Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-24-2015, 11:30 AM   #41
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any recommendations for Ramen or Pho? I like Menyatei in Kensington.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:38 AM   #42
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Any recommendations for Ramen or Pho? I like Menyatei in Kensington.
That is a great, popular place.

Ikemen Raman Bar opened this summer on 10th St:

http://calgaryherald.com/storyline/j...-sitting-there

https://www.facebook.com/ikemenramen/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2015, 02:58 PM   #43
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Shiki Menya in Bridgeland has great ramen. They only do lunch though.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:43 PM   #44
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
That is a great, popular place.

Ikemen Raman Bar opened this summer on 10th St:

http://calgaryherald.com/storyline/j...-sitting-there

https://www.facebook.com/ikemenramen/
I'll add another recommendation to this place.

I live just a block or so away and had it for the second time last night for takeout. Very delicious.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #45
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

If anyone has a craving for Mexican, I really recommend Native Tongues on 12th ave.

http://www.nativetongues.ca/#intro-section

We were only there to enjoy the happy hour menu, but it was quite outstanding.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:56 PM   #46
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Only for bruch, which was excellent. I live right near there so I'm surprised I haven't done dinner more often.
Late report back. We stayed at the Inn and had dinner at Chefs Table. The hotel is fantastic btw - best service in Calgary I would say.
Dinner was... meh. The setting is great - love the style. Service was great. The food was ok, but for $350 it better be more, a LOT more, than ok. Just nothing particularly memorable and rather blandish.
Just not worth it to spend that kind of money when I can go to a wide variety of "ethnic" restaurants and have great food for a fraction of the price...
Will definitely return to the hotel but not the restaurant.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:40 PM   #47
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
My son is crazy about this place and wants to go there Sunday - how busy does it get (no reservations accepted)?

http://www.dutchpancakes.ca/
Always very busy, however they are traditional Dutch pancakes (the owner flew in a chef from the Netherlands to train the cooks here). The owner used to work with my mom before starting the restaurant.the servings are big and the price is good, would vouch for anyone thinking of going.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:43 PM   #48
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

I went down to Home & Away the week it opened and I was quite impressed. The daily specials have looked tempting, just wish I could get down there more.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2015, 12:14 PM   #49
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Always very busy, however they are traditional Dutch pancakes (the owner flew in a chef from the Netherlands to train the cooks here). The owner used to work with my mom before starting the restaurant.the servings are big and the price is good, would vouch for anyone thinking of going.
+1 for this place. Probably the kind of place that all restaurants should emulate. Good, cheap, delicious, unpretentious.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:02 PM   #50
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
+1 for this place. Probably the kind of place that all restaurants should emulate. Good, cheap, delicious, unpretentious.
How early do you have to get there on a Saturday to get a seat? The kids will be up at 6 regardless.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:46 PM   #51
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone been to Blink? Thoughts?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:12 PM   #52
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

^I have, six times, two dinners and four lunches. They're in a very tough competition with their neighbour Divino for the best restaurant in the downtown core, IMO (steakhouses are a separate category and at last check a case could be made for DownTownFood). The cheese souffle they do is unreal.

Meanwhile Divino has foie gras ravioli... it's a culinary fight to the death.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:16 PM   #53
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
How early do you have to get there on a Saturday to get a seat? The kids will be up at 6 regardless.
I haven't been in a couple of years, but I think that if you got there at opening time, you could get in. It doesn't seem to suffer from the hordes of hungover 20 and 30 somethings looking to eat bacon and eggs.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:18 PM   #54
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
^I have, six times, two dinners and four lunches. They're in a very tough competition with their neighbour Divino for the best restaurant in the downtown core, IMO (steakhouses are a separate category and at last check a case could be made for DownTownFood). The cheese souffle they do is unreal.

I like Blink - but much prefer Divino. One of my favourites as well.

DownTownFood is no more unfortunately.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:30 PM   #55
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Didn't like either one that much. Or I should say - I liked them, but not nearly enough to want to spend $300. They both have their dishes - cheese souffle at Blink and the foie gras ravioli at Divino. Blink at least had decent portion sizes. Divino's were so small we had to get the cheese plate for dessert. Both are very nice in terms of ambiance - I just refuse to pay that much for ok food.
This leads to my usual rant about the so-called modern, "fancy" restaurants in Calgary - they all seem 2nd tier in terms of quality and incredibly expensive (compared to NY or Chicago, for instance). My guess is they are vehicles for extracting superfluous oil & gas money from people who don't know any different. We will see how it shakes out now that a lot of those people lost their jobs... My favourite from this class of establishment is Alloy. It has consistently the best food, and they have some dishes that are consistently superior to the competition (short rib, gnocchi and the ahi tuna).

Old 12-02-2015, 07:59 PM   #56
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The wife and I go to pannekoeken often enough on Saturday or Sunday morning not long after they open (between 8 and 9) and really never have to wait. Chaos though by the time we are leaving.

Haven't tried Belmont diner yet. Very well spoken of, but any CP feedback? Or The Loop across the street?

Been meaning to mention for a while, but we went to Parc on 17th way back in October and it was one of the best restaurant experiences we have had in Calgary. It ended up being very pricey, but only because went all out by properly having something from every part of the menu- along with a couple bottles of wine and a cocktail or two. Similar praise, but for an Italian restaurant, for Villa Firenze. 2 great restaurants.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:37 AM   #57
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Didn't like either one that much. Or I should say - I liked them, but not nearly enough to want to spend $300. They both have their dishes - cheese souffle at Blink and the foie gras ravioli at Divino. Blink at least had decent portion sizes. Divino's were so small we had to get the cheese plate for dessert. Both are very nice in terms of ambiance - I just refuse to pay that much for ok food.
This leads to my usual rant about the so-called modern, "fancy" restaurants in Calgary - they all seem 2nd tier in terms of quality and incredibly expensive (compared to NY or Chicago, for instance). My guess is they are vehicles for extracting superfluous oil & gas money from people who don't know any different. We will see how it shakes out now that a lot of those people lost their jobs... My favourite from this class of establishment is Alloy. It has consistently the best food, and they have some dishes that are consistently superior to the competition (short rib, gnocchi and the ahi tuna).
Huh. I would never have pegged you as such a connoisseur. Figured you'd be more of a borscht, blini, piroshki, pilmeni, vereniki, kind of guy.

That probably come across a bit insulting. It's not meant to be. I'm trying to say that I had you figured as a man of simple tastes. Other than enjoying a great steak or a nice hunk of beef, I definitely enjoy some nice Russian/Ukrainian food.

I'm guilty of stereotyping I guess.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:57 AM   #58
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
Huh. I would never have pegged you as such a connoisseur. Figured you'd be more of a borscht, blini, piroshki, pilmeni, vereniki, kind of guy.

That probably come across a bit insulting. It's not meant to be. I'm trying to say that I had you figured as a man of simple tastes. Other than enjoying a great steak or a nice hunk of beef, I definitely enjoy some nice Russian/Ukrainian food.

I'm guilty of stereotyping I guess.
All good things. I am a man of simple tastes, though usually it runs to pho, and pad thai.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:18 AM   #59
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where's your thai place? For me, for pho I like Codo on 17th, but while delicious thai in Kensington is good, I don't really have a favourite in that genre. For chinese, it's Szechuan restaurant on 16th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Haven't tried Belmont diner yet. Very well spoken of, but any CP feedback? Or The Loop across the street?
It's a carbon copy of Galaxie Diner on 11th st. Same vibe, same menu, same everything. I've eaten at both a few times for breakfast; they do the sort of throwback diner comfort food thing quite well, though I'd say a bit pricey given what it is.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:20 AM   #60
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Where's your thai place? For me, for pho I like Codo on 17th, but while delicious thai in Kensington is good, I don't really have a favourite in that genre. For chinese, it's Szechuan restaurant on 16th.

It's a carbon copy of Galaxie Diner on 11th st. Same vibe, same menu, same everything. I've eaten at both a few times for breakfast; they do the sort of throwback diner comfort food thing quite well, though I'd say a bit pricey given what it is.
I like Bangkok Noi on Center and 12th. For pho Bow River at Elbow and Heritage. The broth is always good.

Tags
fast food sucks , local owned , support small business