Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-26-2018, 05:07 PM   #61
John Doe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I don't understand what you are trying to say. If you are trying to say something, just say it.

Most mass shootings are committed by males.

North America and Europe are most heavily populated by whites.

Odds are, it's going to be a white male.
I don’t get it. What are you trying say? Just say it.
John Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:10 PM   #62
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
I don’t get it. What are you trying say? Just say it.
I know you're being obtuse, but I said exactly what I wanted to say. Driveway came into this thread and for some reason made it about race. Odds are in a predominantly white part of the world, in a predominantly male hobby, that it's a white male.

Last edited by Ashasx; 08-26-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:11 PM   #63
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by verda13 View Post
I'm not trying to say anything other then it seams that most mass shootings are committed by white males, possibly disproportionately so.

I didn't mean any offense, just annoyed with the same story so often...
I depends how you're defining mass shootings. For the technical definition of four plus victims, this may not be accurate.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:22 PM   #64
John Doe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Fair enough. I thought there were a higher percentage of white mass shooters than the general population would suggest, but after a few quick google searches it appears that I was wrong. Goes to show how perceptions can be wrong. Carry on.
John Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:40 PM   #65
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by verda13 View Post
This, and mass shootings in general, are highly dominated by white males, so yeah.

Horrible, horrible stuff. Thoughts and prayers, I guess...?
I didn't think about race at all when it came to mass shootings and initially I was a bit offended thinking that it played a part. But I decided to do a bit of research and it does seem like there is some validity to the statement, in that white males commit 63 percent of all mass shootings between 1982-2017 while making up 31 percent of the population.

There are a number of reasons I can think of for this. I think that as dumb as it may sound, but the cost associated with the weapons used for major mass shootings would be one of them. If there is someone who is in a lower SES they wouldn't be able to afford the AR-15 type of weapon which seems to be the gun of choice in a lot of the mass murders we have seen. Still I think that this deserves some more analysis as to where the anger is coming from.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:04 PM   #66
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
I didn't think about race at all when it came to mass shootings and initially I was a bit offended thinking that it played a part. But I decided to do a bit of research and it does seem like there is some validity to the statement, in that white males commit 63 percent of all mass shootings between 1982-2017 while making up 31 percent of the population.

There are a number of reasons I can think of for this. I think that as dumb as it may sound, but the cost associated with the weapons used for major mass shootings would be one of them. If there is someone who is in a lower SES they wouldn't be able to afford the AR-15 type of weapon which seems to be the gun of choice in a lot of the mass murders we have seen. Still I think that this deserves some more analysis as to where the anger is coming from.
I have to imagine that males commit 99% of mass shootings, so if 63% of mass shootings are committed by white males, that would seemingly be relatively proportional to their representation in these populations.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:10 PM   #67
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know the stats or care to do the research, but if white males are disproportionately represented in these types of mass shootings, then there is nothing wrong with calling that out. If you want to solve the problem, there is no room to be sensitive about or careless about the demographic factor.

It's no different than when you look at high levels of shootings or violence in inner cities among black people. It should never be used to make assumptions about race, but it's important to consider what it is about their environment and experiences that create the climate for these drastic events.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:16 PM   #68
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I don't know the stats or care to do the research, but if white males are disproportionately represented in these types of mass shootings, then there is nothing wrong with calling that out. If you want to solve the problem, there is no room to be sensitive about or careless about the demographic factor.

It's no different than when you look at high levels of shootings or violence in inner cities among black people. It should never be used to make assumptions about race, but it's important to consider what it is about their environment and experiences that create the climate for these drastic events.
This combination doesn't really work with this discussion because that defines what is essentially being questioned here. You're saying that you don't care about the stats but that there's nothing wrong with calling out something based on a stat that's being questioned. There are a lot of mass shootings in the US on the regular basis that aren't nationwide news.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:45 PM   #69
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
I know you're being obtuse, but I said exactly what I wanted to say. Driveway came into this thread and for some reason made it about race. Odds are in a predominantly white part of the world, in a predominantly male hobby, that it's a white male.
White males disproportionately commit acts of serial or spree violence. Almost all serial killers are white males. Almost all mass murderers are white males. Disproportionately so given population breakdowns.

Something is wrong with white males.
driveway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:50 PM   #70
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
This combination doesn't really work with this discussion because that defines what is essentially being questioned here. You're saying that you don't care about the stats but that there's nothing wrong with calling out something based on a stat that's being questioned. There are a lot of mass shootings in the US on the regular basis that aren't nationwide news.
Sorry, I didn't mean to say that I don't care about the stats. If someone presented them, I would care enough to look at them and interpret them. I just am just not in the mood to research anything.

I guess it was kind of a dull point I was making. I was just speaking to "if" there is something there demographically, then it should be pointed out and questioned.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:00 PM   #71
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
White males disproportionately commit acts of serial or spree violence. Almost all serial killers are white males. Almost all mass murderers are white males. Disproportionately so given population breakdowns.

Mass shooting sprees and serial killers are a largely western phenomenon to begin with, but if you're saying whites commit more mass and serial murders than their per capita representation, you are simply wrong.

US population distribution by race from Wikipedia:

Mass shootings/murders between 1982 and June 2018:

Serial killers:

Based off these numbers, whites are actually under-represented in the US based on their population demographics.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:34 AM   #72
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

the whole thing just once again demonstrates how ####ed up the US stance on guns is. In pretty much every other civilized country that guy wouldn't have had access to a gun and the whole thing would have ended with a fistfight at worst.

of course, they won't come to the right conclusions. Thoughts and prayers, bad video games, moar guns.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:20 AM   #73
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Suspect is a white male.
The suspect's name has been released.

"Jacksonville Sheriff Mike Williams named the shooter as David Katz, 24, of Baltimore and said he was in town for the competition. He declined to comment on what led to the third major mass shooting to hit Florida in the last two years."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/jackso...ting-1.4799655

Last edited by Tsawwassen; 08-27-2018 at 03:29 AM.
Tsawwassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:50 AM   #74
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The names of the two victims who are deceased have been released.
Taylor Robertson, 27, of Ballard, West Virginia.
Eli Clayton, 22, of Woodland Hills, California.

The link also names people who have been injured with photos.
https://www.floridatoday.com/story/n...nt/1107090002/
Old 08-27-2018, 10:32 AM   #75
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read yesterday that the victim from California wasn't planning on going but changed his mind at the last minute and booked a flight.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:59 AM   #76
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Once again I go back to Chris Rock, and I paraphrase here because I cant be arsed to look it up properly but 'if you read someone pushed an old lady down the stairs and stole her social security cheque, that's a black guy, if someone pushed an old lady down the stairs, and then used her eyes to make a set of clicker clacker balls, that's a white guy'.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 04:39 PM   #77
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Mass shooting sprees and serial killers are a largely western phenomenon to begin with, but if you're saying whites commit more mass and serial murders than their per capita representation, you are simply wrong.

Based off these numbers, whites are actually under-represented in the US based on their population demographics.
MEN. White MEN. Your population data includes men and women.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:44 PM   #78
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. That statement makes no sense; and
2. You are a racist. A blatant, unapologetic racist. There is nothing about skin colour that would predispose someone to murder, or any particular brand of murder.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 05:53 PM   #79
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
MEN. White MEN. Your population data includes men and women.
I already prefaced it by saying 99% of all mass shootings are committed by men (~90% for serial murders). All these statistics show is that males commit most of these tragedies. Whites do not represent a greater percentage of mass shootings and serial murders than the demographics purport them to be.

As those graphs show, whites committed 59% of mass shootings in the United States between 1982 and 2016, but they also made up anywhere between 65% and 82% of the population over that time. They are not over-represented based on these graphics.

This is not difficult.

Last edited by Ashasx; 08-27-2018 at 05:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 07:57 PM   #80
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

You know what, I have to admit I'm overall wrong on this one. Ahsax's stats are right.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...ographics.html

Quote:
In a narrow sense, these stories are correct: The plurality of mass killers are white. But the notion that white men of privilege are disproportionately represented among mass shooters—indeed, that they make up “nearly all” of them—is a myth.
I guess we need to ask the question then, what's wrong with men, if men are comitting 99% of these events.
The Following User Says Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post: