Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2022, 04:32 PM   #5501
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Super excited for FF16 and FF7-Rebirth next year.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 04:34 PM   #5502
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
there is almost no gameplay in that gameplay demo, its all panning cameras and extreme close ups...nice water though
That minute of gameplay from about 30 seconds to 1:40 is still far better than GT7. Turn 10's demo looks like a race replay where the camera is controlled by a player after the race has completed, which is technically gameplay.

I am very optimistic that this game will deliver a racing sim that pleases not only the hardcore sim fans but also the casual racing fan.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 10:24 PM   #5503
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Christ.

https://kotaku.com/halo-infinite-jun...lat-1849065291

Last night, developer 343 Industries rolled out a Juneteenth-themed cosmetic option for Halo Infinite, its multiplayer shooter. For a moment, the affiliated Pan-African-themed color palette was titled “Bonobo.” A bonobo, for those who don’t know, is an endangered species of great ape.

I do not need to tell you how abhorrent this is.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 12:54 AM   #5504
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
That minute of gameplay from about 30 seconds to 1:40 is still far better than GT7. Turn 10's demo looks like a race replay where the camera is controlled by a player after the race has completed, which is technically gameplay.

I am very optimistic that this game will deliver a racing sim that pleases not only the hardcore sim fans but also the casual racing fan.
It may or may not be better in the end...I don't think a minute of "gameplay" footage of an unreleased game is enough to call something far better than a current game. You have a heavy Microsoft bias, its a pretty poor video IMO with next to no actual gameplay. They have dedicated like 15 seconds to watching a river flowing...like WTF does that have to do with a racing game.

to be fair racing games aren't really my thing...Mario Kart 8 is the best racer for me

Last edited by dino7c; 06-17-2022 at 12:56 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 01:12 AM   #5505
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Super excited for FF16 and FF7-Rebirth next year.
Give Square’s track record, I would be extremely surprised if both those games release in 2023. Right now I’m expecting XVI to be like a September or a October release after a delay, and 7 Rebirth maybe this time in 2024.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 06:46 PM   #5506
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

FF7 on GMG for 29% off, codes around that bring it down to -43% and $56 after tax if that floats your boat.
Old 06-17-2022, 06:55 PM   #5507
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Correct you were, Monday now.
CroFlames, your new console has arrived.

UPS right on time as per their tracking. You should be good Raekwon I would hope.
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2022, 10:36 AM   #5508
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Leaked product listing and trailer on Sony's PlayStation Direct site (since deleted) say Last of Us remake is coming to PS5 in September AND coming to PC later.

https://www.polygon.com/23132765/the...elease-date-pc

Still hopeful.
This kind of slipped under the radar, only this morning did I actually notice this is slated for September. Very short lead time on that announcement...

A bunch of people are calling this a "cash grab", which is sort of fair, because it's clearly intended to capitalize on the TV show. But I also think their marketing for this has hurt them; there's very little in what they've shown of the remake version that flatters the earlier remastered version because they're scenes that were already pre-rendered in the original. The few spots we can see where that's not the case (like this one) emphasize what a big leap forward it is visually and I wish they'd show more of that stuff.

Doubt I'll buy it day one because I'm still annoyed about TLOU2 but probably eventually will want to play it as the "best version" of what I still think is the all-around best video game anyone's ever made, especially if it updates the parts that now feel dated in terms of the gameplay as they've suggested. All of this of course assumes that they haven't screwed it up somehow by trying to make it tie in better to the second game and changed things, but based on what they've released it looks like it's been re-made almost shot for shot.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 11:05 AM   #5509
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
CroFlames, your new console has arrived.

UPS right on time as per their tracking. You should be good Raekwon I would hope.
Thanks again for sourcing one for me. A+

I was playing Valhalla on a Ps4 and the machine was whirring like a Nascar. I didn't realize at the time, but the framerate was choppy.

Once I got the Ps5, I downloaded the Ps5 version of the game, plugged the input into the eARC HDMI input and holy ####.

PS5 runs silently, framerate is buttery smooth and the graphics are insane. I might spend the dough to upgrade Ghost of Tsushima and play it again on the Ps5 now.

I'd say there is a bigger leap in performance from Ps4 to Ps5 than there was going from Ps3 to Ps4.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2022, 09:34 PM   #5510
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1536854906056822785
Old 06-21-2022, 09:13 AM   #5511
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Thanks again for sourcing one for me. A+

I was playing Valhalla on a Ps4 and the machine was whirring like a Nascar. I didn't realize at the time, but the framerate was choppy.

Once I got the Ps5, I downloaded the Ps5 version of the game, plugged the input into the eARC HDMI input and holy ####.

PS5 runs silently, framerate is buttery smooth and the graphics are insane. I might spend the dough to upgrade Ghost of Tsushima and play it again on the Ps5 now.

I'd say there is a bigger leap in performance from Ps4 to Ps5 than there was going from Ps3 to Ps4.
Why do this when you can just get access to the PS5 directors cut on PS Plus extra (not even the highest level at premium)?

The type of stuff you get access to on PS Plus extra is amazing. Ghost, Demons Souls, Death Stranding alone was what snagged me. There's still more amazing titles, many of which are still top dollar games to buy brand new.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:45 AM   #5512
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Why do this when you can just get access to the PS5 directors cut on PS Plus extra (not even the highest level at premium)?

The type of stuff you get access to on PS Plus extra is amazing. Ghost, Demons Souls, Death Stranding alone was what snagged me. There's still more amazing titles, many of which are still top dollar games to buy brand new.
I'm kind of an oddball when it comes to that. I thought it was such horse#### that I had to start paying for multiplayer gaming when we went from PS3 to PS4, so I refuse to do it. I'm probably alone in this crusade.

I went back to PC gaming for a long time because of it.

Now that I'm older with kids, I don't even game that much so I feel like PS+ is a waste of money (plus the principle of the matter). I grab a title from time to time and immerse myself. Then I don't game for 2-3 months and the cycle repeats.

PS: What does director's cut include that the OG base game doesn't?
Old 06-21-2022, 10:10 AM   #5513
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm kind of an oddball when it comes to that. I thought it was such horse#### that I had to start paying for multiplayer gaming when we went from PS3 to PS4, so I refuse to do it. I'm probably alone in this crusade.

I went back to PC gaming for a long time because of it.

Now that I'm older with kids, I don't even game that much so I feel like PS+ is a waste of money (plus the principle of the matter). I grab a title from time to time and immerse myself. Then I don't game for 2-3 months and the cycle repeats.

PS: What does director's cut include that the OG base game doesn't?
https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/gh...ut-ps5-review/

So it adds something called Iki's island and upgrades the graphics. I do think you might need to use the PS5 version forever if you upgrade your PS4 save file though.

I get where you're coming from for the pay for multiplayer = waste of money, but I think a few years ago, more and more scenarios popped up and more and more features other than just multiplayer popped up where this concept isn't totally true anymore. If you're just going to temporarily load Ghost directors cut PS5 to replay for a month and let it collect dust, I'd argue it's cheaper to spend the $20 ish for PS Plus extra for a month (or $50 for 3 months) rather than pay $90 for the game on PSN.

I was looking at how the old PS Now subscription model worked a few years ago. I thought the way it made the most sense was to jump into it for a few months after getting a new console so that you could figure out what you liked to play genre wise. It also makes sense to use it for a temporary period if you wanted to play a bunch of thematic games that were available for a specific reason, but were unlikely to play those games regularly (ie: horror games during Halloween). It makes more sense in the digital sense than if you're the type who likes the physical disc.

In your situation, you could replay Ghosts directors cut and also use that time to "demo" many other games that you likely wouldn't have purchased anyways/would not have had a chance to try. Don't renew after it expires. Buy Ghosts when it's cheap at a later date. That would still cost you less than the $90 it's going for right now and arguably, you'd also get more value by being able to jump into a few other games that you wouldn't get a chance to just screw around with had you not purchased the game.

https://www.playstation.com/en-ca/ps-plus/games/

AC Valhalla PS5
Control Ultimate edition PS5
Guardians of the Galaxy PS5

Are a few other top games that might be interesting to tinker around with, and there's still like a hundred of them to glance through and consider.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 01:00 PM   #5514
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’m finally playing Resident Evil Village and I gotta say it’s just not doing it for me. I’m about 7 hours in so I’ll still finish it, but I’m finding it very underwhelming compared to the terrific Biohazard that came before it.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 02:48 PM   #5515
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

PS5's at Costco right now:

https://www.costco.ca/.product.1919414.html
Old 06-24-2022, 10:30 PM   #5516
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Deep dive on retro games but this is pretty wild.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2022, 09:34 AM   #5517
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta come back and plug for the Ps5 again. Valhalla is so damn smooth on it and it looks stunning on a 4k TV.

The game itself is great. They've tried some new things with this version of AC, like the skill tree, and I appreciate them trying some things. It feels a lot less Assassin-y than other iterations though. Kinda almost feels like Witcher sans monsters.

My guess is I'm about halfway through - there is tons of content. Keeps the dollars per entertainment hour low.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2022, 09:04 AM   #5518
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gotta come back and plug for the Ps5 again. Valhalla is so damn smooth on it and it looks stunning on a 4k TV.

The game itself is great. They've tried some new things with this version of AC, like the skill tree, and I appreciate them trying some things. It feels a lot less Assassin-y than other iterations though. Kinda almost feels like Witcher sans monsters.

My guess is I'm about halfway through - there is tons of content. Keeps the dollars per entertainment hour low.
I can't remember the exact number, but AC:V was the 2nd highest total I have ever put into a video game (after Witcher 3). To say it has a lot of content doesn't do it justice; it just never stops!

Got kind of grindy by the end as I was trying to finish it off, but well worth the time spent.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 03:56 PM   #5519
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love hearing that about Valhalla on 4K. I finally got my hands on a PS5 but have been so swamped with work the past couple months that I refused to buy a 4K TV to go with it so I didn't get too distracted from work projects. But all is quiet now finally, so I think it's time..deff gonna try the next gen version of that game now.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 05:07 PM   #5520
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Compare Valhalla to Odyssey? I have Odyssey from when it was on sale for like 15 bucks but never actually played it. Is one massively better?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote