Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2022, 03:56 PM   #261
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have friends that moved from Calgary to Fernie, Kelowna, Coldstream, Invermere, Kimberly, Kamloops and Vancouver. All are happier and would never move back. Having said that, they are all established adults, except my son who moved to Vancouver for the 2nd time. He went for a year, came back for a year, and now he's back to Van again for good. He got a significant pay raise to move and he likes his life better there. It was too easy to get into his bad lifestyle in Calgary. In Van he lives a much healthier, cleaner lifestyle. It's mainly his friends here vs his friends there. His friends here are all into partying still. His friends there get out and are active and they don't party like the ones here. Meaning no drugs.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:49 PM   #262
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Neat list. A separate tier for only NYC And London seems a bit silly.
I’d wager virtually every family in the global elite has a residence in at least one of those two cities. I don’t think you could say the same about the cities in the next tier.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 06:17 PM   #263
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Vancouver less diverse than Seattle?

Anecdotally that doesn't seem true at all, just travelling around both cities. I don't know the actual stats difference, though.
I guess it depends on one's definition of diversity. Sure Vancouver has a higher proportion of Chinese people and a lower proportion of white people, but any American city will have more black, Latino, and Pacific islander population automatically. Seattle also seems to have more vibrant cultural businesses like restaurants. I guess that could be just an issue of a more accessible and larger economy.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 07:28 PM   #264
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Vancouver is straight up unfriendly, and there's an awful social/nightlife for those aged 35+. Although that second part is likely true of all Canadian cities but Toronto and Montreal. Both Montreal and Toronto have a lot of options for people aged 35+. They have all sorts of cocktail bars, after work places, etc...that all cater towards older working professionals.

Calgary is also somewhat dead for people aged 35+, but for different reasons than Vancouver. In Calgary it seems like everyone retreats into their family lives in the suburbs. People in Vancouver are just what I'd call polite jerks. People in Vancouver just don't want to do stuff. It's very strange. Part of it is exhaustion caused by the high cost of living. There's also a bizarre sense of social status in Vancouver, where people don't want to fraternize with the lower classes, but no one in Vancouver is really actually sophisticated, some just have lots of money from property.
Blankall, I am curious, do you currently live in Vancouver or have before? I cannot recall as to where you reside. Reason is, I have lived in both cities, at times going back and forth for years, for work and pleasure.

A lot of my friends whom are +35 or over are incredibly social and we go out all the time. I find the percentage of people who are in that age bracket have many options for going out. From lounges, to great restaurants and some semblance of nightlife. Certainly not as good as Toronto or Montreal, but considerably better than Calgary. Though, the nightlife in Calgary is pretty lame overall, so its not a good comparable.

Agreed on the suburb life in Calgary, then again, its the prairie phenomenon, where alot of people have kids and get married at a younger age compared to places like Toronto, Mtl or Van. It is even more apparent when one meets a single woman over 28 in Calgary, its likely she has been married or has at least one kid.

Whereas in the other cities, it is not uncommon to meet a female in her late 30s who has never been married and has not kids.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:43 AM   #265
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The BCGEU announced job action starts today. The union is BC's largest, representing 33,000 provincial public sector employees. The strike is starting by targeting select liquor distribution centers and cannabis outlets.

The main point of contention is that workers want salaries tied to cost of living while the province is offering arbitrary increases much lower.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/strike-action-...uses-1.6027469
Old 08-15-2022, 10:52 AM   #266
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
We're getting into sticky territory here. However, I do think that the perceived wealth of communities that have multi-generational families in one household is greater than the actual wealth.

You might find a family in a massive and expensive house, but there could be 3+ sets of independent family units in one building. Therefore, you have to divide the value by 3+. The rent savings of living like that would also allow you to spend more money on things like vehicles.

Great way to pool assets, save, and invest....but you also have to live with the in-laws.

Specifically, with Sikhs there are also many first generation immigrants who are working their @#$@# off in factories and mills, driving cabs, doing janitorial work, working security, etc... and these people are not rich.

The people that do have wealth tend to by their children gifts north american born parents wouldn't (ex fancy cars), so it adds to the perception of their being more wealth there than there actually is.

I have many Sikh friends, who on the face appear ridiculously wealthy, but when you break it down to actual assets per person, it's not as crazy as it seems.
OK, I can admit that I am wrong and what you say makes sense. The Sikh's I personally know are not incredibly wealthy either and most are first or second generation. The Sikh community in BC dates back to to the late 1800s and I do believe a lot of the original Sikh settlers made out really well and are more established that many other communities in BC. Many of the families that were located in BC by the British in the 1800s were able to acquire cheap agricultural land that today is really valuable. The British took advantage of Sikh agricultural expertise in a lot of their Pacific and African colonies. Several years ago when I was working in geotechnical consulting and the valley was blowing up with development, it seemed like the firm I was working for was almost exclusively doing work for Sikhs developing their properties, so my experience probably gave me a skewed perspective on the reality and introduced me to one extreme side. I will say this, they had a reputation for being extremely hard working and honest.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 08-15-2022 at 11:36 AM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:12 AM   #267
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Meaning no drugs.
Statistically and anecdotally, I find this almost impossible to believe. Drug use is on an entirely different level in Vancouver than in Calgary.
Not meant as a review of your son at all, just that this is the opposite of everything I know from people in my own life and drug use statistics collected by stats can.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:20 AM   #268
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
The BCGEU announced job action starts today. The union is BC's largest, representing 33,000 provincial public sector employees. The strike is starting by targeting select liquor distribution centers and cannabis outlets.

The main point of contention is that workers want salaries tied to cost of living while the province is offering arbitrary increases much lower.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/strike-action-...uses-1.6027469
Lol! This will go well.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:30 AM   #269
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
OK, I can admit that I am wrong and what you say makes sense. The Sikh's I personally know are not incredibly wealthy either and most are first or second generation. The Sikh community in BC dates back to to the late 1800s and I do believe a lot of the original Sikh settlers made out really well and are more established that many other communities in BC. Many of the families that were located in BC by the British in the 1800s were able to acquire cheap agricultural land that today is really valuable. The British took advantage of Sikh agricultural expertise is a lot of their Pacific and African colonies. Several years ago when I was working in geotechnical consulting and the valley was blowing up with development, it seemed like the firm I was working for was almost exclusively doing work for Sikhs developing their properties, so my experience probably gave me a skewed perspective on the reality and introduced me to one extreme side. I will say this, they had a reputation for being extremely hard working and honest.
You're not incorrect but I'd say the distinction is Sikh families are over represented comparative to population in the middle & upper middle class.

We're not prevalent in lower class/lower income but also not that prevalent in the truly wealthy. Very prevalent in the upper middle.

When it comes to Vancouver's super wealthy buying up all the Lamborghinis & Mega mansions, that's not often Indians of any type.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:39 AM   #270
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchoice View Post
Blankall, I am curious, do you currently live in Vancouver or have before? I cannot recall as to where you reside. Reason is, I have lived in both cities, at times going back and forth for years, for work and pleasure.

A lot of my friends whom are +35 or over are incredibly social and we go out all the time. I find the percentage of people who are in that age bracket have many options for going out. From lounges, to great restaurants and some semblance of nightlife. Certainly not as good as Toronto or Montreal, but considerably better than Calgary. Though, the nightlife in Calgary is pretty lame overall, so its not a good comparable.

Agreed on the suburb life in Calgary, then again, its the prairie phenomenon, where alot of people have kids and get married at a younger age compared to places like Toronto, Mtl or Van. It is even more apparent when one meets a single woman over 28 in Calgary, its likely she has been married or has at least one kid.

Whereas in the other cities, it is not uncommon to meet a female in her late 30s who has never been married and has not kids.
I've lived in Vancouver for about 18 years. I moved to Victoria in 1998, and Vancouver about 5 years after, with a year in Toronto somewhere there.

Vancouver certainly has lots of places to go with friends for drinks. It doesn't have the mingling/socializing type places that other cities have. If you're looking to sit down with a small group of friends and have a few drinks, every city has options for that. Cities like Toronto have a fairly established scene, where large groups of 35+ people are going for drinks after work and it's a large and social scene, that includes cocktail bars, dance clubs, grungier style pubs, etc... Vancouver is totally lacking in that, with only a few small pockets of that scene.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 01:41 PM   #271
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Lol! This will go well.
Hitting the liquor warehouses is the smart move. Doesn't effect any essential services, but will inconvenience a lot of people very quickly and should force the government back to the table.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 01:47 PM   #272
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Hitting the liquor warehouses is the smart move. Doesn't effect any essential services, but will inconvenience a lot of people very quickly and should force the government back to the table.
Oh I agree, I think its brilliant.

Its just that this is the "BC is unsatisfied" thread, and now they're going to take away their booze and weed!

Theres going to be riots!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 01:51 PM   #273
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh I agree, I think its brilliant.

Its just that this is the "BC is unsatisfied" thread, and now they're going to take away their booze and weed!

Theres going to be riots!!
Calm down there. It's been months since the Canucks didn't win the Stanely Cup. Things will remain peaceful.
Old 08-15-2022, 01:57 PM   #274
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
It could be great for the independent breweries and wineries though, who sell their own products on site.
Old 08-15-2022, 02:04 PM   #275
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Calm down there. It's been months since the Canucks didn't win the Stanely Cup. Things will remain peaceful.
You know its always just there, simmering below the surface...

Old 08-15-2022, 02:05 PM   #276
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It could be great for the independent breweries and wineries though, who sell their own products on site.
Do they not sell through the same distribution networks? I don't know a whole lot about the local distribution systems, so I'm just speculating, but I would expect the lion's share of the business for most independent breweries is still through distribution rather than on-site sales.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 02:07 PM   #277
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's a solid point.
Old 08-15-2022, 02:08 PM   #278
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Do they not sell through the same distribution networks? I don't know a whole lot about the local distribution systems, so I'm just speculating, but I would expect the lion's share of the business for most independent breweries is still through distribution rather than on-site sales.
Yes, but you can still go and purchase directly from them if the liquor stores are out of stock. I don't know that they'd be able to keep up with demand if this drags on for a while, but it will probably give them a temporary boost.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 02:18 PM   #279
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You know its always just there, simmering below the surface...
You just want to see us who live here suffer even more...
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 02:21 PM   #280
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
The margin for on-site sales is going to be much higher, as they are charging full price but not selling to the middle man first.

As far as on-site vs. distribution, that's going to depend on the individual brewery. Some have tons of presence in retail stores, but others have almost none. Almost all the breweries are going to be pretty packed during peak times, at this time of year.

There's also a lot of independent liquor stores in BC.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:

Tags
but ocean and mountains , but top 3 in world