at 07:20 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 10:10 AM   #830
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It feels like half the runtime of every episode is 1 on 1 emotional dreck. Every other scene is a tedious slog. The concept for the past 2 episodes have been good, but the execution is not working.
Old 02-27-2022, 10:13 AM   #831
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its also predictable. They destroy the DMA and a bigger one shows up. They simply solve problems now with incredible inventions that pop out of nowhere.

Oh my god super threat xyz is out there how will we beat it.

Engineer and Michael - "Actually it will be super easy, barely an inconvenience."

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2022, 10:21 AM   #832
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, maybe I missed the explanation as I zoned out, and it was embedded in one of those emotional slogs, but what was the deal with the "Galactic Barrier"? Why is it this crazy death zone? Isn't the edge of the galaxy just a lack of stars?
Old 02-27-2022, 10:39 AM   #833
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Also, maybe I missed the explanation as I zoned out, and it was embedded in one of those emotional slogs, but what was the deal with the "Galactic Barrier"? Why is it this crazy death zone? Isn't the edge of the galaxy just a lack of stars?
Reacquaint yourself with 'Star Trek V: The Search for God (who turns out to be a dick)'

The Great Space Barrier Reef is impenetrable unless you actually just go there and try.

It was a great film, super swearsies.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 10:41 AM   #834
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

But that was the barrier at the centre of the galaxy, no? I think their was some original series edge of galaxy barrier stuff, but it's pretty baffling scientifically.
Old 02-27-2022, 10:50 AM   #835
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
But that was the barrier at the centre of the galaxy, no? I think their was some original series edge of galaxy barrier stuff, but it's pretty baffling scientifically.

I’d similarly expect a great thinning out of anything, like our own solar system’s heliosphere.

I also thought they travelling intergalactically already?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 11:56 AM   #836
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Reacquaint yourself with 'Star Trek V: The Search for God (who turns out to be a dick)'

The Great Space Barrier Reef is impenetrable unless you actually just go there and try.

It was a great film, super swearsies.

Also remember that in the original series Gary Mitchell was effected by the energy of the Galactic barrier when the Enterprise breached it and ended up with god like powers and quite insane.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 01:08 PM   #837
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I actually like all of the Abrams-verse movies, even the bad one (Into Darkness). 09 and Beyond are legitimately good Star Trek movies and they're all very entertaining with great cast and chemistry. Great special effects all around. And they got around any canon issues early on by just saying it's all an alternate universe so who cares.

Fun movies, and certainly leagues ahead of what the TV shows have been trying to do (while also ruining canon at the same time).

As much as a I am a Trekkie, I’m completely with you on this. Overall these movies are great entertainment. It also helps to bring in a new generation of kids to the Star Trek worlds.

My kids (now 13 & 11) absolutely love all things Star Wars but really had no clue about Star Trek. Which is what happens when there is nothing current playing anywhere. So they’ve now seen the Abrams movies and are very excited to hear about a new movie being made.

(Meanwhile I’ll try to show them the originals but imo, they may be to “low brow” in the special effects for them .. frikkin kids these days, lol)
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 01:14 PM   #838
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
As much as a I am a Trekkie, I’m completely with you on this. Overall these movies are great entertainment. It also helps to bring in a new generation of kids to the Star Trek worlds.

My kids (now 13 & 11) absolutely love all things Star Wars but really had no clue about Star Trek. Which is what happens when there is nothing current playing anywhere. So they’ve now seen the Abrams movies and are very excited to hear about a new movie being made.

(Meanwhile I’ll try to show them the originals but imo, they may be to “low brow” in the special effects for them .. frikkin kids these days, lol)
Trust me...the special effects in some of those original films is not really the issue. Some of them are just a mess.

You have to go into those films with an appreciation for the Universe and the characters and a bit of a sense of humour.

Like in STTMP when Spock goes space jet-packing through the Galaxy's sphincter or whatever. Sure, they probably thought that was a good idea at the time...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-28-2022, 03:20 PM   #839
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Like in STTMP when Spock goes space jet-packing through the Galaxy's sphincter or whatever.
V'ger's pulsating butthole
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 03:24 PM   #840
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
V'ger's pulsating butthole
Look....I love the Star Trek movies in a strange, comedic and generally irrational way, but I do love them.

I can enjoy them, I can laugh at them, but they're great.

And thats Star Trek. It can be taken seriously at some times and lightly at others which is why I love watching Star Trek documentaries about how the writers and actors balance that.

A lot of Star Trek has some preposterous storylines and they know and we know it and because its interesting and fun and we like the Universe and the characters and the ideas we just go along for the ride.

I havent seen STTMP in a long time, but my recollection was something along the lines of:

"They let them make more movies after this??"