Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #101
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

not sure on electricity, but AECO gas- which pretty sure drives your energy bills- is probably not rising any time soon (aka this winter). I think we are approaching, if not already, max storage levels as the eastern US more than supplies the eastern seaboard (including Canada, where previously they were supplied by Transcanada / AB), and Transcanada continues their insane pricing scheme on pipeline tariffs of Alberta gas out east. The result is a pretty huge surplus a gas in AB with no real alternative to go at present, and no near-term use for the gas to drain storage and increase price unless we get a super cold winter or some storms like hurricanes, etc. to drive down storage.

If you're ever going to do the fixed rate thing, go Enmax because they're the only true ones that can get you the 1 stop shop on a bill (since they're the only ones that service sewage and water). I think fixing your rates will reduce your administrative BS fees, and in my limited ass experience it really doesn't make too huge a difference on your bills over time either which way, and I've seen the calculations a few times. There are exceptions though, especially the very lucky folks who locked in on lifetime contracts when gas was $2... I forget the company name, but they lost a crapton of money on those contracts and then they came back offering $2,000 for people to rip them up. Which was hilarious.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #102
the wanderer
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Most people chose the fixed rate for electricity as it avoids the volatility in the market place.
In the last year (new terms) floating elec rates have been between 4c and 15c/kwh with an average of 10.6c/kw
Most people chose floating gas as the market rate for gas is much lower than the current fixed rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youzit View Post
Ok, I do not get this. I have to make a decision as to whether to go fixed or variable on Easymax, and the variable electricity rate is 14.86 cents/kwh vs. the fixed rate of 8.9 cents per kwh. It seems like I would be an idiot to go with the variable rate. That doesn't make sense to me, particularly if you think about mortgage rates where generally, the fixed rates are higher than the variable rates - you pay a higher interest on fixed rates to buy some peace of mind and the bank has to put in a cushion to make sure that they don't run the risk of being too low relative to the market sometime in the future.

So am I completely off base here? Confused!
the wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:16 PM   #103
the wanderer
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I think fixing your rates will reduce your administrative BS fees,
Fixing your rate with Enmax does not reduce admin charges
Old 07-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #104
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm, makes me kind of glad I locked it in for 8 cents. I did not know the variable rates went up so much.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:59 PM   #105
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wanderer View Post
Fixing your rate with Enmax does not reduce admin charges
You are probably right in that the difference between going with fixed or floating doesn't chnage the admin fees. However when I went with Enmax for both gas and power (previously had gas with Direct Energy), I did notice $5 less per month in admin fees.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:04 PM   #106
Crazy Flamer
First Line Centre

Exp:

Believe it or not, the Enmax fixed rate for electricity is highest among competitors at 8.9 cents/Kwh.

There are cheaper options. Check out a company like Vector Energy. Their residential fixed rate right now is 7.99 cents/Kwh. Its like Easymax in the sense that you can cancel at anytime without penalty or move to the floating rate.

PM me if you want more details.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #107
Youzit
Draft Pick

Based on what I know about the oil and gas industry, I can make some predictions on where price will go. But when it comes to electricity, I really have no clue on how to make long term predictions..
Youzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #108
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Flamer View Post
Believe it or not, the Enmax fixed rate for electricity is highest among competitors at 8.9 cents/Kwh.

There are cheaper options. Check out a company like Vector Energy. Their residential fixed rate right now is 7.99 cents/Kwh. Its like Easymax in the sense that you can cancel at anytime without penalty or move to the floating rate.

There is no way this poster works for Vector Energy.

Actually that might be true, because I don't think anyone has heard of Vector Energy.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #109
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Flamer View Post

Why would anyone risk dealing with an unknown entity for 1cent/Kwh?
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #110
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
Why would anyone risk dealing with an unknown entity for 1cent/Kwh?
All the electricity comes from Enmax and if there is a problem Enmax is called to deal with it, so the only 'risk' involved would be billing issues and if you signed a really bad contract.

It isn't like you are switching from Telus to Shaw. It is like switching from Telus, to Telus, but you pay Frank and Frank pays Telus.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #111
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bump. Need to get this electricity thing resolved pretty soon. Some of these companies offer a lower rate with deposit... how soon do I get my deposit back? Is it regulated? Or vary from provider to provider? Seems like all these providers from spot to NRG to mountain view all offer lower prices below enmax even without a deposit... so why chose enmax?
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.

Last edited by Brannigans Law; 11-08-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #112
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've received a notice from Enmax stating that my contract rate for electricity is now expired and to "call now for a great offer!"

Before I speak to them, does the braintrust have any advice for me?

I'm in the midst of doing researching and the current posted rate of 8.9 cents per kwh beats the monthly average floating rate of 10.24 cents per kwh as stated in their advertisement.

Is the 'safe' bet still to do a contract rate?
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:34 PM   #113
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think their advertisement is a little off. This is what their current RRO page https://www.enmax.com/home/electrici...as/tariffs/rro shows with historical rates. I'm getting an average of .0870:

Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #114
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's also this:

Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #115
the wanderer
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
I've received a notice from Enmax stating that my contract rate for electricity is now expired and to "call now for a great offer!"

Before I speak to them, does the braintrust have any advice for me?

I'm in the midst of doing researching and the current posted rate of 8.9 cents per kwh beats the monthly average floating rate of 10.24 cents per kwh as stated in their advertisement.

Is the 'safe' bet still to do a contract rate?

There are 2 types of floating rates with enmax. It is dependent on when your contract started.
If you signed up within the last year and a half (including loyalty programs) the average floating rate (for last year) for Calgary would be 9.99c/kwh + 1c/kwh fee
If you signed up more than that time ago the average rate (for last 2 years) would be 8.8c c/kwh

the new fixed rate for new customers is 8.9c/kwh
there may still be a loyalty rate available of 8c/kwh for existing customers who are willing to sign on the new terms and conditions
if you take the new terms and conditions it also affects your gas rates.

There are some additional rates available for business on business meters

In terms of the comment all electricity comes from Enmax... In Calgary that is true the electricity comes from Enmax. The comment that if there is a problem you have to call Enmax is partially true. If the problem is due to the line and not having power then you can call Enmax. If the problem comes from billing issues including but not limited to missreads then you have to deal with the customer service of the retailer you chose.
The Following User Says Thank You to the wanderer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #116
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I get a little annoyed when Enmax and such advertise rates...

Last month I used 1,474 kWH @ $.08 = $117.92.
However, my total electric bill was $224.24 (Avg $8.01 / day)

I guess they have to market based on something,
but it is not an accurate reflection of the true electricity costs.

Heck even airlines advertise with taxes and fees included now.
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #117
the wanderer
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne008 View Post
I get a little annoyed when Enmax and such advertise rates...

Last month I used 1,474 kWH @ $.08 = $117.92.
However, my total electric bill was $224.24 (Avg $8.01 / day)

I guess they have to market based on something,
but it is not an accurate reflection of the true electricity costs.

Heck even airlines advertise with taxes and fees included now.

Rayne, That is a common comment. The difference is the delivery portion of the invoice. Enmax is the wire service provider in Calgary. Wire service providers are a monopoly as you don't wan't multiple companies having the same wires running into your house.

Since they are a monopoly the charges are regulated and are set with the regulatory body. You will pay all those charges to Enmax no mater who you go with. it is similar to atco gas and your gas charges.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:21 PM   #118
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Deleted - Incorrect Info, sorry.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 03-19-2014 at 04:29 PM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:20 PM   #119
Hi-Psi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So I just bought a house and looking to set up energy for the house. Doing my research now between the different companies and floating/fixed rates but any advice would be greatly appreciated as it's been 9 months or so since anyone posted in here...
Hi-Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:23 PM   #120
AMG_G
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I went floating gas and fixed electricty with easymax I found rates are pretty competitive so chose Emax because I wanted a consolidateday bill
AMG_G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electricity , enmax