Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2019, 01:10 PM   #1041
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
No, they're usually people with ear buds in. If you don't like being surprised, maybe pay more attention to your surroundings.
I've never understood people with headphones or ear bud while cycling or walking across roads. Just asking for trouble or getting killed. Nevermind people that drive with the same.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 01:12 PM   #1042
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll keep that in mind if I ever get a ticket. Here's your dollar! Sorry, I only read up to the part that there was a fine. How was I supposed to know it is $400? Even our council didn't know that before they agreed to it!

I dunno, I find that excuse pretty weak. Someone came up with the number, and they should have presented it to council, as it is not a small increase.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:17 PM   #1043
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I've never understood people with headphones or ear bud while cycling or walking across roads. Just asking for trouble or getting killed. Nevermind people that drive with the same.
I wear headphones for my daily commute but keep the volume low and purposely don't have a noise isolating model. Usually I'm listening to a podcast or the radio on my ride in, the same as many drivers.

Headphones block out less noise than the sound-dampening bodies of vehicles. Too lazy to google it, but they've done studies where they found drivers with the radio on could hear less outside noise than cyclists or runners with headphones in (and yet nobody would think to shame drivers for listening to the radio while driving into work).
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #1044
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I ride with them on my commute as well, volume isn't that high.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #1045
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I understand the sentiment that riders should be aware and not wear earphones, and I know it can be a ‘thing’ sometimes, but I’m really not sure I agree with it. And I know I’m not asking to get killed.

I wear headphones in part because of wind noise and traffic noise. Earbuds dampen that, but I still hear vehicles coming up behind me.

Without the buds in I don’t think I hear vehicles sooner, since the wind noise is so much more prevalent, plus the overall noise level is bad for the ears. So I like to hear vehicles, and I still can, but I’m not a fan of overall hearing loss.

And as was said above, it’s not like I drive in my car with my windows down and the music off just so I can hear other traffic better.

Last edited by Ryan Coke; 06-11-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:24 PM   #1046
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If I listen to music or a podcast I'll only throw 1 earbud in my right ear so I can clearly hear stuff coming behind me on my left
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #1047
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The consequence is higher for a cyclist than a car so even if the reduction in awareness is the same cyclists should be more conservative in their choices relative to drivers.

I think the motorcycle community has a similar debate over it.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #1048
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The consequence is higher for a cyclist than a car so even if the reduction in awareness is the same cyclists should be more conservative in their choices relative to drivers.

I think the motorcycle community has a similar debate over it.
Sure, that's fair but I think most bicyclists ARE generally more conservative in their choices relative to drivers. Each of the last three posters talked about moderating the volume and/or using a single ear bud, and all three seemed to be comfortable with taking responsibility for their decision. Besides, I have yet to see anyone biking down the river pathway at 100km/h with a Big Mac in one hand and their phone in the other, consequences be damned (or doing any kind of personal grooming, for that matter).

IMO the amount of victim blaming and safety shaming that happens in the cycling community (and from nearby motorists with their window rolled down at the stop sign) is borderline ridiculous.

Last edited by Flames0910; 06-11-2019 at 04:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 06-11-2019, 08:13 PM   #1049
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My political givaFometer is pretty low, so forgive the ignorance. Looked up Druh Farrell who is apparently sympathetic to this. It turns out she is my representative. I'm pretty sure she lives near me cuz I see her around smiling frequently. So sending an email to her is still recommended despite the poor prognosis of getting the bylaw amended?
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cracher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 11:07 PM   #1050
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
My political givaFometer is pretty low, so forgive the ignorance. Looked up Druh Farrell who is apparently sympathetic to this. It turns out she is my representative. I'm pretty sure she lives near me cuz I see her around smiling frequently. So sending an email to her is still recommended despite the poor prognosis of getting the bylaw amended?
Yes. Her office said she is considering asking that they be brought in line with vehicles so please do send an email!
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 07:02 AM   #1051
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the commute home yesterday I came up behind a couple walking on the path, basically walking far enough apart that they took up 2/3 of the width. I rang my bell three times, once maybe 20' away, once 10' away, and once basically right behind them, but they didn't move over at all.
I squeezed by them fairly slowly, and was politely told that I should shove my bell up my ass.

Would they prefer I just surprised them?
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 08:19 AM   #1052
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i was a little verklempt riding into work this morning as today marks my last bike commute to this office as next week we are moving back downtown. my office has been near chinook for 9 years now and my commute is currently 17k on a mix of pathway and roads.

my commute downtown will be about 27k i reckon mostly on pathway, but I'd imagine i will ride on the road thru inglewoood and into downtown to hopefully aviod speed restrictions - my bike commuting will likely be limited tot eh summer months as i will likely be responsible for getting my daughter from school once that starts up again.

can't say i am overly excited to be back downtown - but it will be nice to have a new modern office, with nice furniture and what not - but everything else - blech.....
Old 06-12-2019, 09:07 AM   #1053
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
On the commute home yesterday I came up behind a couple walking on the path, basically walking far enough apart that they took up 2/3 of the width. I rang my bell three times, once maybe 20' away, once 10' away, and once basically right behind them, but they didn't move over at all.
I squeezed by them fairly slowly, and was politely told that I should shove my bell up my ass.

You did what I call the 3 ring procedure. If there's no response after that many, it's on them.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #1054
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Did you have a water bottle you could have squirted them with?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 09:56 AM   #1055
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:
NYC's Beseiged Bike Lanes Needed A Hero. Instead, We Got Sean Avery

https://gothamist.com/2019/06/11/the...ero_instea.php
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 10:01 AM   #1056
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sean Avery is a beauty.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #1057
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sean Avery is an ####### and a d-bag, but frankly, sometimes that's the hero we need? Seriously, someone has to be an ####### to these people.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:15 AM   #1058
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Somebody needs to do a Lego diorama of Sean Avery's exploits.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:54 AM   #1059
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Every day I get more and more depressed with peoples behaviours.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:37 AM   #1060
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't wuss out today. Put on the rain gear and rode in. It doesn't matter how expensive the rain jacket is, they're all liars when they tell you they're "breathable".
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post: