Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2021, 05:15 PM   #741
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

That discussion begins and ends with this beauty.

Perfect in every way.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2021, 05:39 PM   #742
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The TOS movies’ ships FTW.

Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2021, 05:52 PM   #743
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
That discussion begins and ends with this beauty.

Perfect in every way.

I don't know, I never really got into the E. Too much flying hotel for me.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2021, 07:25 PM   #744
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll see if I can hunt down the breakdown of just how huge the Enterprise D really was. The likelihood that you would ever run into another crew member during your day is extremely remote.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:29 PM   #745
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I'll see if I can hunt down the breakdown of just how huge the Enterprise D really was. The likelihood that you would ever run into another crew member during your day is extremely remote.

Was if the cross-section poster? I have this somewhere, I need a Star Trek mancave.

Spoiler!
Old 12-17-2021, 09:09 PM   #746
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
a couple other ships I like for stupid reasons

Daedalus class - so ugly that it almost goes all the way around to beautiful

That's also the closest thing to a real life starship that humans would be able to use, assuming you could spin the cylindrical and sphere sections to generate artificial gravity
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2021, 02:36 AM   #747
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't know, I never really got into the E. Too much flying hotel for me.

Well... that's a picture of D, so... not sure what the issue is?

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 09:57 AM   #748
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Was if the cross-section poster? I have this somewhere, I need a Star Trek mancave.

Spoiler!
I have that photo hanging in my office!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2021, 09:58 AM   #749
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 12-18-2021, 02:20 PM   #750
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Star Trek General Discussion

Quote:

Is that there just to distract CC when you’re trying to do his taxes?

I have no such excuse though for my high school nerdiness….
Old 12-18-2021, 04:00 PM   #751
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a pretty good episode. Cool to see Michael Greyeyes there, but his appearance had me wishing he and the other prisoners might have secretly Khan and gang resulting from whatever squiggliness from the original Trek timeline.

Stamets is getting a little annoying with the predictable standoffishness followed by total loyalty before the end of the episode.

The Q angle was interesting, in so much as whether they might be tying this in with Picard S2 somehow. Like some kind of Encounter at Farpoint test.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2021, 01:33 AM   #752
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
I ordered the cross-section poster from Starlog magazine but eventually I gave it to a friend who put it on the wall and now it's been lost for 20 years.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:48 AM   #753
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Re Discovery.

Quote:
They took the easy way out with Book, they'd been dealing with his feelings of loss and failure over the destruction of his planet. Then they completely pulled the hand brake on that when they suddenly made the jump to its a weapon with some amazing leaps of sci fi logic. Then he was back to normal, but angry. They just can't seem to draw things out to a logical conclusion and now he's mad.

I felt like they rushed things to the whole its a weapon, there was no science behind it, they put in the obvious plot device of its moving and they jumped to its a weapon.

Yeah it was nice that they started naming races, and cool that they thought it could be the Q, but you just know that at that point you can pretty much eliminate all their races.

The interactions between Stamets the scientist and Saru was nice, with Reno in a rare appearance doing the Scotty thing with the power. I think they thought they had to do the whole silly mashed potato and Pea thing as a heavy handed Close encounters easter egg. But on a ship with 1000 year in the future holographic projectors they used food. It just felt heavy handed.

The prison thing and the whole we're federation we don't approve of your justice system was a nice distraction because of the acting performance by Felix the depressed prisoner. more then anything else.

Its interesting to see that they have Zora as a fully functional AI with an emotional ability. They hinted at this with the conversation between Zora and Saru last year. But I expect that they won't go anywhere with it, its just there to be another hammer blow to our heads by the writers about how cool they are and thoughtful.

Its pretty clear that they're trying to set up Tarka as maybe a mini villain this year where he will suduce Stamets to his reckless ways, and he does have the scar on the back of his neck from the Emerald Chain slavery thingy, and that's why we got the substory of the doctor and his angst over acting as Ships Councillor and the one on one scene at the end with he and Stamet's talking about their days.

In one laughable minute we've talked about how the bridge crew is furniture that we don't care about. Well at the end of the episodes I noticed that the navigator and helmsmen were not the usual team and Detmer and the navigator what's her face had not been in a episode that probably needed the hot shot team.

Look, it wasn't a bad episode, its just the norm. They pack as much stuff as they can in. Resolves issues like Book's in about 5 minutes, and really do little outside of the main characters, and then hit us in the head with the writing hammer a few times.

On the positive side, the guest stars Chronenburg (sp?) and Felix put in amazing performances. The effects were strong. We got with leaps of logic and 5 minutes work the resolution to what the DMA is so now they can progress to the big bad, which I hope is not Clint Howard reprising his role as Balok from the first Federation who will realize the wrong he's doing with the DMA and invite the crew over for Tranya and cheese.

Like I said it was a solid episode, so lets see if they can build on this.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2021, 02:26 PM   #754
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love to see Reno on full time. I think her character is perfect for a Trek series. I wonder how much Notaro gets to ad libs there, because her dialogue seems on a different level than the rest of the cast.

All in all, I could imagine that as a episode of TNG.

After thinking about it for a bit, I am suspicious of Tarka. He was able to recreate the DMA pretty easily. He probably was responsible for the current one or help created it under threat of the Emerald Chain.
Old 12-19-2021, 05:38 PM   #755
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's telling that all of Disco's best episodes feature limited scenes of the main cast.

I've also discovered what turns me off about all of them, besides the horrid dialogue and endless weeping. It's that they insist that their regular conversational voices is dripping with that whiny, weak-ass, blubbering tone. No matter what.

When you realize you're burned out, you dont need to be a whiny b*tch about it, just take it in and see what you can do to solve it.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 08:11 PM   #756
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I would love to see Reno on full time. I think her character is perfect for a Trek series. I wonder how much Notaro gets to ad libs there, because her dialogue seems on a different level than the rest of the cast.

All in all, I could imagine that as a episode of TNG.

After thinking about it for a bit, I am suspicious of Tarka. He was able to recreate the DMA pretty easily. He probably was responsible for the current one or help created it under threat of the Emerald Chain.
Tig and Kurtzman are friends. It all started as kind of a laugh to have her in it. They’ll fly her up to T.O. for a few days but she has no interest in Star Trek at all.

There’s an official ST podcast with Twany Newsome and Paul F Tompkins called Star Trek: The Pod Directive and they interviewed her a couple of years ago.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2022, 10:55 AM   #757
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

RE Discovery - First of all, they just recently announced that the show is going on a 6 week I think mid season break, after Thursday's episode there are 4 episodes left to wrap up this story line. So this show was a mid season finale

Spoiler!

Old 01-03-2022, 11:25 AM   #758
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I think what bugs me most about Discovery is that every character is neurotic and anxiety driven. Now we have neurotic computer thrown into the mix.

They're supposed to be astronauts, explorers and somewhat militaristic. There should be at least a few characters on the ship who are confident and emotionally controlled. Instead we have a whole bunch of characters who have to be told "that's an order" because they're constantly questioning their superior officers.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2022, 12:18 PM   #759
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I think what bugs me most about Discovery is that every character is neurotic and anxiety driven. Now we have neurotic computer thrown into the mix.

They're supposed to be astronauts, explorers and somewhat militaristic. There should be at least a few characters on the ship who are confident and emotionally controlled. Instead we have a whole bunch of characters who have to be told "that's an order" because they're constantly questioning their superior officers.
This.

And I'm not the guy that complains about the "crying" in the show. Emotion is fine, dramatics are good for story telling. But dramatic whispering and longing voices in EVERY.SINGLE.SCENE is bad TV.

Like you said, these are basically soldiers. Yes Starfleet is basically the military branch of the Federation. And before anyone says otherwise, these characters are supposed to be from the 2250s when that was true more than any other point in history.

It was a decent episode for what it's worth.

But why did Michael Jesus have a vote at the council. She's the Federation representative all of a sudden? Jesus gets a vote and the President of the UFP has to remain impartial? And why do non-members get a vote? Why didn't Book get a vote then as he was observing? Why didn't he just bring a bunch of people and stack the vote?
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craigwd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2022, 03:13 PM   #760
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that last episode was great.
It was refreshing to have an episode where Michael Burnham is the only person able to solve a problem.
And then on top of that, she throws in a moving/inspirational speech, something that is completely out of character for her, and this episode really was a breath of fresh air.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post: