Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2022, 12:46 PM   #41
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I'm not sure but I think you do the deal either way

I just read an article from New Jersey calling it an "unbeatable deal"

Basically "I ain't even mad" when they saw what was given up
I’m sure there’s lots going on behind the scenes now. Just wondering which timeline we’re on, but I’ll exercise my patience.

A. Get focused on a long term roster built around Huberdeau. Huberdeau signs a long term deal in short order.
B. Treliving only acquired Huberdeau to roast some other team for a big return and is already evaluating offers and giving Huberdeau options of where he’ll sign long term.
C. Same as B but due to Huberdeau not warming up to being here long term.
D. Huberdeau open to signing here but a lengthy contract negotiation that runs into the season.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 12:47 PM   #42
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they aren't signed before camp starts, I'd be ok not seeing either of them don a Flames jersey this season. Offer them fair contracts without low-ball offers and if they don't want to be in Calgary Tre has to move them for the best package you can get.
Old 07-24-2022, 12:58 PM   #43
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s an interesting contrast in hockey markets and lifestyle.

Both Johnny and Matthew left a hockey mad Canadian market. Huberdeau has spent his entire career in South Florida. Johnny is starting a family, and reading between the lines, it sounds like Matthew is maybe looking to “grow up” a bit as well, recognizing that there is more to life than hockey. Where is Huberdeau at and what does he want at this point of his life and career?

There are worse Canadian markets out there IMO; if he wants the pressure to perform and the spoils that go with it, I think Calgary might be a fit.

Weegar will be looking for a big payday so I think he’d be more willing to stay if the numbers make sense.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:01 PM   #44
Redlan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This thread is bad karma.
Redlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:06 PM   #45
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

They’re Calgary Flames players who are able to sign extensions.

We gonna not talk about it?
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2022, 01:10 PM   #46
iggyloob12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If karma was a concern, better abandon this entire board. The E=NG thread alone could be a karma sinkhole.
iggyloob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggyloob12 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2022, 01:15 PM   #47
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyloob12 View Post
If karma was a concern, better abandon this entire board. The E=NG thread alone could be a karma sinkhole.
If karma is real, there is no “could” about E=NG being a karmic sinkhole.
Old 07-24-2022, 01:18 PM   #48
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
If the Flames were ready to give Johnny 8 x $10.5 I'm sure they will offer it to Huberdeau. Question is does he want be in Calgary long term?
Here's the difference: If Johnny was signed to that deal, it would have started right away. If the Flames sign Huby to that deal, it will start next summer. So Huby would still be making 10.5M/year when he's 37, whereas with Johnny the final year would've been when he was 36.

That said, it is important to sign him long term, but I would hope the AAV is more along the lines of 9.5M-10M per year rather than 10.5M.
Old 07-24-2022, 01:18 PM   #49
iggyloob12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Haha. True enough. Not a great example, but there's plenty of crap-talking about players and management that might be a karma risk.
iggyloob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:34 PM   #50
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Weegar comparable players for deals are likely Spurgeon, H. Lindholm, Faulk.
That puts him in the 6.5-7.5M AAV with long term. I think he's worth that, and wouldn't mind a 7x7 deal

Huberdeau has less comparable players, possibly Gaudreau or Panarin as best matches. It will come down to what he wants. I suspect he wants to cash in, whether that is here or elsewhere, given his year last year. I'd like to see this at 10M AAV or less but the Flames position is weakened by going out and trading for him. I think this might end up at 10.5-11, if the ownership will go that high
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:41 PM   #51
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't been a cap site for a long time but our highest cap hit this season is Monahan at $6.375mil...
Old 07-24-2022, 01:48 PM   #52
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported_Aussie View Post
Weegar comparable players for deals are likely Spurgeon, H. Lindholm, Faulk.
That puts him in the 6.5-7.5M AAV with long term. I think he's worth that, and wouldn't mind a 7x7 deal

Huberdeau has less comparable players, possibly Gaudreau or Panarin as best matches. It will come down to what he wants. I suspect he wants to cash in, whether that is here or elsewhere, given his year last year. I'd like to see this at 10M AAV or less but the Flames position is weakened by going out and trading for him. I think this might end up at 10.5-11, if the ownership will go that high
I think the extension comes in at 10.25
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:49 PM   #53
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Here's the difference: If Johnny was signed to that deal, it would have started right away. If the Flames sign Huby to that deal, it will start next summer. So Huby would still be making 10.5M/year when he's 37, whereas with Johnny the final year would've been when he was 36.

That said, it is important to sign him long term, but I would hope the AAV is more along the lines of 9.5M-10M per year rather than 10.5M.
Yeah, but we get Huberdeau at a cut rate for one more year, and his extension doesn’t start until Monahan and Lucic expire.

Huberdeau is an elite player. Even if he falls off, he falls off as a 50-60 point player, maybe a 40-50 point guy by the end of the deal.

In Iggy’s 36, 37, and 38 year old seasons, he had 61, 59 and 47 points.

In the last 5 years, Huberdeau has missed 5 total games.

If there is any player, at all, that we should be comfortable giving the Gaudreau deal, it’s Jonathan Huberdeau.

As an aside, replacing Gaudreau’s 115 points with another 115 point winger who’s first name is Jon-based and who’s last name ends in “eau” is one of those things that makes you believe this is all a simulation.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2022, 01:51 PM   #54
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
Sounds like as everyone has heard already that Huberdeau isn't too happy about this situation.

I hope the rumors are true about the players here doing group zoom chats and what not.

Have any of these guys ever played together in junior, or thr A or representing Canada? Anyone know?

Just trying to see if there's any familiarity with anyone.

I have to admit I'm still a little nervous waiting to see anything as far as player Interviews go just to hear these guys speak on everything that's happened since the news came down.

Man I hope the extension happen and happen soon. Wringing my hands and continuously checking CP for more news is making me more nutso than usual.....nervous anticipation for the stsrt of 2 seasons now with us having our affiliate here which is so awesome.

Can the seasons start tomorrow? Lol.
Huberdeau isn’t unhappy with this situation, he reportedly was unhappy with how Florida handled the situation.
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rhino For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2022, 01:52 PM   #55
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
My point was you could sign them and still trade them at TDL if the team craters.

I don’t think Huby should play a single minute without a deal. I’m not as scared of letting Weegar play, though I suspect he’ll be keen to extend, even if for just 1 yr to start (not likely, but anything seems possible with him)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Players with 8 year contracts not even in play yet aren’t deadline deals.

Contenders can’t fit them in.

If they sign 8 year contracts, they are here for some time.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:57 PM   #56
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This thread feels ........familiar.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2022, 01:59 PM   #57
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Haven't been a cap site for a long time but our highest cap hit this season is Monahan at $6.375mil...
The incredible part is it even has a shot at the pacific.
Old 07-24-2022, 01:59 PM   #58
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would be nice to also get Weegar locked up long term, but there's one thing that gives me some pause. Last season he had the worst 5v5 GA/60 among the Panthers 5 big minute defensemen, and his 5v5 GA/60 Rel is in the worst quartile of the NHL among defensemen with at least 500 minutes. While it's true that Sutter will help him shore up his game, something like a 7x7 contract would be a big gamble.
Old 07-24-2022, 02:00 PM   #59
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
This thread feels ........familiar.
Yeah but this time it’s with Canadian players, who presumably were at least a little okay with coming here.

Although, time is most definitely a flat circle.
Old 07-24-2022, 02:01 PM   #60
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyloob12 View Post
E=NG is just a series of objective observations on a train wreck.

It's hardly a karmic sinkhole. The Edmonton Oilers are a karmic sinkhole.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post: