Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2018, 09:24 AM   #41
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pad View Post
I didn't like the crowded bars and clubs when I was in my 20s, and I certainly avoid such places these days. Now - a big night out is going out for diner and a drink (one) and be back home at 7:30 pm - Good times
Yeah, Prohibition was a rough time for everyone.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by Locke; 09-30-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2018, 09:34 AM   #42
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Calgary is more of a family-friendly city. We have the largest zoo, museum, municipal ski hill, shopping malls, science centre, theme park, and parks in all of Western Canada.
Does Calgary have as many night clubs, music festivals, or concerts as Vancouver? No, but those things are just a small part of the dynamic of a city.
COP is not larger, than any of Cypress, Grouse nor Mt Seymour. All 3 are better, outside of the pipe.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:00 AM   #43
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've noticed this a bit too... for a city of our size, Calgary's nightlife isn't anything to write home about. Even Edmonton has a much more happening scene.

For a place like 17th Ave, there should be atleast four times as many restaurants / bars, hell - theres not even a decent theatre / live concert venue on that road (like the Commodore in Vancouver or something similar). Also, we need about 3 or 4 17th Avenues downtown... not just one.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:10 PM   #44
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I've noticed this a bit too... for a city of our size, Calgary's nightlife isn't anything to write home about. Even Edmonton has a much more happening scene.

For a place like 17th Ave, there should be atleast four times as many restaurants / bars, hell - theres not even a decent theatre / live concert venue on that road (like the Commodore in Vancouver or something similar). Also, we need about 3 or 4 17th Avenues downtown... not just one.
Calgary has never been known as a city with a great nightlife. Save for the Electric Avenue days, which was the only time there was vibrancy. The city all but eliminated it when they started to not renew business licenses for drinking establishments which were close to others(1st st, electric avenue) and not giving new ones unless the business was a certain distance from another one. In fact they specifically had a policy to ensure only a certain minimal/small amount of drinking establishments were to be in the same area. Notwithstanding wanting to satisfy the Nimbys. You can thank Madeline King for reducing the night life in the beltline and core, as that was one major mandate she had.

The city started to crack down on entertainment districts in the late 90s for the reason of trying to eliminate violence. This was the start of the city becoming lifeless at night. Almost every city has a true entertainment district(Toronto - Richardson, Edmonton - Whyte, Vancouver - Granville St, Wpg - Exchange, Hamilton - Hess village), with some having more than one. Calgary on the other hand has nothing like that. 17th is as close as the city has to one and is nothing like what a true entertainment district should be, in fact it is very lame. As Muta said, there should be so much more there.

The reason why it works in other cities; is because the police are always on the street and literally standing around for prevention of violence. The police have a very strong presence in all these districts in the other cities. Back in the Electric Avenue days and even now, the CPS are reactionary. They only arrived or arrive when things happen. You would rarely see a police presence unless something was happening. Calgary could certainly have an entertainment district, but the conservative mindset at city hall would never allow it. With a proper police presence, there would be no more violence in a club/drinking district than any other city.

Its just the conservative thinking with respect to night life here and I dont see it changing either. I mean Eau Claire had potential for another district, however the same nimbys/residents complained due to the noise(despite the fact they should know better to expect silence and quiet when living in the downtown core).

Combined with the economy and the fact the citys nightlife has never been one to rave about, leads to an even more dead environment than usual.

Last edited by soulchoice; 09-30-2018 at 12:20 PM.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to soulchoice For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #45
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone you used to go out all the time, hit up the clubs and generally involved in the party scene, I can say for sure the city seems to have died down quite a bit. But at the same time, it's more the evolution of what people want to do rather then the city itself becoming dead. Popular nightclubs like Whiskey and Tantra, which used to garner a ton of international DJs and clubbers have been replaced by craft beer markets and pubs. Even The Warehouse which used to be the popular underground after-hours club is more mainstream now that it is National.

I think a lot of the less vibrant night life is a combination of the clubber's crowd that got older and 'retired', combined with the city events planners and promoters moving in another direction that caters less to that dance crowd and more for the ''sit down and talk'' crowd, which makes these craft beer places so popular.

When I was younger, the rave and club scene was a lot more vibrant and active. There were big DJ's playing almost nightly for a while at various venues. Whether you were into the rave scene or not, that scene really made it seem like there were parties to go to every weekend. The city effectively shut those kind of parties down, and I can recall when that happened that it had an immediate impact on what seemed to be a decent party scene in Calgary. It started to die a slow death, which eventually led to what we have now; a pretty overall crappy club scene where most people figure it's not worth going out to because there's ''no where to go'' and everyone gets sent home at 2am.

With Calgary becoming a leader in the craft beer market, those venues were exchanged for more of these up and coming drink venues which promoted a more chill and relax style evening.

I can see why people might think it's a dead city when it comes to going out and finding activities to do. But at the same time, it's much more vibrant in other areas then it used to be. It's just a matter of adjusting your expectations and realizing that the city has evolved into what it is now. Those who still cling to the past and long for the 'glory days' are going to be the ones who see Calgary as a city with nothing to do.

Having said all this, the downturn also certainly had a negative effect when it comes to spending. Combined with me and my friends getting older and just wanting to stay home on a friday night, were not as likely to go out and actually discover these new places. We'll just sit and bitch about how there's nothing to do in this town, when in reality we're just to lazy to go out and discover these new places.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:14 PM   #46
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it’s a demographic thing. The young people who moved here after University got old and aren’t being replaced. I don’t have numbers but I suspect the crash associated with the 2008 financial crises stemmed university grad migration. So the primary Calgary cohort got old and are now catered to with cocktail bars and beer house because we don’t need to get stupid drunk anymore

This combined with Tinder and you don’t need a club scene.

Last edited by GGG; 09-30-2018 at 01:17 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:19 PM   #47
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe nightclub attendance has been on a major decline in all of north America. Millennials simply seem to be finding other things to do. Really I can't blame them as IMO the cost of alcohol is so absurdly expensive that unless you really like to dance there's really no other reason to go to a club seeing you can meet people through dating apps or chill out with friends at home. Even The Den at the University is totally dead and I remember not even being able to get in some nights.

I was actually talking to a guy last week about the late 80's night life in Calgary that was electric. Bars and strip clubs all over the city full of people especially on Thursday, Friday, Saturday nights. In those days it was the only way to get out and meet others and alcohol wasn't nearly as expensive. Just different times.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:39 PM   #48
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

If no Electric Avenue means the city is dead, I'm all for a dead city! I can't imagine the appeal of a night club with 2500 people. If that's what someone is looking for, I can see them being disappointed.

I find no shortage of things to do on the weekends but I prefer other things. During the week, I'm not looking to go out late at night.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:33 PM   #49
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah the clubbing scene in Calgary sucks, but it kind of sucks everywhere in North America now. A friend from Calgary and I went out to the bars here in DC on a Friday and were surprised how dead it was as well. Mind you, this was in the dead of winter, but I do remember back in my 20s in Calgary, winter clubbing used to be awesome.

Montreal on the other hand might be one of the only cities on the continent where it's still fun to go out. It seems as though they have a culture of going out there. In the English speaking parts of this continent, it's usually only single, young people that go out looking to get smashed, pick a fight and/or get laid. In Montreal you'll see all types of people like couples, families (including children), as well as single people going out to just "have a good time".
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:50 PM   #50
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
If no Electric Avenue means the city is dead, I'm all for a dead city! I can't imagine the appeal of a night club with 2500 people. If that's what someone is looking for, I can see them being disappointed.

I find no shortage of things to do on the weekends but I prefer other things. During the week, I'm not looking to go out late at night.
Thanks for that, dad.

Yes, many of us have grown up and stopped going to clubs, but the point of the thread is that the youngins don't seem to be as interested in it as generations past. When I was 18 and beyond, there was Electric Ave, 1st St, a whole bunch of bars all along Mcleod, 17th ave, and we pretty much knew a bar for any night for drink specials.

Not my thing anymore, but it's interesting that the kids aren't really in to it. That was pretty much THE thing to do 20 years ago.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2018, 03:10 PM   #51
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Thanks for that, dad.

Yes, many of us have grown up and stopped going to clubs, but the point of the thread is that the youngins don't seem to be as interested in it as generations past. When I was 18 and beyond, there was Electric Ave, 1st St, a whole bunch of bars all along Mcleod, 17th ave, and we pretty much knew a bar for any night for drink specials.

Not my thing anymore, but it's interesting that the kids aren't really in to it. That was pretty much THE thing to do 20 years ago.
12 years ago as well when I was 18-20. Cowboys, Back Alley, etc... always jammed.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:15 PM   #52
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

The changes in the club scene are perhaps even much more pronounced in Toronto - where the "Entertainment District" in the west end of downtown was full of massive clubs and bars when I was in my undergrad there ~15 years ago, it is now condo-ville with a hooters in the middle still hanging on. I don't think it's been displaced elsewhere, I think it's just shrunken everywhere.

I was out at dinner last night at Ten Foot Henry on 1st street SW - case in point - as far as I can recall it used to be the location of a club I used to go to all the time. It was jam packed and a great vibe on the street.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:22 PM   #53
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Thanks for that, dad.

Well, then maybe it should be "Is the Calgary club scene dead?" Is the city itself considered dead, just because it doesn't have a good club scene?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:28 PM   #54
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

As other's have touched on, Calgary's "problem" is the urban sprawl.
To have real vibrancy, you need neighbourhoods where a lot of people eat, drink & sleep.

I can walk to 3 grocery stores, 8 craft beer distilleries, 15+ coffee shops, around 50 restaurants, and much more less than 15 minutes from my door in Vancouver and I'm not even in downtown.

Now I realize this sounds terrible and way too busy to some people, so not suggesting it's "better", but it is to me.

Making the effort to drive 45 minutes into downtown Calgary to go to a bar or restaurant just isn't worth it when you can go to your local neighbourhood strip mall 5 min away.
Until people start really embracing urban living, Calgary will always be one of these cities, for better or worse.

My suggestion to the OP is move if you can and are looking for that type of city. You're too young to be bored of your city.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2018, 03:36 PM   #55
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
To have real vibrancy, you need neighbourhoods where a lot of people eat, drink & sleep.

I can walk to 3 grocery stores, 8 craft beer distilleries, 15+ coffee shops, around 50 restaurants, and much more less than 15 minutes from my door in Vancouver and I'm not even in downtown.

Now I realize this sounds terrible and way too busy to some people, so not suggesting it's "better", but it is to me.

Making the effort to drive 45 minutes into downtown Calgary to go to a bar or restaurant just isn't worth it when you can go to your local neighbourhood strip mall 5 min away.
Until people start really embracing urban living, Calgary will always be one of these cities, for better or worse.

My suggestion to the OP is move if you can and are looking for that type of city. You're too young to be bored of your city.
Every sprawl community tries to create a city within their community now. The same cookie cutter entertainment/shopping/eating complex is in almost every newer suburb community.

They actively try and advertise to keep you fulfilled within your community. "Yeah, you're far away, but you never have to leave!!".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:38 PM   #56
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

This thread is all over the place.

I don’t think Calgary being “dead” has anything to do with kids these days not going to clubs. Since when did the 18-21 year old segment drive a city’s vibrancy.

Nor do I think urban sprawl plays as big a part as people claim. Not everyone in Vancouver or Montreal or Toronto lives downtown. Plenty of people live out in the suburbs.

It’s also funny to me people keep comparing us to Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto, New York, DC etc. Most of these cities have virtually nothing in common with Calgary. Population, demographic, climate, location etc.

All that being said, there’s plenty to do in Calgary. It’s funny that so much of what people in this thread think is entertainment revolves around the number of pubs and coffee shops within walking distance. Or the number of busy nightclubs. That’s a low bar when it comes to a city’s vibrancy.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2018, 03:47 PM   #57
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post

To be fair, I think neighbourhoods not in downtown also like Beltline/17th, Mission, Inglewood, Kensington, Marda Loop - do provide lots of that type of walkable urbanism. There are lots of good local bars and restaurants in all those areas. Sure, they might not be as numerous as cities twice or three times our size, but they do exist all throughout the inner city. I live in Hillhurst and work in Kensington - pretty much everything I need is there.

Vancouver's sprawl (or Toronto's) is no more interesting than Calgary's sprawl

Last edited by Bunk; 09-30-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bunk For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2018, 10:40 PM   #58
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One thing I've noticed is that there is lots of space available in many children's programs now. 4 or 5 years ago, we had to fight like warriors to call or log in as soon as registration opens to register our kids into programs or you end up on a wait list. We are now able to register our kids in almost any program, anytime. My daughter is in a music class where she is only one of two students. My son is in a gymnastics class with four other kids. It's great they get the extra attention in these classes.

There are still places I wouldn't mind if they were less busy -- eg., the Landmark movie theatre, all the dim sum places up in north Calgary, etc.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2018, 10:58 PM   #59
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
One thing I've noticed is that there is lots of space available in many children's programs now. 4 or 5 years ago, we had to fight like warriors to call or log in as soon as registration opens to register our kids into programs or you end up on a wait list. We are now able to register our kids in almost any program, anytime. My daughter is in a music class where she is only one of two students. My son is in a gymnastics class with four other kids. It's great they get the extra attention in these classes.
I blame the speed limit. Children are afraid to leave their homes for fear of the maniacs driving 50 km/h through their neighbourhoods. Lower the speed limit now and save our extra-curricular activities.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:59 PM   #60
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I tend to think that the "entertainment" measure and the following sentiment that it's not "busy enough" should be based on people at street-level, outside, in dense numbers, whether it's for bars, restaurants or otherwise. A district needs to have something for everyone, and as said earlier, a place like 17th ave would benefit from having event venues, and in a more concentrated elements along 17th. A theatre district would be beneficial; this is one of the reasons why the Fringe works so well, is that it's basically a block away from Whyte Ave's most popular spots. The Varscona Theatre and the surrounding arts venues really help with making Whyte what it is.

Additionally, I think affordable, newer housing would benefit to keep families in the inner-city - and non infills. Would be good to see the housing market regulate and having working-class families able to live in newer detached homes closer to the core, but that isn't likely to happen any time soon.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote