Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2022, 08:07 PM   #1641
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Anything else you don’t understand and need me to explain?
Your undeserved superiority complex.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 09:02 PM   #1642
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I've spent time in Vietnam and many other developing countries, and I get what you are saying, but it also comes at cost. Vietnam has a vehicular death rate over 4x higher than Canada per inhabitant and 6x higher per number of vehicles. Sure, the system moves more people quicker, but it also removes more of them from being in the way permanently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ted_death_rate
Damnit, Fuzz! I was all excited about Hemi-Cuda's post and thanked it, then had to go back and un thank it after your post.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 01:05 PM   #1643
Knut

Exp:

Speaking of pedestrian and curb gear grinders. If you are not going to cross the street why are you standing on the corner looking as if you want to cross the street? Just hanging out at the corner ?
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2022, 01:30 PM   #1644
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
My father-in-law drives slower than traffic because he believes slower=safer with no grey area. I'm actually forbidden about discussing driving with him after I ruined an entire Christmas dinner and made everything awkward for 20 people by arguing with him.
Henceforth, this shall be referred to as "SLIVER'S BESTEST CHRISTMAS EVAR!!"
Old 08-14-2022, 02:37 PM   #1645
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have people never seen someone roll a curb turning too sharp? Are you going claim to have NEVER hit a curb while turning? I call BS.
Old 08-14-2022, 03:00 PM   #1646
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
Speaking of pedestrian and curb gear grinders. If you are not going to cross the street why are you standing on the corner looking as if you want to cross the street? Just hanging out at the corner ?
And then suddenly cross.

People are distracted.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 03:09 PM   #1647
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sir, those are prostitutes.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 03:59 PM   #1648
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Sir, those are prostitutes.
Is that why when I stop to wave for them to cross they come over and offer me sex?
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 04:03 PM   #1649
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is that why when I stop to wave for them to cross they come over and offer me sex?
Well...I'll go out on a limb and say that its probably not because of your irresistible dashing good looks.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-14-2022, 05:15 PM   #1650
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well...I'll go out on a limb and say that its probably not because of your irresistible dashing good looks.
You'd be wrong. He is kinda cute.
Old 08-14-2022, 05:24 PM   #1651
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
You'd be wrong. He is kinda cute.
I'm just sayin' that 'street operators' arent notoriously the most discerning demographic.

You know, 'beggars can't be choosers' and all that...

Old 08-14-2022, 06:40 PM   #1652
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

App dating.

Holy mother of pearl it's such an awful experience.

I'm lucky in that I get matches and such, but the whole process is just so tedious and it's starting to get tiresome. 45,000 of the same messages back and forth to meet and be surprised that they don't look like they do in pictures, or get ghosted, or never get a date setup.

I miss the days you could establish eye contact with someone across the bar, (consentingly) start up a conversation, and then see where it goes. Feels like that doesn't happen anymore? Or at least it seems like people are a little more averse to talking IRL.

Ugh.
Old 08-14-2022, 06:59 PM   #1653
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
#### you UPS. You're brown because you're ####.
This was me with DHL recently. First time using them and they botched the delivery, then gave me a straight up lie excuse about what happened. I'm honestly more annoyed with how they handled the aftermath of the erred delivery, than the erred delivery itself.

Like messups happen, just own the messup and communicate properly. Communication matters, as do first impressions. They failed both.

Last edited by Sainters7; 08-14-2022 at 07:02 PM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 07:52 PM   #1654
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Flames Fan View Post
App dating.

I'm lucky in that I get matches and such, but the whole process is just so tedious and it's starting to get tiresome. 45,000 of the same messages back and forth to meet and be surprised that they don't look like they do in pictures, or get ghosted, or never get a date setup.

I miss the days you could establish eye contact with someone across the bar, (consentingly) start up a conversation, and then see where it goes. Feels like that doesn't happen anymore? Or at least it seems like people are a little more averse to talking IRL.

Ugh.
Online dating is for sadists lol

Spend hours and hours texting and learning the minutia of random people's lives

Get jerked around via cat fishing or ghosting, basically participating in some untelevised version of the bachelorette for damaged and broken people that are single for a reason. Best case scenario, you get to endulge in empty, unfulfilled sex. Chances of finding anything meaningful is probably 1%

Wash, rinse, repeat

Last edited by TheoFleury; 08-14-2022 at 07:55 PM.
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 08:51 PM   #1655
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean granted since Covid it's been a pain but I have had some good things come from online dating and apps. And if we're being honest here, it's pretty difficult to meet people any other way these days. There are drawbacks but putting it bluntly, if I can make it work anyone can.

Not Tinder, though.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:05 PM   #1656
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I've spent time in Vietnam and many other developing countries, and I get what you are saying, but it also comes at cost. Vietnam has a vehicular death rate over 4x higher than Canada per inhabitant and 6x higher per number of vehicles. Sure, the system moves more people quicker, but it also removes more of them from being in the way permanently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ted_death_rate
OK, forget Vietnam and other developing countries. Portugal is close to Canada for the death stats (6.3 vs. 5.8 per thousand). See the photo below I took from a window of the famous Tram #28 in Lisbon. The sidewalk width there was about 2 feet – I could touch bell ring buttons on the building doors from the tram window. The girl walking by has a phone in her hand and she IS alert to the tram. You can do both. I'd say only in the Canadian big cities the lack of pedestrian awareness is so glaring.

Yesterday, a guy wearing big headphones and looking into his phone walked right into a car in front of us on 13th Ave; he was crossing on red. He didn't even bother to apologize; just gave the driver the OMG look and kept walking...

Old 08-14-2022, 09:08 PM   #1657
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Flames Fan View Post
App dating.

Ugh.
You should hitch some rides with Knut, he gets all the ladies on the street corners. Sure, maybe some of them are men but you gotta play the hand you're dealt!

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 06:47 AM   #1658
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I mean granted since Covid it's been a pain but I have had some good things come from online dating and apps. And if we're being honest here, it's pretty difficult to meet people any other way these days. There are drawbacks but putting it bluntly, if I can make it work anyone can.

Not Tinder, though.
I've been married since before online dating and I get the feeling I would be terrible at online dating as I'm not much for small talk. It does feel a bit like a dating show as the woman probably has several guys at a time vying for her attention and I don't think I would be willing to fight for a woman that I don't even really know.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:06 AM   #1659
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The great majority of people (including those under 30) still meet their partners in traditional ways through friends, work, the bar, and hobbies.

https://www.pewresearch.org/internet...online-dating/
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 08:47 AM   #1660
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Published Feb 2020. Now I'm no sociologist but I feel like there may have been a global event between then and now which could change the way people meet partners.

Anecdotally in my friend group of mid-30-year-olds over time we're split about equally between "traditional" and various apps.

Last edited by ZedMan; 08-15-2022 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Me spel gud
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote