Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-30-2019, 11:02 AM   #41
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I agree with the BYOD setup as well. I've been doing it for a long time and have slowly gotten a really good plan for no cost increase.

As an example, the Pixel 3 is currently $600 from Google on a sale right now, and you can get a 4 GB phone plan from Fido for $50 a month. If you're to work out the price of the phone over two years, it's essentially $75 a month for a good phone and a plan.

Fido is offering a Pixel 3 for $0 on an XL plan. The only phone plan for an XL plan is 10 GB for $105 a month. So you're spending $30 a month more than the BYOD route for a "free" phone, which I can only see being appealing for those who can't afford to upfront $600+ at the start.

Last edited by Mazrim; 08-30-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:29 PM   #42
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I agree with the BYOD setup as well. I've been doing it for a long time and have slowly gotten a really good plan for no cost increase.

As an example, the Pixel 3 is currently $600 from Google on a sale right now, and you can get a 4 GB phone plan from Fido for $50 a month. If you're to work out the price of the phone over two years, it's essentially $75 a month for a good phone and a plan.

Fido is offering a Pixel 3 for $0 on an XL plan. The only phone plan for an XL plan is 10 GB for $105 a month. So you're spending $30 a month more than the BYOD route for a "free" phone, which I can only see being appealing for those who can't afford to upfront $600+ at the start.
Koodo is usually better than either of those options. For a Pixel 3, right now you can get it for $480 ($120 up front + $15 per month for 2 years) with a $50 4GB plan ($55 if you want unlimited minutes). And they'll throw in a "$100 bonus gift" which I believe is a prepaid Visa card.

So you're only out $120 up front and the end result is about $65-70 a month over 2 years including the phone.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:44 PM   #43
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I took the geek route last time I was upgrading and made a spreadsheet with the cost of a phone over 2 years under various options. I found that if the phone was at full price it was generally a better deal to get it on a contract (which contract was best varied from phone to phone) but if I could get a reasonable sale on the phone BYOD would be better value and give more flexibility.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 11:56 AM   #44
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
I took the geek route last time I was upgrading and made a spreadsheet with the cost of a phone over 2 years under various options. I found that if the phone was at full price it was generally a better deal to get it on a contract (which contract was best varied from phone to phone) but if I could get a reasonable sale on the phone BYOD would be better value and give more flexibility.

Entirely subjective on the phone......
Old 09-01-2019, 09:07 AM   #45
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Contracts can be competitive to fully purchased phones. However I see a few more advantages to BYOD.

Getting a device first. When the iPhone X came out I got mine in October, others upgrading on contract got theirs as late as February.

Power to switch providers when desired. I will admit this was not used by me too much until the last 18 months. When I got the iPhone X almost 2 years ago, the price was about $105 for 5GB data. Very reasonable at that time.

However I believe shortly after getting the phone promotions started to come in. I had a code for friends and family on Wind for 15gb/$35. I could not have used if I was on contract as it would have expired Oct 2019.

I used the code for a family member, but am currently on a BYOD with Bell $75/15GB Plan. All said I have better maximize value by using BYOD over contract. I just had to be willing to switch a few times.

I think that is the power of BYOD.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:46 PM   #46
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Agreed! Thought I was missing something.

Think we'll go with Telus for her (she wants the Samsung Note 10 and they are exclusive dealer for that phone and seemingly only thru Best Buy, or a Samsung store, if we had one).

Anyone with any guidance on a plan to get on Telus. I'm admittedly at a loss coming from Freedom plans, to trying to even understand what is being offered.
Check the Telus EPP website to see if your employer or wife's employer qualify for corporate rates. They have the Note 10 available for pre order and I believe it includes a $300 device discount. I just transferred two Telus consumer lines to the Telus EPP and we now have 10gb shared plans (20gb total) and Galaxy S10+ phones for $71 per month. Looks like the Telus EPP has the Note 10 available for $102 per month with their 10gb plan.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2020, 05:54 PM   #47
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone use Public Mobile?
$40 for unlimited talk/text and 4.5GB of data seems too good to be true
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/pl...4500MB-3Gspeed
From what I can tell they use Telus infrastructure so the coverage should be good. I don't care that the data is 3G. I'm shopping around and all the majors want at least $75, mind you that is for faster speed 10GB data (which I don't need)
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:17 PM   #48
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Sounds alright!

Have you looked into Freedom Mobile? Bring in your own phone and you pay 50 bucks a month for 10 GB of data on their LTE network. Mind you their network is only available in most major urban areas in Canada, so if you're in a rural area, or small town it doesn't make much sense. Plus they're owned by Shaw which I imagine wants to become a major player in the telecom industry in Canada so I imagine their network will likely only grow and improve!

*Just a freedom customer not affiliated with the company in any way.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2020, 06:51 PM   #49
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw that but I don't need the data and like Telus's coverage, plus it's cheaper.
Just seems a little too good of a deal, there has to be a catch.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:49 PM   #50
Dirty Mr. Clean
First Line Centre

Exp:

Public Mobile is Telus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...hone_companies
Dirty Mr. Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Mr. Clean For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 06:50 AM   #51
zzibradleyizz
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Mobility plans

No catch, I was with them for a similar plan, though it was $40 for I believe 4GB back then. Then I had an offer from Koodo (sister company) as my plan was expiring (after 2 years) which was $40 for 6GB though. Then a couple weeks after I transitioned to Koodo I got an offer for $13 for 9GB add on. So I pay $53 for 15GB now. All plans were unlimited talk and text Canada wide. All on the TELUS network and have never had any issues!

Last edited by zzibradleyizz; 02-27-2020 at 06:52 AM.
zzibradleyizz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zzibradleyizz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 06:53 AM   #52
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Anyone use Public Mobile?
$40 for unlimited talk/text and 4.5GB of data seems too good to be true
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/pl...4500MB-3Gspeed
From what I can tell they use Telus infrastructure so the coverage should be good. I don't care that the data is 3G. I'm shopping around and all the majors want at least $75, mind you that is for faster speed 10GB data (which I don't need)
I use Public and have that exact plan with an extra 500MB/m bonus. They also give you $2/m off if you autopay. I don’t notice the difference in 3G at all but I don’t stream or watch videos on my phone. Coverage is great as they are owned by Telus so use Telus towers. Public also has a referral bonus too
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 09:54 AM   #53
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Public Mobile is just fine. As others have said, it's owned by and operates off the Telus network.

The "catch" really is there is no physical store and no support number you can call. You basically have to set up the whole thing online which isn't all that difficult. I think I had order a SIM card online and wait for it to show up. You also need to port your number yourself. Again, not that difficult.

Only reason I moved to Koodo was for the international roaming option. Last I checked, PM only works in Canada/US.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 04:36 PM   #54
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think you will be very happy with public. Been on a sister company for years and have had no complaints.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 05:28 PM   #55
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks all, my Telus guy is getting creative trying to keep my account. Funny how they find solutions when you tell them you are switching.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:55 AM   #56
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Just an aside for anyone with freedom, wondering if they will start charging "big three" prices because they're owned by Shaw and they're spending tens of millions upgrading infrastructure.

It looks like they're going a different direction. They're actually going to start a Shaw mobility to directly compete with Telus/Rogers, and keep freedom as their "koodo". Plan was apparently to use the discount service (freedom) to break in and go through the growing pains of building up infrastructure, and then launch the flagship service with no kinks. First impressions and all that.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 08:43 AM   #57
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno. Its funny how our usage changes over time. can't imagine being limited to 3G data now
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:03 AM   #58
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I dunno. Its funny how our usage changes over time. can't imagine being limited to 3G data now
Right? I remember when I got 6GB and thought I'd never exceed it. Then I did a few months in a row and was happy to jump on the 10GB plan. Exceeded that recently, and just so happened to catch a limited time offer from Telus to get 20GB for the same price as 10 - can't imagine going over that now but I'm sure I will one day!
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:42 PM   #59
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
Right? I remember when I got 6GB and thought I'd never exceed it. Then I did a few months in a row and was happy to jump on the 10GB plan. Exceeded that recently, and just so happened to catch a limited time offer from Telus to get 20GB for the same price as 10 - can't imagine going over that now but I'm sure I will one day!
Heh. My 7 or 8 used to seem adequate, mostly. Now that I'm in the US and data is 'unlimited' (throttled after 55GB with T-Mobile), I routinely use 40GB. Now am eyeing a new phone for fall with 5G, as it's nationwide now.
Lol
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 03:35 PM   #60
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
' (throttled after 55GB with T-Mobile)
Throttled to what speed? Took a peek at the Telus "unlimited plan" and they throttle down to 512Kbs after a measly 10 gig.

Man I detest Canadian Telecom.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote