Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2021, 07:49 AM   #3341
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should buy SpaceX.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:38 AM   #3342
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
They'd have to buy someone like DUK or NEE to make a dent.
Yeah, something big and a least tangentially related would be perfect.

The other play would be something totally out of left field. Buy Disney or something like that. Huge, enduring value, and so different from the core business that it would still be hard to value the combined entity (which is important given how expensive it is). Plus you could have Musk on Twitter talking about convergence and how the main street electrical parade was a dream that they can work together to make reality.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:57 AM   #3343
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
They should buy SpaceX.
We probably see a Starlink spinoff and IPO within 2-3 years. Doubt SpaceX is bought or goes public for a very long time if ever.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:02 AM   #3344
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
They should buy SpaceX.
I somehow would not be surprised if Musk tried to set the stock ticker as SEX if SpaceX ever went public.

I mean, he was talking about how for Teslas, he wanted to do Model S, X, but the moment he tried to do model E, he was threatened with litigation by Mercedes or whoever, so settled on 3... but to him, it's not the same.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2021, 10:41 AM   #3345
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Tesla was threatened by Ford over using the E designation, not Mercedes.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2021, 02:02 PM   #3346
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

CBDT keeps doing what it does best - tank. Thank goodness I only put $1000 down but man, what was I thinking getting into that one? Holding until it evidently goes under.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 09:57 AM   #3347
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

I mostly do 'boring' investing, so rely a lot on S&P index funds, which have been great for last few years. Is anyone else starting to worry about how "top heavy" the S&P is getting, given the big tech names make up so much of the index now?

I am curious if it would be smart or dumb to move some of my S&P holdings out to individual names, or to a small cap index, or something like 'SPXT' which is S&P excluding technology (ironically, looks like its top holding is AMAZON?).

Anyone else getting sketched out by S&P composition and doing anything about it?
puckedoff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 11:36 AM   #3348
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
I mostly do 'boring' investing, so rely a lot on S&P index funds, which have been great for last few years. Is anyone else starting to worry about how "top heavy" the S&P is getting, given the big tech names make up so much of the index now?

I am curious if it would be smart or dumb to move some of my S&P holdings out to individual names, or to a small cap index, or something like 'SPXT' which is S&P excluding technology (ironically, looks like its top holding is AMAZON?).

Anyone else getting sketched out by S&P composition and doing anything about it?
Do you want to have an oversized exposure to the US market? You could go with those all-in-one ETFs which are globally diversified and not have to worry specifically about the S&P 500.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 11:37 AM   #3349
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Don't know, but outside of my day trading I'm doing absolutely nothing things are way too unpredictable right now. I'm sticking to my 10 year plan.
Old 12-14-2021, 05:42 PM   #3350
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I am curious if it would be smart or dumb to move some of my S&P holdings out to individual names, or to a small cap index, or something like 'SPXT' which is S&P excluding technology (ironically, looks like its top holding is AMAZON?)
I went with VEQT instead of going pure S&P 500.

You could look at that or something like VTI if you want the US total market.
Old 12-22-2021, 01:00 PM   #3351
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Finally sold my last 700 shares of ETHC (With an average of 60 cents, made A LOT of money), reducing my TSFA exposure to Crypto Currency by 50%.

I don't see any near-term upside to cryptocurrency, and the scams are getting so overt and ridiculous (Seriously, right now 99% of what I see is a scam) plus with Ethereum failing to fix its GAS fees I could see a crash coming soon.

I also wanted to move into NYSE:QS as I think there is a lot of mid-term upside in the solid-state battery game. Even if I lose out on some upside to Crypto and wrong, I don't see the mid-term upside being greater on QS then ETHC.

I also still have exposure of course to Cryptocurrency, holding NEO:WNDR and also several cryptocurrencies (my crypto is worth more than my TSFA LOL) with ETH and BNB being my top two holdings.

I also think that $20 is a heavy resistance for QS, so I am buying near the bottom.
Old 12-22-2021, 02:33 PM   #3352
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yes, there is plenty of reason to be concerned about that. Other than the 100 or so stocks that are driving the S&P, everything else is actually reasonably cheap - that doesn't mean, of course, that they won't all go down as well, if the high fliers crash. But they certainly won't be hit as hard.

Others have good some good recommendations already, but I also suggest small cap and value funds.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 02:42 PM   #3353
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Yes, there is plenty of reason to be concerned about that. Other than the 100 or so stocks that are driving the S&P, everything else is actually reasonably cheap - that doesn't mean, of course, that they won't all go down as well, if the high fliers crash. But they certainly won't be hit as hard.

Others have good some good recommendations already, but I also suggest small cap and value funds.
I ended up moving some S&P funds to XDU (US high quality dividend) which is still US, but weeds out some of the tech stocks that trade at higher multiples but don't pay dividends. Its probably the wrong move so inverse that if you want to make money.
Old 12-22-2021, 03:47 PM   #3354
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

What's an example of a value fund?
Old 12-22-2021, 04:27 PM   #3355
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What's an example of a value fund?
Something like Vanguard's VBR (small cap value).

Would caution though that J. Powell HATES value investors.
Old 12-22-2021, 07:04 PM   #3356
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I sold my PATH stock a couple weeks back, as well as LSPD today. Bought at $79 in hopes of a rebound but it didn't transpire and went the other way. Took the tax loss more than anything. I'm big on the banks as I think they'll continue to do great as interest rates eventually come up a little. I'm shocked analysts on BNN are saying how great a year 2022 will be again. How can the market keep going up and up and up?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:15 PM   #3357
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
Finally sold my last 700 shares of ETHC (With an average of 60 cents, made A LOT of money),
That stock has been all over the place this year I can see quite a few people losing money on it.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:32 PM   #3358
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
That stock has been all over the place this year I can see quite a few people losing money on it.
Ya, it was trading at one point at a ridiculous multiple to Eth, I got in just after its IPO. Lost a lot of money, on paper due to the Eth crash; however; so I averaged down to 60 cents, so this has been a very long-term holding for me. Though worth it, there are probably much better cryptocurrency vehicles.

Honestly, though, I'm not sure Crypto is a good buy right now. What is the upside on Crypto stocks vs stocks, ETFs, etc? Market confidence seems to be waning and Crypto valuations seem to be stuck. We are also seeing a lot of pump and dumps, NFT scams, etc.

This reminds me a lot of the situation we ran into at the beginning of 2018.
Old 12-22-2021, 11:02 PM   #3359
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm probably missing out on a lot of money, but I can't really figure out how to value a cryptominer so I stay far away.
Old 12-22-2021, 11:22 PM   #3360
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'm probably missing out on a lot of money, but I can't figure out how to value a cryptominer so I stay far away.
I did mining in 2017/8, I spent around $3k on equipment earned my money back plus enough that I currently have a decent chunk of cryptocurrency (even after falling for a couple of scams).

If I have bought the Etheruem straight up at the time, instead of mining it, I would have made 10x what I did. So IMO, if you believe in the asset, just buy the coin, don't mine the coin. If I was to buy Eth today, I wouldn't buy the coin either, I'd just buy an ETF that tracks it, that way I can buy it in my TSFA.

If you are looking to extract value, maybe mine it, a lot of coins aren't profitable without scale to mine. With my video card (RTX 2070), I'd make 5.36 USD per day on Eth, Power Cost would be 1.82 USD, which would net me 1,277.5 USD over the year.

But based on my previous mining experience, the card would probably not make it past a year, there is a high failure rate in mining. So I'd make myself enough to upgrade from an RTX 2070 to an RTX 3070 if I can find a card because graphics cards are really hard to find.

Plus you have to deal with noise and excess heat, which in the summer is a huge issue.

Edit: oh another issue with extracting value, is transaction cost, your ability to get your coin to an exchange to sell it is expensive right now on Eth. I use Eth as after a quick Google it seems to be the most profitable right now, doubling the profitability of the next coin.

Last edited by Krovikan; 12-22-2021 at 11:25 PM.