Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2019, 02:21 PM   #161
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the point of throwing out a hypothetical if it can't be done? That's like suggesting they clone McDavid and just have him make passes to himself. I'm sure that would fix the Oilers problems too, but it's not a very realistic option.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:24 PM   #162
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

No idea. Just a "would you do it" by the sounds of it. But didn't sound like he was suggesting it could get done.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:53 PM   #163
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Draisaitl being a lost puppy is exactly why Edmonton should be trading him and not Puljujarvi. That contract makes it tough though.

Also, the absolute best part about all of this is that it isn't coming from Chia trying to save his job. It is coming from Katz himself. So we have Katz, Lowe and Chiarelli all trying to drive this bus. Cue Three Stooges meme.

Yeah, totally agree with Edmonton should be trading him. But, who would want a lost puppy at $8.5M? They'll need to add a lot to sweeten the pot and they don't have any sweetener in their farm.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:56 PM   #164
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
Yeah, totally agree with Edmonton should be trading him. But, who would want a lost puppy at $8.5M? They'll need to add a lot to sweeten the pot and they don't have any sweetener in their farm.
You would need to find a sucker who thinks his production with McDavid can be replicated with one of their own players. Or who thinks Draisaitl can become a true #1C. Given the difficulty of finding someone who fits the role, I think a decent GM could do it, and get a good return.

Luckily, the Oilers are 300KM away from the nearest decent GM.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 06:45 PM   #165
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Lucic has negative value. If I was Fletcher I’d say take Lucic out of the equation and you got yourself a deal. No one is taking that boat anchor, buyout proof contract. If I was Fletcher, to make the salaries work, I’d swap out an injured Sekera for Lucic. Free cap savings and a hell of a lot more useful than Lucic, if he can get back to his regular level.
I figured the 2021 1st in the trade I laid out would be the cost for Philadelphia taking Lucic off Edmonton's hands.

I think that's probably the price they'd have to pay if they were to get someone to take him: a 1st round draft pick.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:45 PM   #166
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would you make this trade?

To Edm: Sam Bennett
To Cgy: Oilers #1 draft pick
Old 01-15-2019, 06:50 PM   #167
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post

For the Flames that's more of an off seasons type move but the answer is still probably yes. The potential is there to flip that for better help almost immediately. Though the Flames are a contender, shouldn't be swapping too many players around in the next month
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:56 PM   #168
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

It would be hard not to make that trade, but one would have to believe that Bennett would absolutely light it up playing alongside McDavid.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:31 PM   #169
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I will never forgive Darryl Sutter for making it okay to deal with the Oilers.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 07:41 PM   #170
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only realistic thing the Oilers can do is trade Lucic away with the 1st... If a team wants to bite on that contract.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:09 PM   #171
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
The only realistic thing the Oilers can do is trade Lucic away with the 1st... If a team wants to bite on that contract.
Lucic kind of nullifies the value of the first.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:35 PM   #172
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
It would be hard not to make that trade, but one would have to believe that Bennett would absolutely light it up playing alongside McDavid.

Sure. Sam Bennett is going to become a superstar where ever he goes away from Calgary.

I mean, he's done sweet #### all playing along side Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan. He's done about the same playing with Matt Tkachuk and Mikael Backlund. I really wish people would stop saying that Sam Bennett is some sort of star in the making. He's a third to fourth line player with very limited skill. No, he doesn't dangle with regularity. His strength is north south and making a mess around the net. As far as his limited success, if you took where all of his goals were scored from, and stacked them up end to end, you are hard pressed to get to reachthe hash marks. People call Monahan a garbage man, but Bennett literally scores his goals from inside the blue paint of the crease. He is not going to become some star or scoring sensation. If he was traded to Edmonton he goes and replaces Chaisson and achieves the same level of success, which isn't much.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 08:41 PM   #173
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
would you make this trade?

To edm: Sam bennett
to cgy: Oilers #1 draft pick
100%.
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesAreOne For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 08:50 PM   #174
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Sure. Sam Bennett is going to become a superstar where ever he goes away from Calgary.

I mean, he's done sweet #### all playing along side Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan. He's done about the same playing with Matt Tkachuk and Mikael Backlund. I really wish people would stop saying that Sam Bennett is some sort of star in the making. He's a third to fourth line player with very limited skill. No, he doesn't dangle with regularity. His strength is north south and making a mess around the net. As far as his limited success, if you took where all of his goals were scored from, and stacked them up end to end, you are hard pressed to get to reachthe hash marks. People call Monahan a garbage man, but Bennett literally scores his goals from inside the blue paint of the crease. He is not going to become some star or scoring sensation. If he was traded to Edmonton he goes and replaces Chaisson and achieves the same level of success, which isn't much.
Relax. I was making a tongue-in-cheek comment about the possibility of that trade haunting the Flames and the reason why it wouldn't be wise to deal with the Oilers. I never said he was a star in the making.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:55 PM   #175
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oilers are the last place I would trade Bennett. Would not make that trade unless it was in the summer, and we already know that the Oilers have missed the playoffs (i.e. lottery pick)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 09:06 PM   #176
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
That's like suggesting they clone McDavid and just have him make passes to himself.

drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:27 PM   #177
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It would be very unpleasant.

Kind of like if I paid you a $1,000,000 to do x. Some people would do just about anything. But most people have a certain line they wouldn’t cross no matter what.

It’s that kind of scenario. Trading a tough, young, character guy to the Oilers for any type of return is gross and would be kind of like selling your soul.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 09:30 PM   #178
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
It would be very unpleasant.

Kind of like if I paid you a $1,000,000 to do x. Some people would do just about anything. But most people have a certain line they wouldn’t cross no matter what.

It’s that kind of scenario. Trading a tough, young, character guy to the Oilers for any type of return is gross and would be kind of like selling your soul.
So would you SB?
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:37 PM   #179
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edmonton would be idiots to trade a top 5 pick for Bennett.

That said, as a Calgary fan, i'd have no issue making that deal... a potential franchise player/top line player for a guy, with all due respect, that is a third liner (albeit with some nice intangibles that could blossom in the post season)?

that's a no brainer imo
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:42 PM   #180
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Edmonton would be idiots to trade a top 5 pick for Bennett.

That said, as a Calgary fan, i'd have no issue making that deal... a potential franchise player/top line player for a guy, with all due respect, that is a third liner (albeit with some nice intangibles that could blossom in the post season)?

that's a no brainer imo
But it's not likely a top 5 pick.

It is far more likely to be a 10-15 pick. And if you make the trade now, and he helps the Oilers make the playoffs, it's a 15-20 pick.

Lots of potential for that trade to blow up in our faces. As I said before, I would only consider it after the season, knowing the Oilers had already missed the playoffs (and probably still wouldn't do it)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: