Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2021, 02:09 PM   #4381
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

85 this morning at Sirocco from blues. still inconsistent off the tee but playing well enough to manage bogeys even on lost tee shots
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 04:13 PM   #4382
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
85 this morning at Sirocco from blues. still inconsistent off the tee but playing well enough to manage bogeys even on lost tee shots
Nice. So easy to get into trouble out there
Old 07-02-2021, 06:50 PM   #4383
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Wow, that's a hot take.

increases pace of play? Not if your playing partners have a brain in their heads and play any kind of ready golf.
Most groups don't. It also isn't just about your group, it's about all the other groups as well. Like a traffic jam, it cascades down from one small delay. Two or three bad groups getting worse can cause a traffic jam for all the others.

But even if your group plays ready golf, it will play ready golf slower if people are raking everything vs. not raking.

Quote:
increases maintenance costs and reduces efficiency? what? How? The average course might replace a few rakes a year? OMG!

increases capital costs? You've already listed the cost, but for ####s and giggles, the capital cost of rakes would be about 100 - 200 rakes at maybe $10 (probably less) About equal to the depreciation on one single cart in one year (and that's being generous)
Moving rakes makes mowing a big pain in the ass. Even worse when it's in play. Moving rakes adds time to the bunker raker/crew in the morning. A minute or two a hole adds up, which will either slow down pace of play, or significantly increase maintenance time if they let golfers play through. These efficiency losses significantly mount up, to the cost of a couple seasonal employees/year/18 holes in wasted labour costs that stem from rakes and other accessories.

A few grand on rakes is a few grand not spent on something more valuable to the course.

Quote:
Creates more sources of complaints? You mean compared to non-raked bunkers? I think not.
The complaints about rakes are ample. No rakes at least keeps it simple.

- I had to walk too far to get a rake, you should have more rakes
- Why are there so many rakes, it looks like a yard sale out there. One per bunker is all you need
- Why do you leave rakes out of the bunkers, you should leave them in the bunkers
- Why do you leave rakes in the bunkers, my ball got held up in one you should leave them out of the bunkers
- There should be a fine system for people who don't rake the bunkers
- Is the course out of money? Why are we using the small cheap rakes?
- These rakes are too heavy, I can't use them with one hand, you should get smaller rakes

- I got a splinter from one of your rakes that was damaged, no I don't remember the hole

As a general rule if golfers are complaining about bunkers and accessories, they aren't complaining about greens which is good for a golf course. But it's a comically high proportion of complaints (pace of play always being #1, which bunker raking contributes to making worse even if people pretend it doesn't).

Quote:
makes a course less aesthetically pleasing? Having unraked bunkers makes a course less aesthetically pleasing - I don't even notice rakes.
Poorly raked, unraked, makes no difference to me, both look like crap.

Quote:
Golfers are terrible at raking bunkers? So you are arguing that a raked bunker is less playable than an unraked bunker?
Preferred lie > golfer rake mark all day every day.

Bunkers still go unraked regardless, so I know what rule I'd rather play under.

Quote:
Did someone assault you with a rake when you were young?
Seeing somebody take a rake from the low edge, walk out on the high edge and trying to rake their craters of footprints and then leaving the rake between the bunker and the greens edge like some psychopath is an assault on my sensibilities.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:58 PM   #4384
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

My only complaint about rakes in bunkers is that there isn't enough of them. My course in Nanton decided that one per bunker was enough. The result is golfers not wanting to walk to the other end of the bunker to get one and leaving it unraked.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:28 PM   #4385
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm perfectly fine with no raking in bunkers as an average weekend hacker. If I were to end up in a poor lie in an unraked bunker I'm fine with moving to a proper lie. I think most golfers would be fine with this.

As for the comments about not enough rakes or rakes being too far away I wonder if courses could just equip each golf cart with a rake or give each group/player a rake that they can carry in their bag for the round?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:37 PM   #4386
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I'm perfectly fine with no raking in bunkers as an average weekend hacker. If I were to end up in a poor lie in an unraked bunker I'm fine with moving to a proper lie. I think most golfers would be fine with this.

As for the comments about not enough rakes or rakes being too far away I wonder if courses could just equip each golf cart with a rake or give each group/player a rake that they can carry in their bag for the round?
I hate when my ball lands in a large divot in the sand where the previous golfer refused to rake. And moving the ball is not how the game is supposed to be played.

During Covid i'd use my club to smooth over the area I hit from. Golfers who refuse to rake could at least do that.

The solution is adding more rakes to the bunkers. It's an issue I plan on addressing with my greens superintendant.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:50 PM   #4387
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I hate when my ball lands in a large divot in the sand where the previous golfer refused to rake. And moving the ball is not how the game is supposed to be played.

During Covid i'd use my club to smooth over the area I hit from. Golfers who refuse to rake could at least do that.

The solution is adding more rakes to the bunkers. It's an issue I plan on addressing with my greens superintendant.
As casual golfers we all take various liberties that go against the way the game is supposed to be played. Like I said most casual players shouldn't really care about moving the ball a few inches. Maybe the single handicappers will take issue with unraked bunkers.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:59 PM   #4388
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
As casual golfers we all take various liberties that go against the way the game is supposed to be played. Like I said most casual players shouldn't really care about moving the ball a few inches. Maybe the single handicappers will take issue with unraked bunkers.
Casual golfers should show some respect for the course they play on and other golfers that use it.

It's not just single handicappers, it's golfers who love and respect the game.

Last edited by Dion; 07-02-2021 at 08:02 PM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2021, 09:00 PM   #4389
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can see taking a liberty with moving your ball, or taking a Julie on a missed putt or grounding your club in the sand.

But rake the bunkers and fix your divots - make the course a little better for the golfers behind you
Old 07-02-2021, 10:32 PM   #4390
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

There’s nothing that’s more annoying than landing in someone’s divot that they didn’t bother replacing or dealing with. It should be a free lift, because it’s really not fair, but that’s just my (and many others) opinion.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:40 AM   #4391
Rjcsjc62
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Its probably in this thread somewhere but i cant find it.

Does anyone know of a decent, free, handicap app that uses RCGA rulesż

Thanks
Rjcsjc62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:43 AM   #4392
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Grint
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EverfresH15 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2021, 11:05 PM   #4393
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the honest scoop on golfing as a single?

I have a flexible schedule that allows me to play when most of my friends and golf buddies are at work, so I'm tempted to just start playing more on my own to get more rounds in.

Do the people you get grouped with look at you like an unwelcome weirdo or is it generally normal?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 11:08 PM   #4394
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post

I have a flexible schedule that allows me to play when most of my friends and golf buddies are at work, so I'm tempted to just start playing more on my own to get more rounds in.

Do the people you get grouped with look at you like an unwelcome weirdo or is it generally normal?
I do it often and it’s usually a mix of social groups that like to chat and treat you like their own and just a twosome or threesome that Keeps to themselves. During the day it really shouldn’t be a problem as it’s more serious golfers and the chances of impeding on a groups “drunk round” is low.

Keep pace and no one will care.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 11:19 PM   #4395
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

I avoid doing it myself and yet we enjoy almost every single that joins us.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 11:40 PM   #4396
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I golf as a single when I'm vacationing with my wife.

Haven't had any issues of note and have had the opportunity to meet some really good people.

Played with one couple who apparently were having a serious money match and I told the wife that a putt was "good for me" and the husband wasn't impressed. It was maybe a foot which seemed normal to concede, but not for him. I kept quiet for the rest of the round.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:27 AM   #4397
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Most people don’t mind or even enjoy golfing with singles and getting to know new people.

We did have a couple members who complained about having singles placed with them. Our response, “golf is played in foursomes. Find three friends to play with you and there’s a 0% chance you have a single placed.”
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2021, 07:42 AM   #4398
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i golf as a single a lot. it is nice as you can go when you want, no worrying about tee times and co-ordinating schedules etc. at times you can feel like a bit of an outsider, if you join three friends. i just remeber to be nice, not swear much, and play fast.

i was going to take today off and golf; however, the new shoes i bought gave me two nice blisters on the back of my feet and the questionable skies made me decide to hold off until friday.

i felt bad about cleaning up the shoes i wore for 9 holes and returning them (the store cleark examinded them and accepted them) - but i guess i felt that $200 golf shoes should not chewing up my feet and my current shoes are still in very good condition - so i rebuilt them with new insoles.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:28 AM   #4399
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i golf as a single a lot. it is nice as you can go when you want, no worrying about tee times and co-ordinating schedules etc. at times you can feel like a bit of an outsider, if you join three friends. i just remeber to be nice, not swear much, and play fast.

i was going to take today off and golf; however, the new shoes i bought gave me two nice blisters on the back of my feet and the questionable skies made me decide to hold off until friday.

i felt bad about cleaning up the shoes i wore for 9 holes and returning them (the store cleark examinded them and accepted them) - but i guess i felt that $200 golf shoes should not chewing up my feet and my current shoes are still in very good condition - so i rebuilt them with new insoles.
I was quite unsure about playing with others and a friend of mine gave me that exact advice. The reality is, if you're a nice person and play at a good pace no one cares about anything else. (and if they do, are you really going to care what they think?)
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:48 AM   #4400
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just for the love of god don't be that single that has a 2 minute pre-shot routine and a 4 minute pre putt routine.

For that matter, don't ever be that guy.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow