Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2020, 01:29 PM   #61
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I'll tell you one thing that's frustrating as hell is having a selfish, narcissistic, overbearing parent who is completely unsupportive of your weight loss efforts. I try to go for dinner with my dad once a week and he always wants to go for pizza. I've mentioned on countless occasions that I'm trying to restrict my carb intake but I always get guilted with #### like "Well one day of having pizza won't hurt," "I only get to have pizza when I'm with you," or "Well you drink on the weekends so it's not fair that you won't eat pizza with me," despite the fact that I've mentioned about a thousand times that when I drink on the weekend, it's usually zero carb drinks like gin and soda or vodka seltzers.

Anyone else deal with this type of manipulative bull#### and have any suggestions? I've gotten to the point where I'm pretty comfortable turning down unhealthy foods at the office, but I just get tired of putting up a fight when it comes to dealing with my dad.
not a solution to the root of the problem, but just eat the toppings off the pizza next time.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 02:19 PM   #62
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
Unfortunately cauliflower crust pizza usually has more carbs than regular.

There are a lot place doing either parm crust or fathead crust.

I love Jon’s pizza in the SE, so good!
I read this and thought "Can't be, I remember seeing the cauliflower crust being less..."

So I decided to check up on it and ... holy crap:

https://bostonpizza.com/en/nutrition.html

BP'S ORIGINAL 8" INDY (PEPPERONI)
Calories - 710kcal
Protein - 35g
Carbohydrates - 89g
Dietary Fiber - 4g
Total Sugars - 10g
Fat - 25g
Sodium - 1450mg

CAULIFLOWER CRUST PEPPERONI 8'' INDY
Calories - 790kcal
Protein - 28g
Carbohydrates - 99g
Dietary Fiber - 5g
Total Sugars - 6g
Fat - 31g
Sodium - 1860mg

I'm staggered by this. Higher calories, less protein, more net carbs (85g vs 94g), more fat, more sodium. Who gives a crap about 4g less sugar when everything else is trending in the wrong direction.

The power of marketing in action... ffffffff.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 02:37 PM   #63
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Caulipower Pizza's are a much better option.

And I think when I researched Pizza73's there were some significant caloric savings as well.

I would bet BP's cauliflower crust is cauliflower-like and not quite the true product.

On another note, EDO chicken chopchop bowls with cauliflower rice are amazing.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:18 PM   #64
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

the cauliflower pizza dough that places are offering are gluten-free, not keto-friendly.

Make fathead dough at home. It's super easy and tasty.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:34 PM   #65
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Question for those on the Keto Diet. Did you do this purely to lose weight? Or to feel the positive effects of ketosis? Or both? What exactly do you feel like when you're in a state of ketosis?
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:38 PM   #66
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Caulipower Pizza's are a much better option.

And I think when I researched Pizza73's there were some significant caloric savings as well.

I would bet BP's cauliflower crust is cauliflower-like and not quite the true product.

On another note, EDO chicken chopchop bowls with cauliflower rice are amazing.
csnarpy is right, be careful of the cauliflower pizza if you're thinking it's a lot healthier than normal pizza.

Compare the Super Plant (fake meat) with Cauliflower Crust to the Meat Supreme with regular crust.

Super Plant (1/8 of pizza)
Calories: 190kcals
Protein: 11g
Carbs: 22g
Fibre: 2g

Meat Supreme (1/8 of pizza)
Calories: 200kcals
Protein: 12g
Carbs: 19g
Fibre: 1g

Super Plant is really only better in saturated fats and cholesterol.

10 calories per slice isn't significant enough for me to sacrifice taste.

https://www.pizza73.com/Pizza73/nutritional-info

Last edited by KTrain; 01-30-2020 at 03:42 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:57 PM   #67
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
csnarpy is right, be careful of the cauliflower pizza if you're thinking it's a lot healthier than normal pizza.

Compare the Super Plant (fake meat) with Cauliflower Crust to the Meat Supreme with regular crust.

Super Plant (1/8 of pizza)
Calories: 190kcals
Protein: 11g
Carbs: 22g
Fibre: 2g

Meat Supreme (1/8 of pizza)
Calories: 200kcals
Protein: 12g
Carbs: 19g
Fibre: 1g

Super Plant is really only better in saturated fats and cholesterol.

10 calories per slice isn't significant enough for me to sacrifice taste.

https://www.pizza73.com/Pizza73/nutritional-info
I don't get the superplant toppings, just the cauliflower crust. They are meat alternative ones, and often higher calories than the regular toppings (most meat alternative items are significantly higher calories).
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:23 PM   #68
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
You are doing exactly what I just started. IF, 1600 unless I'm doing a gym day then I go to 2100....and no booze.

First week I dropped 6.2 lbs.
I have a bit of a hierarchy I try and follow to make it easier and sustainable long term. 5 days a week I follow this plan (my work days).

1) 16-18 hour fast , eating my 1st meal around 11-noon
2) I wont snack or eat after 7pm
3) If net carbs under 60 I wont really count my calories
4) If net carbs are between 80 to 100 I'll try and keep my net calories to under 1500
5) If net carbs are over 100 I've ####ed up
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:20 PM   #69
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Question for those on the Keto Diet. Did you do this purely to lose weight? Or to feel the positive effects of ketosis? Or both? What exactly do you feel like when you're in a state of ketosis?
I did it primarily to lose weight. Once I did, I kept with it because I just felt like I had more energy and was less sluggish when I was off carbs. That's not just a side effect of being lighter, because I went back on carbs for a while and found that lower carbs yielded better results for me. Less bloated too, which makes sense when you consider low carb will reduce your fluid retention.

The 'keto flu' is only when you first start, and once you've been fat-adapted previously, getting back to it is so much easier with a much shorter 'keto flu' period.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 05:50 PM   #70
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I did it primarily to lose weight. Once I did, I kept with it because I just felt like I had more energy and was less sluggish when I was off carbs. That's not just a side effect of being lighter, because I went back on carbs for a while and found that lower carbs yielded better results for me. Less bloated too, which makes sense when you consider low carb will reduce your fluid retention.

The 'keto flu' is only when you first start, and once you've been fat-adapted previously, getting back to it is so much easier with a much shorter 'keto flu' period.
Same. I also find I am not nearly as hungry. I used to constantly snack, now I have much more control over my appetite.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 09:56 PM   #71
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
It is not really a gimmick, it has been around for years. It is a proven model to go into Ketosis to burn fat. I am not struggling at all with it, just thought a support thread would be cool.
It is a gimmick, that fact that it has been around for years doesn't negate that.

Ketosis is a metabolic process that happens in everyones body, not a state of being. High levels of ketones put allot of strain on the systems to balance PH, making it likely that in the long run this type of diet is relatively unhealthy for your liver, kidneys and pancreas (although as with any dietary concern its almost impossible to control for or proven, this is just a likely hypothesis based on the mechanisms that are at work).

In general if the dietary advice you are getting is to put strong restrictions on a specific group of foods, you are getting poorly sourced, unfounded advise, that is in fact a gimmick designed to sell books. If you are being advised to eat a diverse diet that is mostly (but not all) vegetables, you might have found someone listening to a reputable nutritionist. The problem with this advice being that it is very vague and unmarketable.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 10:33 PM   #72
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
Been keto almost over 2 years, I strict it out a few times a year for about 3 weeks. Lost over 30 lbs initially and have maintained since. I’m completely energized and use my Sous vide to its fullest potential.

As for social drinking, I’ll never give it up. I was a big beer drinker and was in heaven while working at Craft. But I changed it up - now it’s Pinot Noir’s, Sauv Blanc’s and Vodka water or soda.

It took a while to find my balance but I found a great plan/guide and have never looked back.

(If anyone would like a keto plan, I’d be happy to share)
I would be interested in looking at a plan, or any other links people might have for starting out.
Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:54 PM   #73
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
I would be interested in looking at a plan, or any other links people might have for starting out.
I used dietdoctor.com when I was doing Keto and really liked it. Recipes were really good and making meal plans and with printable grocery lists was convenient.

Also some good visual aids showing how different fruits/foods/alcohols compare for carb levels.

I don't do keto anymore but did like the site.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 11:02 AM   #74
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I do definitely think there's a solid scientific basis to the satiation aspect of ketosis. Humans have only had access to higher levels of complex carbs since modern farming came into being. Modern farming has only been around for about 10,000 years, with some human populations not using it until modern times. There are no natural sources of complex carbs. All complex carbs come from plants that have become sources, only after centuries of breeding by humans. Plants like potatoes, wheat, and rice are very different in their natural states, and even then humans require a large amount of processing to consume them.

I never go full Keto, but lots of periods of low carb. Once your body gets used to the decreased volume of food, you definitely notice that the protein and fat will keep you satiated and your body responds very poorly to larger calorie sources composed primarily of carbs.

I also think that ketosis is a bit of a gimmick though. However, any diet that gets people to eat consistent protein and low carbs is going to work. So I'm all for people doing it, if it works for them.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:31 AM   #75
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
It is a gimmick, that fact that it has been around for years doesn't negate that.

Ketosis is a metabolic process that happens in everyones body, not a state of being. High levels of ketones put allot of strain on the systems to balance PH, making it likely that in the long run this type of diet is relatively unhealthy for your liver, kidneys and pancreas (although as with any dietary concern its almost impossible to control for or proven, this is just a likely hypothesis based on the mechanisms that are at work).

In general if the dietary advice you are getting is to put strong restrictions on a specific group of foods, you are getting poorly sourced, unfounded advise, that is in fact a gimmick designed to sell books. If you are being advised to eat a diverse diet that is mostly (but not all) vegetables, you might have found someone listening to a reputable nutritionist. The problem with this advice being that it is very vague and unmarketable.
congrats! Literally everything you posted here is incorrect.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 12:38 PM   #76
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I do definitely think there's a solid scientific basis to the satiation aspect of ketosis. Humans have only had access to higher levels of complex carbs since modern farming came into being. Modern farming has only been around for about 10,000 years, with some human populations not using it until modern times. There are no natural sources of complex carbs. All complex carbs come from plants that have become sources, only after centuries of breeding by humans. Plants like potatoes, wheat, and rice are very different in their natural states, and even then humans require a large amount of processing to consume them.

I never go full Keto, but lots of periods of low carb. Once your body gets used to the decreased volume of food, you definitely notice that the protein and fat will keep you satiated and your body responds very poorly to larger calorie sources composed primarily of carbs.

I also think that ketosis is a bit of a gimmick though. However, any diet that gets people to eat consistent protein and low carbs is going to work. So I'm all for people doing it, if it works for them.
Thinking it make sense, is not a scientific basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
congrats! Literally everything you posted here is incorrect.
How so?

Is that Ketosis is a regularly occurring homeostatic process that essential to everyones metabolic process and is happening every day in everybody, diet or not?

Is it that excessive prevalence of BetaHyroxibutylate, and other aminos related to metabolizing fats can acidify the blood, causing strain on the Liver, Kidneys, and Pancreas trying to maintain very tight controls on PH levels, so you don't die. Is that acidic blood is heavily correlated with future instances of heart and lung disease?

Is it that any good nutritionist will tell you that there is no simple all-truism for what makes a good diet, but generally most of us just need to eat an overall lower volume of food, and allot more vegetables?

Is it the the primary focus of whatever one of these diets cycles through ever 3 years, is selling a simple catchy explanation that you can put into a book?

Is it that severally restricting specific groups of food from your diet can cause, selective vitamin deficiencies, that are best treated by eating a broad diverse diet?

Is it that even if there is the tiniest chance, the the supporting studies with weak controls showing a single digit relative benefit are correct, it isn't really worth all the other related risks?

Which of these claims in unture?

It isn't Keto specifically but these diets in general. They bug me, because they are typically a type of psudoscience that smart people are blind to, because of they way they are heaped in personal virtue signalling, and they fade over time typically leaving society and peoples understanding of the facts in a worse place than they were before.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:36 PM   #77
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you are being advised to eat a diverse diet that is mostly (but not all) vegetables, you might have found someone listening to a reputable nutritionist.
Quote:
Is it that any good nutritionist will tell you that there is no simple all-truism for what makes a good diet, but generally most of us just need to eat an overall lower volume of food, and allot more vegetables?
Any good, reputable nutritionist doesn't call themselves a nutritionist; they call themselves a Registered Dietician, which is the legally protected term.

As for everything else you've claimed, sources please.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:49 PM   #78
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Any good, reputable nutritionist doesn't call themselves a nutritionist; they call themselves a Registered Dietician, which is the legally protected term.

As for everything else you've claimed, sources please.
As with most dietary topics, good research is hard to find, basically because you can't depend on accurate reporting for trial subjects. So most of the studies surrounding the impacts of Ketones on health is related to type 1 diabetes.

Basically there is a good body of evidence that high enough ketone levels in your blood is a critically dangerous condition. And a growing body of evidence that long term exposure to high levels generally just wears on your organs that control for this.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5734222/

Quote:
Ketosis is a normal metabolic process. When the body does not have enough glucose for energy, it burns stored fats instead
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...80858.php#diet

These fad diets needing to be based around a simple catch phrase that can sell a book doesn't seem all that provable to me, but it also doesn't seem like an extraordinary claim.

My last claim was that you could not find a well controlled study that would show a substantial enough benefit to offset the risks of a diet like this.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:28 PM   #79
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As with most dietary topics, good research is hard to find, basically because you can't depend on accurate reporting for trial subjects. So most of the studies surrounding the impacts of Ketones on health is related to type 1 diabetes.
Which as we'll soon see is the problem with your claims; you don't appear to understand the difference between nutritional ketosis and ketoacidosis as it pertains to diabetics, and are conflating the two.

Quote:
Basically there is a good body of evidence that high enough ketone levels in your blood is a critically dangerous condition. And a growing body of evidence that long term exposure to high levels generally just wears on your organs that control for this.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5734222/
Alright, lesson one. Repeat after me: ketoacidosis is not ketosis.

Again, talking about ketoacidosis and not ketosis. Also, some of the sources from that article:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18175736
Spoiler!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23801097
Spoiler!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6251269/
Spoiler!

Yeah. Try again.

Quote:
My last claim was that you could not find a well controlled study that would show a substantial enough benefit to offset the risks of a diet like this.
Well, let's go off of one of the sources from your second link, shall we?

The benefits are weight loss, improved outcomes for / prevention of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, PCOS, Alzheimer's, acne, cancer, ALS, and improved HDL levels.

The risks are muscle cramps (supplement with potassium), bad breath (Gum? A mint? A quick gargle with mouth wash?), changes in bowel habits (never trust a keto fart), keto-flu (goes away in two or three weeks, sooner if you've fat adapted before), loss of energy (debatable and depends heavily on the individual).

Let's just go off of the main reason people follow ketogenic diets; they're obese or overweight, and need to lose weight to improve health outcomes. Click here and scroll down to "Complications". You tell me if higher risk of heart disease and strokes, high blood pressure and abnormal cholesterol levels, type 2 diabetes, insulin resistance, cancer of the uterus, cervix, endometrium, ovary, breast, colon, rectum, esophagus, liver, gallbladder, pancreas, kidney and prostate, heartburn, gallbladder disease and liver problems, infertility and irregular periods in women, erectile dysfunction in men, sleep apnea, osteoarthritis, lower quality of life (depression, disability, sexual problems, shame and guilt, social isolation, lower work achievement)... is it worth it yet?

... nah, better not, might get muscle cramps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 10:51 PM   #80
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The benefits are weight loss, improved outcomes for / prevention of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, PCOS, Alzheimer's, acne, cancer, ALS, and improved HDL levels.

The risks are muscle cramps (supplement with potassium), bad breath (Gum? A mint? A quick gargle with mouth wash?), changes in bowel habits (never trust a keto fart), keto-flu (goes away in two or three weeks, sooner if you've fat adapted before), loss of energy (debatable and depends heavily on the individual).

Let's just go off of the main reason people follow ketogenic diets; they're obese or overweight, and need to lose weight to improve health outcomes. Click here and scroll down to "Complications". You tell me if higher risk of heart disease and strokes, high blood pressure and abnormal cholesterol levels, type 2 diabetes, insulin resistance, cancer of the uterus, cervix, endometrium, ovary, breast, colon, rectum, esophagus, liver, gallbladder, pancreas, kidney and prostate, heartburn, gallbladder disease and liver problems, infertility and irregular periods in women, erectile dysfunction in men, sleep apnea, osteoarthritis, lower quality of life (depression, disability, sexual problems, shame and guilt, social isolation, lower work achievement)... is it worth it yet?

... nah, better not, might get muscle cramps.
You know that all of those benefits are the same with a healthy, carb-filled diet, right?

At the end of the day there is no evidence that a ketogenic diet has benefits over regular healthy eating that includes carbohydrates. The one thing it does have is poorer long term compliance. Most people don't have problems losing weight, but 99% of those who lose it will regain it all back.

All that being said, good for everyone in here trying to make themselves healthier.

I just hate fads. And people always talking about keto when I don't ask. Yes I realize I walked into a keto thread.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keto , lose weight , oilers suck , support thread , willpower