Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 05-13-2022, 10:21 AM   #21
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Due to family obligations, I can't relocate.

I double checked a random site (in this case Cenovus) because I am aware of 'rigs'. Honestly I don't know anything about them, so I'd basically be a warm body that is willing to learn. Opportunities at Cenovus are split into three categories (smushed together). Professional jobs for which I don't qualify due to specific skill sets required, internships (of which they are many) but I am not a student, and Newfoundland jobs.

There is then a 'general application'. I'm assuming this is where I would apply. There is very, very little information on what 'general' is. At this point I would do fly in/fly out on a rotation.

I'll write up an applicable cover letter, and tailor my resume, as I do for all jobs. I will add, if this is the path to the great Albertan oilpatch of riches and glory, it's oddly buried.
For rig positions (or any other service industry job) you would apply directly to the service company. Precision Drilling, Ensign Drilling, Halliburton, etc.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2022, 10:58 AM   #22
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want to wish everyone in this thread the best of luck in finding gainful employment. It’s a tough slog. Thousands of electronic resumes getting pre screened out and never speaking with a human.

Please look after yourselves.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:51 AM   #23
cbcjoel
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I'd love to hear the CBC reporter who started the thread's response to these posts. I personally love the CBC and value it greatly in this country and hand't heard this angle about their reporting before.
I suppose what I would say is my questions relating to this issue are based in empathy -- what struggles are people running into when job-seeking in Alberta today? And -- why are we seeing such high long-term unemployment rates, and what's to be done?
cbcjoel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cbcjoel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2022, 09:06 AM   #24
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our main investor (and one of my former friends) pulled out of the business we were running suddenly. I've been applying for positions for 2 months now. It has been a tough go. I have made it through the interview process of 3 positions only for another candidate to be selected after multiple rounds. I feel like I'm starting from scratch after every round of interviews because I sort of lay off submitting as many resumes and reaching out to contacts in between. It is pretty discouraging, but I don't want to take something lesser yet and potentially hamper my future career growth.
Really tough decisions to make. Also starting to get nervous about economic contraction making jobs harder to find overall... I don't want to be left without a chair when the music stops!
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2022, 06:25 PM   #25
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcjoel View Post
I suppose what I would say is my questions relating to this issue are based in empathy -- what struggles are people running into when job-seeking in Alberta today? And -- why are we seeing such high long-term unemployment rates, and what's to be done?

It's a good angle. I'd say many people don't appreciate the sheer boredom that comes from not having a backbone to your day such as work until they're unemployed, off for medical, or maybe retired
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 01:55 PM   #26
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ran across the article on the CBC website and remembered seeing this thread: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...mith-1.6463998
Superfraggle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 03:15 PM   #27
zontar
Draft Pick

Late to the game, but thought I’d add my story.

Laid off in early 2017 from my O&G IT job (with a move from the tech side to managerial) in my 50’s. From there it was 18 months of applying over and over, little human interaction and then in one form or another of, “you’re over-qualified”, “we’re going with another candidate”, “your technical skills are rusty”. Despite 20+ years in IT with constant learning, I was never the right candidate. And despite keeping busy (3+ hours daily for job search, working out and starting to blog), it got depressing. Fortunately, I had a good network of friends and colleagues who I could talk to and that helped.

Then, after EI ran out, a recruiter from Winnipeg contacted me, and before I knew it, I was moving out there to keep working while my family stayed here. Hard decision but we needed a pay check coming in.

There were some silver linings though - company is fantastic and with COVID I came back to shelter with family and am now full time WFH.

Those 18 months of banging my head against the hiring wall were some of the most frustrating times of my life. And only seeing family every 6-8 weeks sucked as well.
One thing I took from that chapter was to keep my CV and my network up-to-date.

Now I just want to ride out a few more years and then enjoy my grandkids!
Old 05-26-2022, 04:10 PM   #28
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfraggle View Post
Ran across the article on the CBC website and remembered seeing this thread: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...mith-1.6463998

Was also the topic on Albertq @ Noon today too. Speaking of which, later I heard a blurb from Jiri, even introduced as being from CalgaryPuck.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:38 PM   #29
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zontar View Post
Late to the game, but thought I’d add my story.

Laid off in early 2017 from my O&G IT job (with a move from the tech side to managerial) in my 50’s. From there it was 18 months of applying over and over, little human interaction and then in one form or another of, “you’re over-qualified”, “we’re going with another candidate”, “your technical skills are rusty”. Despite 20+ years in IT with constant learning, I was never the right candidate. And despite keeping busy (3+ hours daily for job search, working out and starting to blog), it got depressing. Fortunately, I had a good network of friends and colleagues who I could talk to and that helped.

Then, after EI ran out, a recruiter from Winnipeg contacted me, and before I knew it, I was moving out there to keep working while my family stayed here. Hard decision but we needed a pay check coming in.

There were some silver linings though - company is fantastic and with COVID I came back to shelter with family and am now full time WFH.

Those 18 months of banging my head against the hiring wall were some of the most frustrating times of my life. And only seeing family every 6-8 weeks sucked as well.
One thing I took from that chapter was to keep my CV and my network up-to-date.

Now I just want to ride out a few more years and then enjoy my grandkids!
Good for you!

You know, I was thinking about this recently because there are a few thoughts running through my head.

I know Employment figures are inherently flawed. In how they calculated, what counts and what doesnt, etc.

But I do wonder exactly HOW skewed they might be at the moment.

Dont get me wrong, the rest of the country should be scared that their Cash Cow Province is hurting, but is it though?

Take Zontar's anecdote for instance. He was unemployed in Alberta in excess of 6 months, so he qualifies for all of the criteria, but then he was employed in Manitoba but 'resident' of Alberta.

I wonder how much of that there must have been when COVID's #### hit the fan, especially considering WFH and all of the other incidental factors.

Further, with the increase in the price of Oil many positions are returning, but, anecdotally admittedly, I have seen a lot of people re-enter the Oil industry on a contract basis.

Now that makes a lot of sense, these projects are incremental. They pop-up, need people and then end and on to the next one. Its like its drawn up for large percentage contract work versus straight employment.

And I know that people on contracts are not calculated the same way as normal straight employment in these stats.

So I do wonder if there is an overstatement?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote