Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-02-2017, 10:01 PM   #1
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2017-18 Toronto Raptors and General NBA Thread

Season being two weeks away and all. Yeah I forget because I'm used to Halloween starts of course, but schedule is moved up this year to reduce back-to-backs. Obviously it's another season of "Will Steph or Durant get hurt?", but other than the Warriors being the biggest favorites I can ever remember the rest of the league (i.e. the West) is very intriguing. Is there someone from San Antonio, Houston, OKC, maybe Minnesota who can present a threat to the Warriors? OKC is probably the most intriguing team, but I'm definitely on the Wolves bandwagon, to me they are the team that can cause real problems because the Warriors cannot matchup with Towns. If Butler blends in well and Wiggins maybe decides to play a little defense, they'll be fun to watch.

As far as the Raps and the JV conference goes, they're probably fighting for the three seed with Washington and maybe Philly. Boston will probably get the number one seed again with the Cavs likely not caring too much about seeding since overall homecourt seems impossible. Raps have another year to see where things are at I guess, maybe hope one of the youngsters takes a big step forward, but unless DeMar has been doing what we all plead with him to do, working on the three, it just seems like the Raps are in a holding pattern, hoping for injuries to open up a slim window. I also think JV gets dealt in season, and Casey is probably retained at the end of the year unless they fall apart.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 10-02-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Senator Clay Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2017, 12:02 PM   #2
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

@wojepsn:
Toronto Raptors guard Norman Powell has agreed to a four-year, $42 million contract extension, league sources told ESPN.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:21 PM   #3
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
@wojepsn:
Toronto Raptors guard Norman Powell has agreed to a four-year, $42 million contract extension, league sources told ESPN.
I am the very definition of a casual basketball fan, but could someone please explain to me how a guy who plays 18 minutes a game on average is worth over $10 million a year?
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey Fan #751 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2017, 06:15 PM   #4
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rumour mill saying Powell was being quietly shopped this offseason because the Raps were afraid he was going to ask for too much. On the surface it appears to be a bit of an overpay, but I'm expecting Powell's role to increase significantly this year so could be a steal of a deal in a couple years. $10 million is basically market rate for a decent rotational player now.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:48 PM   #5
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Raps pre-season game is on one of the TSN channels in 15 minutes for those who may be interested.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:08 PM   #6
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
I am the very definition of a casual basketball fan, but could someone please explain to me how a guy who plays 18 minutes a game on average is worth over $10 million a year?
His role on the team will be greatly expanded this year. They have cutoff every opportunity for dumbo Casey to overplay some useless vet. This year he has NOTHING but young guys for subs. Powell will likely be the go to guy off the bench(sixth man) and play a lot.

So far in preseason they have looked beyond brutal / could be a long year and in fact good for nothing but development of guys like Norm.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:50 PM   #7
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So if that game told me anything, it's that the Raptors won't be changing their game one bit from last year.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:51 AM   #8
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
So if that game told me anything, it's that the Raptors won't be changing their game one bit from last year.
It told me that Bruno is four more years from becoming a half decent player in the D league. That the bench is going to be a weak link this year which is very different from the past.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:03 AM   #9
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Pats View Post
It told me that Bruno is four more years from becoming a half decent player in the D league. That the bench is going to be a weak link this year which is very different from the past.
It's time to cut bait on Bruno. That was a terrible pick, and it's time to admit it and move on.

I don't think the bench wlll be that bad. Wright, Noguera, Powell, Poetl, Siak, and Van Fleet isn't terrible. Not great, but serviceable.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:55 PM   #10
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, shouldn't take long for OG to pass Bruno. I like the bench defensively: there's lots of length and tenacity and some shot-blocking. Offensively I'm worried they might be a little too reliant on Powell, but Wright in the pick-and-roll should be solid too. But they need to play a very different style of offense from the starters to be successful, and that's what worries me.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:19 PM   #11
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Yeah, shouldn't take long for OG to pass Bruno. I like the bench defensively: there's lots of length and tenacity and some shot-blocking. Offensively I'm worried they might be a little too reliant on Powell, but Wright in the pick-and-roll should be solid too. But they need to play a very different style of offense from the starters to be successful, and that's what worries me.
Same #### last night against Portland. Complete perimeter game, little
Ball movement, jacking up low percentage shots.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:11 PM   #12
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well the Sixers gave Embiid 5 years and $148 million. Sounds like it'll be something unheard of.

Quote:
Zach Lowe‏Verified account @ZachLowe_NBA 5h5 hours ago
Embiid's extension has been described to me as "perhaps the most complex" in NBA history. Expect a lot of details to trickle out.
Until we know what it is it'll be hard to judge. Based on what we've seen he's certainly worth it, but obviously the risk factor is extremely high given the injury factor.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:31 PM   #13
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Raptors looked pretty good tonight, with all the usual qualifiers that it's preseason against Detroit. 30 assists on 41 field goals, and Miles with the bench looks really good; that gives them the luxury of starting Powell. Anunoby played significant minutes, so he looks ready to go for the start of the season (maybe with the 905), and JV looks as good as he's ever looked in a preseason, with really solid passing to go with his usual game.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:40 PM   #14
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Embiid's deal seems like a pretty smart deal for the Sixers. The risk level seems quite low when the reward is a potential historic great.

Quote:
Here's how a perfect storm of calamity would have to unfold for Embiid to earn any less than the full $146.5 million: Across each of the final four seasons of the extension, ending with the 2022-23 season, the 76ers could waive Embiid for a financial benefit if he's lost because of a contractually agreed-upon injury that causes him to miss 25 or more regular-season games and if he plays less than 1,650 minutes, league sources said.

Specific injuries are laid out in the contract and include only past problem areas with Embiid's feet and back, sources said. Embiid has to miss 25 or more regular-season games because of injuries in those areas, and play less than 1,650 minutes, for Philadelphia to have the option of releasing him for cost savings.

For example, if Embiid hypothetically suffered a serious knee or wrist injury -- something outside the contractual language surrounding the feet and back -- the 76ers would have no avenue to waive Embiid to reclaim any portion of his salary. And given Embiid's rare talent, there's a belief that he'd have to suffer a career-ending injury to inspire the 76ers to release him.

If Embiid met that narrow criteria and the Sixers decided to waive him after the 2018-19 season, he would receive $84.2 million of his full contract; $98.2 million after the 2019-20 season; $113.3 million after the 2020-21 season; and $129.4 million after the 2021-22 season.

What's more, if Embiid played a minimum of 1,650 regular-season minutes in three consecutive years during the extension, or three out of four including the 2017-18 season, those benchmarks would eliminate the possibility of a reduction in the contract, league sources said.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...trophic-injury
Old 10-13-2017, 04:00 AM   #15
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Embiid is a freak and a generational talent when he's on the court. The deal is good for the Sixers because it's playing time contingent. I have a feeling though that if he's able to stay on the court it'll be a steal.

Philadelphia and Denver are the teams I'm most interested in this year
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:32 AM   #16
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Raps looked decent against the Bulls which is good cause they play them first game of the regular season.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:20 AM   #17
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the preseason disclaimer, Anunoby has looked very impressive so far. Could end up being better and more valuable than either Carroll or Tucker this year. Invoking Kawhi isn't really fair as far as expectations go, but if he can develop his offensive game he could be a Kawhi-lite.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:03 AM   #18
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
With the preseason disclaimer, Anunoby has looked very impressive so far. Could end up being better and more valuable than either Carroll or Tucker this year. Invoking Kawhi isn't really fair as far as expectations go, but if he can develop his offensive game he could be a Kawhi-lite.
Still looks kinda gimpy to me but hey I'm no doctor. Thought the consensus was he wouldn't be recovered till like Christmas? Hope they are being cautious cause there is zero need to rush him.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:05 AM   #19
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think for the first couple months this year you maybe give him the Embiid treatment and limit his minutes, no back to backs etc...But he definitely looks much healthier than I was expecting considering the injury he was coming off.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:24 PM   #20
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Gordon Hayward just suffered a catastrophic leg injury. Was pretty ugly to watch so I'd advise against seeing it.

Tags
fire them all , i'm better than ibaka , kawhi so serious? , lebronto , time to go nuclear