Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-03-2017, 05:37 PM   #1
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Thoughts/Opinions on Turo

Has anyone ever used Turo to rent a vehicle? I am thinking of using Turo to rent a vehicle in Phoenix in March and noticed that Turo is significantly cheaper than any other car rental option.

For anyone who has used it - are there any additional fees associated with a rental and how does their insurance coverage compare to a regular rental?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:50 PM   #2
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Check your own insurance policy to see if it covers rental cars.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:33 PM   #3
cammy13
Backup Goalie

Exp:

We are in Phoenix now and are using Turo for the first time.

- There is an extra fee that is disclosed once you are in the process of booking, I believe it was $20 and it was the "Turo" fee.

-There could be an extra fee for pick up and delivery, depending on duration most people wave it.

- As for insurance check your insurance policy for a SEF 27, that will cover you while renting a Turo vehicle

We saved quite a bit just by booking with Turo and the guy met us right at the arrivals door and had his own ride waiting for him. It was so much more convenient than taking the bus to the car rental terminal.
cammy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:54 PM   #4
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is the carbon tax situation?
Old 01-03-2017, 10:05 PM   #5
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've looked into Turo as well. I believe the additional fees charged by Turo is 10% of the rental price, not $20.

Definitely like the delivery option and the wider choice of vehicles but have not yet pulled the trigger. Am strongly considering Turo for our next trip to the US.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:39 PM   #6
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone have any recent experience with Turo? I've seen them advertising pretty heavily recently and I'm considering using the service for a rental in Montreal in August. The rental rates at YUL for my trip are around $100/day for a compact while I can get a large, better equipped vehicle on Turo for $40-$50/day and there are quite a few owners with really good reviews. It seems tough to pass up that sort of deal.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:47 PM   #7
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bumping as their radio ads keep coming up on 960. Any recent experiences using this for rental cars in the US? I know flying into LAX is a pain for rental cars, the prices do seem quite a bit cheaper though.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 01:13 PM   #8
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Not in the USA, but I rented a Yukon Denali last month on Turo to take a pack of my daughter's friends to Banff. Worked great. Cheaper than some lame rental for a way cooler vehicle. No surprises. Nothing sketchy. If you've taken an uber you'll manage a Turo experience just fine.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 02:12 PM   #9
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

We used the service on Maui in March, it was great! Everything was seamless ( according to my sister in law, she arranged it )
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lumby Lager For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 02:30 PM   #10
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've done it in Phoenix, rented a Corvette for a few days back before Covid when I was down there. Had zero issues. I was using my own insurance so I didn't need to pay the extra at the time. I'm intending to be back down there in the fall and might do the same again.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 05:56 PM   #11
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve rented my car out through Turo for quite some time. It has been a great experience so far. Depending on the vehicle you have, can definitely help in making some money on the side.

I have also used them for renting cars during trips. My insurance does cover Turo, so worth a call to check on that. Their pricing is very very competitive and have some excellent vehicles you can pick up. The review system is pretty reliable too.

Last edited by agulati; 05-23-2022 at 05:59 PM.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 07:51 PM   #12
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
I’ve rented my car out through Turo for quite some time. It has been a great experience so far. Depending on the vehicle you have, can definitely help in making some money on the side.

I have also used them for renting cars during trips. My insurance does cover Turo, so worth a call to check on that. Their pricing is very very competitive and have some excellent vehicles you can pick up. The review system is pretty reliable too.
Is there an option to only use the renters insurance, and not your own personal insurance on it?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:57 PM   #13
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Is there an option to only use the renters insurance, and not your own personal insurance on it?
As a person renting out your vehicle? Yes, you can opt in for getting Turo insurance. Just means Turo takes a bigger cut in the final pricing. That’s what I used to opt for.

I have only used my personal insurance if I’m the renter

Last edited by agulati; 05-23-2022 at 09:01 PM.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:05 PM   #14
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
No, do not buy Turo insurance or insurance through a rental company. Heck, do not purely rely on the rental insurance on your credit car either as the fine print might really piss you off. And why be at the mercy of some other party's insurance? It's such a PITA if something happens.

https://infoassurance.ca/en/blog/Con...sement-27.aspx

Don't pay extra for Turo insurance unless you do not own a vehicle in general. Add an SEF 27 clause to your vehicle insurance instead. It is like $30-40 a year to add to most existing vehicle insurance policies. Contrary to what most insurance brokers will claim (SEF 27 = rental car clause) it's supposed to be more powerful and inclusive than that and should be useful on any car you operate that is not yours. This includes rental cars, cars you borrow (friends, family etc.), courtesy cars and I believe even test driving a car at a dealership (which the dealership claims they cannot insure which I think is BS to scare you).

The thing about the SEF 27 clause is also that it's more flexible than many other specific features out there. If you borrow a friend's vehicle and there's an at fault collision that's your fault, you can use your friend's insurance first which covers their car normally, and if there's extra, you might be able to kick in your SEF 27 for the difference. I also believe that if there's other insurance and it's being a PITA, you might be able to kick in the SEF 27 on yours first and then try and sort it out later (ie: Credit card "insurance" that's refusing to do anything).

I don't know how much Turo insurance is, but I assume it's on par with regular rental company insurance. SEF 27 is cheap as hell at $30-40 per year and more powerful than rental insurance. IIRC, regular car rentals charge like $10 a day for insurance, so not only is SEF 27 better and easier to utilize, it's likely cheaper. I've also seen situations where rental insurance covers only the vehicle you rented and not damage to other things. SEF 27 shouldn't have this issue IIRC.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 11:40 PM   #15
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used it in LA including pick up and drop off at LAX. Overall, fantastic.
Old 05-27-2022, 03:25 PM   #16
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Heh, want to book a car through Turo. My insurance company won’t let me add SEF27 because I don’t have full coverage on my truck...which they won’t let me add because it’s too old. Hilarious.
Old 05-28-2022, 12:03 PM   #17
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

My only experience has been hearing the radio ads. Are there actually people buying multiple cars to have a personal Turo “rental fleet”?
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 12:38 PM   #18
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I've seen YouTube videos or posts on websites of people claiming to be doing that, not sure how successful you could be at it. Sounds easy in theory.
Old 05-28-2022, 12:57 PM   #19
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I rented that Denali from a guy? company? who had multiple vehicles. It was the Ferrari dealership off Blackfoot. Just something they seemed to be trying out. Had a new Bronco there and they were ordering more. The guy I talked to seemed to think it was a very viable business.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:52 AM   #20
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
My only experience has been hearing the radio ads. Are there actually people buying multiple cars to have a personal Turo “rental fleet”?
A few months ago, it would cost you around $180-200 per day to rent a 2012 model year van. I don't know what the numbers are at now. For a van of that age, you could buy one, and essentially make all your purchase cost money back by the end of the year if you rented it out for around 100 days. You'd be raking it in after year 1.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote