Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2020, 08:19 AM   #61
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going with a B- as well, strictly judging the signings on their own. On the one hand, given which players were available, I think we did OK. I'm not sold on how they'll play out over the course of the deals. Hope they turn out great and I look foolish in years to come.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:25 AM   #62
DomeFoam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

C+ so far. Main issue was best players can't/wont produce in playoffs. Nothing done to address it yet. Patiently waiting.
DomeFoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:28 AM   #63
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

For our two major signings, I think we overpaid by a combined 1 million (500k each), which is not the end of the world. They both fit needs that the team had. I'd still preferred to have had Brodie back, though.

Markstrom is a solid add, and should be so at least for the first chunk of his contract. Tanev is a serviceable Top 4. I wish we had gotten him on a 3 year contract, but that extra year is hopefully not going to be that big a deal.

Domingue is a solid third string goalie. If we do trade Rittich though, he will bother me a bit as a backup, especially in the condensed season we are likely to see next year.

When it comes to UFAs we have let go, most of them, with the exception of Brodie and Talbot, to a lesser extent Hamonic, were not as critical to the team. It would have been good to see Rieder back on a cheap 1 year contract, but it is not the end of the world.

The team still needs to make the promised changes though.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:46 AM   #64
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rittich was at the all star game albeit replacing Kuempner.. Fleury was also in as goalie for the Pacific division.

from the NHL.com / Flames

Quote:
Rittich has been rock solid for the Flames all season, posting an 18-11-5 record, a 2.79 GAA, a .913 save percentage, and two shutouts.

There was no great outrage that Markstrom was robbed of the all-star honor. Markstrom was 18-13-3 with a 2.71 GAA and a .917 save percentage and 1 shut out.

Over the 1st 49 games of the schedule Markstrom would not be an significant upgrade on the goal tending that the Flames got.

Over the last complete season the Canucks (with Markstom and Tanev) gave up exactly the same number of goals as the Flames (with Rittich and Hamonic) (214) The Canucks scored 20 more 224 to 204.

over the last 3 seasons Markstrom stats barely in the top half of starting goalies in the league.. 12 to 15th in all significant goalie stats,,, Mike Smith for comparison ranks 15 to 20 range along with Talbot.

A lot of goalies are great over 30, but most of them were great from age 25-26 to age 30.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:52 AM   #65
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

We get a solid B+.

I actually think the signings were better than people think, as they set the Flames up nicely to actually make a drive at next year's playoffs. This year, the Flames didn't do as badly as it seemed in the playoffs. They lost Tkachuk, who was one of their most effective forwards, for most of the Dallas series. They lost a bunch of close games to Dallas, who ended up being a force in the playoffs. Dallas had one of the best shut down games the NHL has seen in a while, and Tkachuk was the player most likely to throw Dallas off of their system.

Addressing the goalie and defensive issues was big. Talbot/Rittich was okay, but that tandem would let in big goals at awful times. You could tell it made the team in front of them scared, and the team was force to compensate by collapsing too much. Tanev is a much better all around defenseman than either of Hamonic or Brodie.

The Flames obvious other need is additional scoring. They need a legit scoring threat that can contribute when the rest of the team is being shut down. However, with the flat cap, there simply wasn't room for this.

My hope is that Valimaki and Andersson continue to progress and become legit top 4 d-men. This will allow the Flames to trade a piece like Hanifin for a legit top 6 RW near the deadline, making the Flames a legit contender. If Valimaki and Andersson do reach their potential, the top 4 looks pretty incredible IMO:

Giordano - Tanev
Valimaki - Andersson

If we add another RW and Mangiapane and Dube continue to progress forward, the top 9 forwards look pretty great too.

Obviously, there are a lot of what ifs here, but for the first time in a while, I see a legit plan from this franchise. The team's off-season wasn't perfect, but it looks very focused. As opposed to the usual, throw money at a vet UFA and hope for the best.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 09:59 AM   #66
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have seen it mentioned a couple times, is the term with Markstrom really an issue? I don't think Goalies are a safer bet than skaters. As it has been mentioned, in his last year he will be younger than when Smith was when he first came. Similar age to Fleury going into this season, and Fleury still has one more year on his contract. Rinne won the Venzina at the same age Markstom will be in his last year.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:13 AM   #67
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn’t this thread discussing the free agent period only and not the offseason? I read people grading the team on the offseason but it is too soon to grade it.

Free agency perspective the team got a top 4 free agent that filled a hole that has been here for 7 years.

They also added a top 4 D but on a bit of a scary contract. They added the right shot top 4 guy they needed though.

Therefore free agency was a success for Calgary overall which was entirely driven by getting Markstrom in my opinion.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 10:26 AM   #68
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Isn’t this thread discussing the free agent period only and not the offseason? I read people grading the team on the offseason but it is too soon to grade it.

Free agency perspective the team got a top 4 free agent that filled a hole that has been here for 7 years.

They also added a top 4 D but on a bit of a scary contract. They added the right shot top 4 guy they needed though.

Therefore free agency was a success for Calgary overall which was entirely driven by getting Markstrom in my opinion.
Yeah, unless they think that trades should have been made on UFA day. And if they are judging to include trades, then draft day (which was a success) should be included.

Going just by UFAs, there were two clear top UFAs and the Flames grabbed one. Then after Brodie was leaving for sure (I think this is a clear conclusion) they got the best UFA Dman not named Pietrangelo. The contract is a little long, but I tend to not worry about the end years of contracts (see Gio's extension). They got some goal insurance and flexibility to move Rittich if necessary. They got some defensive depth/AHL help.

Aside from Brodie, the only real loss to UFA IMO is Reider. I think they couldn't promise him 3rd line minutes and he thinks he can get it in Buffalo, and improve his career outlook. I like Hamonic but his time here is done.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:02 AM   #69
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Rittich was at the all star game albeit replacing Kuempner.. Fleury was also in as goalie for the Pacific division.

from the NHL.com / Flames

There was no great outrage that Markstrom was robbed of the all-star honor. Markstrom was 18-13-3 with a 2.71 GAA and a .917 save percentage and 1 shut out.

Over the 1st 49 games of the schedule Markstrom would not be an significant upgrade on the goal tending that the Flames got.

Over the last complete season the Canucks (with Markstom and Tanev) gave up exactly the same number of goals as the Flames (with Rittich and Hamonic) (214) The Canucks scored 20 more 224 to 204.

over the last 3 seasons Markstrom stats barely in the top half of starting goalies in the league.. 12 to 15th in all significant goalie stats,,, Mike Smith for comparison ranks 15 to 20 range along with Talbot.

A lot of goalies are great over 30, but most of them were great from age 25-26 to age 30.
You are assuming playing with the Canucks in front of you is the same as playing with the Flames in front of you. There is a reason Markstrom got Vezina votes ahead of players with better stats than him...guy was under siege every night.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:05 AM   #70
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

Grading one thing in isolation, seems a bit incomplete to me. I am definitely guilty of providing my feedback in this thread as a view of the overall offseason, not just the days since free agency.

My main issue with the team, as it stands, is that the top 2 offensive lines are not good enough, or structured with the personel to win games come playoff time. Free agency has done nothing to address that. Free agency has definitely seen the GM attempt to solidify the goal tending and the D. I think goaltending is obviously improved (and the GM paid the $/term, to do so). They got a decent replacement d man for Brodie in my opinion. However, both these players are +30 and again, not really bargain contracts.

So overall, I'd give it an above average grade, if looking at FA in isolation. The overarching offseason grade is below average, as they haven't addressed what has caused the team to be more or less ineffective at winning tough playoff games.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:06 AM   #71
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bingo; another great take from Ricardodw using just numbers and not considering situational factors.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:11 AM   #72
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Grading one thing in isolation, seems a bit incomplete to me. I am definitely guilty of providing my feedback in this thread as a view of the overall offseason, not just the days since free agency.

My main issue with the team, as it stands, is that the top 2 offensive lines are not good enough, or structured with the personel to win games come playoff time. Free agency has done nothing to address that. Free agency has definitely seen the GM attempt to solidify the goal tending and the D. I think goaltending is obviously improved (and the GM paid the $/term, to do so). They got a decent replacement d man for Brodie in my opinion. However, both these players are +30 and again, not really bargain contracts.

So overall, I'd give it an above average grade, if looking at FA in isolation. The overarching offseason grade is below average, as they haven't addressed what has caused the team to be more or less ineffective at winning tough playoff games.
Well, the offseason isn;t done yet, and Treliving has said he's not done.

But, in any event, how were they to address the top 6? It requires a major trade IMO, which takes a bit of time outside of the UFA frenzy. IMO the only trade you'd make within that period would be if you wanted to sign Hall and had to move Gaudreau+ to do it.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:15 AM   #73
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's tough to apply a letter grade without seeing how the pieces fit, but I feel we downgraded at defense (Brodie > Tanev) and I'm skeptical about Markstrom moving the needle in net. At present I'd probably say C- based on that. Only time will tell. A lot of this team's success may still be dependant on internal growth from players like Bennett, Dube, Kylington, Valimaki, Andersson, Mangiapane, even guys like Gaudreau and Rittich who the fanbase has been down on lately.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-19-2020 at 11:17 AM.
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:17 AM   #74
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
It's tough to apply a letter grade without seeing how the pieces fit, but I feel we downgraded at defense (Brodie > Tanev) and I'm skeptical about Markstrom moving the needle in net. At present I'd probably say C- based on that. Only time will tell.
Are you assuming keeping Brodie was an option? I start from the assumption that he's gone and the Flames needed to fill a spot, downgrade or not.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:17 AM   #75
cdnsir
Farm Team Player

Exp:

B

The 2 big names were solid replacements on D and net. Both AAV and terms are a tad high, but that's Free Agency in general.

Still time to take this to an A. A finisher on a cheap 1 year contract is all that's needed. Even a streaky guy is fine, anything to help with offense when the top line goes on a drought.
cdnsir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:18 AM   #76
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Are you assuming keeping Brodie was an option? I start from the assumption that he's gone and the Flames needed to fill a spot, downgrade or not.
I would say that if keeping Brodie was not an option, that's still on management for fracturing the relationship as far back as last offseason.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:31 AM   #77
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I like what he did given where they are.

Someone this summer suggested the team wasn't going to head into a rebuild with a playoff level hockey team; that just isn't done, and honestly it's hard to argue that point.

But I still don't like this team as it's currently constructed. The top line feels broken and I'm not sure they can win with it as it's constructed. The Monahan/Gaudreau pair just don't seem to be the guys to lead a team offensively in games that matter.

Would love to be wrong on that, and we've certainly seen players and teams come back completely different from season to season.

So with a flawed core, and a playoff team, I think they did a pretty good job of fortifying their goaltending, and replacing Brodie's exit. So overall I'd give it a B+

Hopefully the log jam breaks and he can get value in a trade to shake up the the top six and make this team more interesting before the pucks drop again.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 11:33 AM   #78
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I'm not really confident in the roster yet. Gonna need big strides from Dube, Mangiapane, Bennett etc. as it stands to do any damage in the playoffs.

Markstrom might win us a round
Monahan can't be the teams 3rd best center like he was in the playoffs.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 11:36 AM   #79
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well if management has gone thru 2 offseasons/seasons knowing the problem as well as realizing it's not something that can be fixed via trade/free agency, then what's the point in investing cap/term to 30+ year old players? I would imagine that that if the holes in the core are substantial enough (top line C, top line wingers), a shrewd management team would realize that these gaps will only ever be solved by drafting and development. In which case, why are we investing term to older vets??

I suppose I'm realizing that perhaps I just don't understand the direction of the franchise. If anything, it's the dreaded, 'we know this ain't a cup contender, but being a wild card playoff contender is the target/goal '.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 11:37 AM   #80
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
You are assuming playing with the Canucks in front of you is the same as playing with the Flames in front of you. There is a reason Markstrom got Vezina votes ahead of players with better stats than him...guy was under siege every night.
I have just been informed over the last week or so that the Canucks had the best shut down d-man maybe in the free world playing big minutes in front of Markstrom.... The Flames had no equivalent having Hamonic and mistake prone Brodie being forced to play big shut down minutes

The Flame will be better off defensively now that they have the elite defender signed for 4 more years.

Green text implied
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote