Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2022, 08:54 AM   #1
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:
Default New York Hotels

I'm toying with the idea of a trip to NYC. I might have time the first week of November, which also coincides with the Flames being in New Jersey.

I've never been to New York and am fantasy booking hotels at this point.

I'm curious about reccomendations, location, etc. I dont want to pay $500/night for a hotel room that I'm basically just going to sleep in, but also don't want to pay for a room that's God awful, or has paper thin walls.

Willing to go off Manhattan if transportation is reasonable. So not opposed to Brooklyn, Queens, New Jersey. I'm also not super familiar with AirBNB.

The old travel threats are, well... old.

Any reccomendation and advice is appreciated, as always.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:56 AM   #2
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Few/many years ago we did the Priceline option and got a great hotel right off Time Square.

I haven't used Priceline in ages, is it still a good way to get minimum star hotels for steal of deals in good locations? Using their blind bid option and selecting like 3 or 4 stars plus? Like you don't know the hotel you commit to but you know the area and minimum star, once the credit card deal gets approved and accepted by the hotel you're on the hook, no cancellations, but you know the hotel.

OP if you have time before booking, just low ball them and try daily (they won't let you keep trying the same day with low balls), I think that is how it works. But note if they accept your offer, you have to take it.

Or is Priceline no good anymore?

Last edited by Mull; 08-08-2022 at 09:03 AM.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:00 AM   #3
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Pretty sure we did price line as well when we went a few years ago, got a 4 star in lower Manhattan for $200/night.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:20 AM   #4
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

At times NY has had bed bug issues so that's something to check into as well, in terms of reviews.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:27 AM   #5
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

We’ve stayed at quite a few and in all the different areas over the years. Probably one of the best was a few years ago at the Hilton Garden Inn on W 35th St in Midtown. Newer hotel and about as central to everything as you can get while also having a ton of restaurants and amenities near the hotel.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 09:35 AM   #6
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
We’ve stayed at quite a few and in all the different areas over the years. Probably one of the best was a few years ago at the Hilton Garden Inn on W 35th St in Midtown. Newer hotel and about as central to everything as you can get while also having a ton of restaurants and amenities near the hotel.
We stayed here in May, they have a parking garage across the street, $35 a day if youre driving. Also the hotel is as mentioned new clean and super affordable, think we got it for 130 a night CAD. we walked everywhere including times square, its really a great location for all the touristy stuff, Highly recommend
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 10:40 AM   #7
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames don't play the Rangers that week, only NJ and NYI so staying right in Manhattan may not be ideal (at least for the entire trip). I also wouldn't rent a car or drive -- there are plenty of transportation options that will get you in an and around quickly and cheaply.

When we went (10+ years ago) we stayed by Newark airport (for other reasons) and took the express bus into Manhattan. Can't provide any recommendations though as it's been too long...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:50 AM   #8
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

especially when traveling as a family of 4 in large cities we often stay at Hampton Inns (or similar) where a free breakfast is included- at any rate around a decade ago (so this is an old recommendation) we stayed at a Hampton Inn in Chelsea- which at time was 'affordable' and also for us at least- was well enough situated that we could walk (mostly) or subway as necessary
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:41 AM   #9
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Standard, High Line.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:44 AM   #10
FFR
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We stayed at the Springhill Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea in April and it was great. New hotel, centrally located (very close to the arena). Rooms were small but well designed (though everything is small in NYC). I think we paid $275CAD. They had just opened when we went to maybe prices are higher now but it was great. Breakfast was included also. Only downside was the elevators were slow at breakfast.

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotel...lsea/overview/
FFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:02 PM   #11
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Few/many years ago we did the Priceline option and got a great hotel right off Time Square.

I haven't used Priceline in ages, is it still a good way to get minimum star hotels for steal of deals in good locations? Using their blind bid option and selecting like 3 or 4 stars plus? Like you don't know the hotel you commit to but you know the area and minimum star, once the credit card deal gets approved and accepted by the hotel you're on the hook, no cancellations, but you know the hotel.

OP if you have time before booking, just low ball them and try daily (they won't let you keep trying the same day with low balls), I think that is how it works. But note if they accept your offer, you have to take it.

Or is Priceline no good anymore?
Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
Pretty sure we did price line as well when we went a few years ago, got a 4 star in lower Manhattan for $200/night.
I don't like the song and dance of Priceline bidding, but in terms of "blind booking" sites, I've had good success with Hotwire. I've used them all around Germany, Czechia, Austria, as well as in the States.

My one word of warning is that they tend to over-rate their hotels, so I wouldn't book anything below a 3.5-4 star level because a 3 might be closer to a 2 in reality.
Old 08-08-2022, 04:54 PM   #12
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Thanks folks, I completely forgot about Priceline/Hotwire.

A brief look at Hotwire they basically tell you what hotel it is with a mystery price.

Quote:
Someone recenrly booked the Ramada using this festure.

It will be either the Ramada or Holiday Inn
*refresh*

Quote:
It will be either the Ramada or Sheraton
*refresh*

Quote:
It will be either the Ramada or Hampton Inn
... gee ... I wonder if it will be the Ramada?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:08 PM   #13
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hear the Ritz-Carlton is alright if you dont mind rubbing shoulders with the local riff-raff.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:39 PM   #14
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Westin Jersey City Newport was super convenient last time I was there. You can walk to the PATH which takes you to NYC in a few minutes.

A few years ago it was ~$175 but now it seems like it's closer to ~$400.
butterfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:53 PM   #15
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Thanks folks, I completely forgot about Priceline/Hotwire.

A brief look at Hotwire they basically tell you what hotel it is with a mystery price.

*refresh*

*refresh*

... gee ... I wonder if it will be the Ramada?

Try the price line route, just ultra low ball since you have time and pick high star ratings.

Just remember if it goes through you are committed.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:22 PM   #16
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

So I used to have to travel to midtown for work, and often stayed a stone's throw from MSG.

I can attest that most of the Hiltons and Marriott properties between W 35th and W 38th are decent. The Hilton Garden Inn at Herald Square or the Springhill Suites were particularly quiet, with small rooms and thick windows. They ran (pre-pandemic) around $225 a night, but sometimes I got a better rate than the corporate booking.

Again, just a place to sleep, get some work done, that's it. Super convenient for walking anywhere. Lots of food.

Edit - dammit, just noticed you said the Devils..not the Rangers. D'oh!
Old 08-08-2022, 08:27 PM   #17
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

I was there in May - loved staying in Soho. A bit removed from the crazy of Times Square, but easy to walk or take the subway.

I took the Subway by myself from Brooklyn back to Soho at 3:00am one night and never really felt unsafe - though it was a little eerie.

If you can find a sweet deal, I really loved Soho.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:58 PM   #18
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

I've been twice and used the Pod Hotels both times. A good option if you truly don't spend time in the room.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:16 PM   #19
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Jewel near Rockefeller is our go-to. Close to everything, usually reasonably priced, clean.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:49 PM   #20
Vox
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just returned last Saturday from a week at the Lotte Palace Hotel on 50th St between Madison Ave and 5th Ave. 5-10 minute walk from both Central Park and Time Square, and 10 minutes from the United Nations building. It's a beautiful hotel, looking down on St. Pat's Cathedral, and is one of the old character hotels of New York like the Plaza and Waldorf. Somehow my wife managed to get incredible deals through costco of all places, $6K all in for flights for 4 people and 7 nights at the Lotte. Normally a room runs about $750 per night, so it's worth checking out if the deals are still available. Awesome location and beautiful hotel. Red Sox and Padres were at the hotel when we were there.
Vox is offline   Reply With Quote