Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2022, 05:06 PM   #401
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Lucic Bruins rumour

Nm
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 05:15 PM   #402
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I don’t think that is right though. I recall some people mentioning this when Tkachuk signed his deal as it basically minimized the amount of escrow he would pay into.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/...p1a8v24yvggd3v

Maybe this is dated information, but as late as last season, signing and performance bonuses were not subject to escrow according to the above link.
It's not dated information, it's completely wrong. It has never been right.

I posted this earlier in the summer when this was brought up before...
Quote:
The Sporting News needs to fire whoever they have fact-checking their NHL information because that is absolutely wrong. They were also still reporting that the "courting period" was still a thing even though that is something that was eliminated in the 2020 MOU.

This is directly from the CBA...
Quote:
The NHL and NHLPA agree that each Club may, in accordance with Section 50.11 of this Agreement, withhold a certain percentage of each Player's Player Salary and Bonus obligations throughout each League Year and that such funds, if any, shall be held in an Escrow Account, so that in the event that the NHL Clubs spend, on an aggregate basis, more or less on League-wide Player Compensation than the Players' Share in a particular League Year, then pursuant to the Reconciliation and Distribution Procedures, the funds in the Escrow Account shall be distributed to the League or the Players as described herein.
There is nothing in the 2020 MOU that changes how Escrow is collected.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:10 PM   #403
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Nobody is worried about production if you have a wish to add Lucic. It's his room addition, cup history and intimidation.

If you have a team in a division with some scary players and don't have a lot of size on your roster you likely value that more than most.

Is that team out there? Who knows?

But at $3.7M and only $1M actually owing it's certainly more possible than at $5.75M, full salary, and multiple years left on the deal.
Room addition, cup history and intimidation aren’t worth much if you’re hurting the team whenever you step on the ice. In the playoffs Lucic was maybe the worst skater on the team when some of those intangibles you’re referencing should have been worth more.

$3.75M is better than $5.75M but that’s still way too much for what he can bring at this point IMO. Certainly there are far cheaper options to fight off scary players.

But someone smarter than me said there are suckers born every minute. Actually lots of people smarter than me out there in general so hopefully BT pulls another rabbit out of his hat.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 06:51 AM   #404
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
I think Treliving is going to be our David Poile.

I think going foreward the whole league is going to have longer term gms .
Our David Poile is also David Poile haha. Amazing that he got his start with the Flames 50 years ago.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 06:54 AM   #405
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Poile is the only one in the league who previously worked for the Atlanta Flames yet is still working in hockey. I believe Cliff Fletcher is still a senior adviser.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 06:55 AM   #406
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Room addition, cup history and intimidation aren’t worth much if you’re hurting the team whenever you step on the ice. In the playoffs Lucic was maybe the worst skater on the team when some of those intangibles you’re referencing should have been worth more.

$3.75M is better than $5.75M but that’s still way too much for what he can bring at this point IMO. Certainly there are far cheaper options to fight off scary players.

But someone smarter than me said there are suckers born every minute. Actually lots of people smarter than me out there in general so hopefully BT pulls another rabbit out of his hat.
You're probably right which is why Lucic's value seems better suited to a team trying to get to the floor. Not sure how many of those teams exist right now but his contract is perfect for that with high cap hit low salary, expiring, and he can bring something to a young a team who needs some toughness and leadership. I actually worry about his absence in the playoffs for those reasons but if they can add a top 6 I think that's more important.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:36 AM   #407
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
You're probably right which is why Lucic's value seems better suited to a team trying to get to the floor. Not sure how many of those teams exist right now but his contract is perfect for that with high cap hit low salary, expiring, and he can bring something to a young a team who needs some toughness and leadership. I actually worry about his absence in the playoffs for those reasons but if they can add a top 6 I think that's more important.
Lucic is not a useless player by any means, especially during the playoffs, but with a $5.75M cap hit, he's a luxury we may well not be able to afford.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:48 AM   #408
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regarding Lucic retiring...

There are a couple posters who continue to state that his bonus would count against the cap, each time this comes up, but no one has ever produced anything to back that up.

I am not an expert on this, and not quoting the CBA here, but my understanding is that if/when a player retires, their contract is gone, and there is no residual cap hit.

I really wish someone would quote the CBA on this and put the issue to bed for good.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 07:51 AM   #409
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would be really surprised to see him retire and leave all that money on the table. Seems like a decision that he would end up regretting in time.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:54 AM   #410
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

There are a couple posters who continue to state that his bonus would count against the cap, each time this comes up, but no one has ever produced anything to back that up.

I am not an expert on this, and not quoting the CBA here, but my understanding is that if/when a player retires, their contract is gone, and there is no residual cap hit.

I really wish someone would quote the CBA on this and put the issue to bed for good.
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...&postcount=402
Old 08-15-2022, 07:54 AM   #411
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I would be really surprised to see him retire and leave all that money on the table. Seems like a decision that he would end up regretting in time.
He would be leaving $1M on the table.

And once retired, he could 'come out of retirement' and sign with the Bruins. For say... maybe $1M.

Everyone wins: Flames get relief, Bruins get him at a reasonable price, and Lucic goes to the Bruins and gets paid the exact same amount.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 07:56 AM   #412
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Yes, I read that when it was posted 8 posts prior. Doesn't address the issue I was discussing though.
Old 08-15-2022, 08:19 AM   #413
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Lucic is not a useless player by any means, especially during the playoffs, but with a $5.75M cap hit, he's a luxury we may well not be able to afford.
Well the Oilers players were publicly requesting in the press that Sutter play Lucic more in the second round last year, so they saw value in having Lucic on the ice.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 08:33 AM   #414
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Well the Oilers players were publicly requesting in the press that Sutter play Lucic more in the second round last year, so they saw value in having Lucic on the ice.
Can you supply a list of these players or does it start and end with Evander Kane?
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 08:41 AM   #415
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Can you supply a list of these players or does it start and end with Evander Kane?
I can’t remember if it was more than Kane (a guy who has a hell of a series and definitely is not a useless player in the playoffs). It may have just been him who said it publicly while the rest were quite concerned about the useful Milan Lucic in the playoffs.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 09:03 AM   #416
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Lucic wasn't great in the playoffs, and lost a step in the second half of the season ... no point debating that.

But using opposing comments that were clearly strategic in a BOA playoff series is somewhat silly.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 09:10 AM   #417
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
I don’t think that is allowed under the CBA but may be wrong. Otherwise it’s too obvious of an idea for both parties I would think
Players and teams can agree to mutually terminate a contract...we've just never seen it done on a contract as high profile as Lucic.

Generally it's AHLers or 4th liners that want to go play in Europe so get bought out instead.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 09:22 AM   #418
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, I read that when it was posted 8 posts prior. Doesn't address the issue I was discussing though.
I’m pretty sure if he was to retire there wouldn’t be any cap implications.
flamesgod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 09:32 AM   #419
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It doesn't make sense to me that the signing bonus portion paid out this year would count against the cap either. It was a bonus for signing the contact, not for playing the final year. It was just put on a payment schedule.

It's not like years had disproportionate cap hits based on signing bonuses. At the most, I could see a small amount counting (like $3 million / the number of years the contract was for), but not the entire amount.

It would be nice if someone could point to the part of the CBA that support the claim or an example of when it happened with another player.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:02 AM   #420
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If I read correctly, these are the scenarios on the to cap hit when NHL player retires?

If a player with retained salary retires, all of the player’s cap hit is removed.
This includes his current team and his former team that retained salary.

The exception is for players who were 35+ and signed a multi-year contract"
if that is the case, if that player retires the cap hit remains.
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Always Earned Never Given For This Useful Post: