Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2018, 04:28 AM   #521
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Red Notice, by Bill Browder
This is a great book. Tells the story of Bill Browder, who was the founder of Hermitage Capital and the largest foreign investor in Russia following the break up of the Soviet Union and right up through the rise of Putin and into the 2000s. A very insightful book for seeing how corruption operates and how the very rich become so rich in these types of environments. Well worth reading.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 09:00 AM   #522
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

^^^
Next on my reading list.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:20 AM   #523
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rewiring Education: How Technology can Unlock Every Student's Potential, by John Couch, Jason Towne and Steve Wozniak
A bit disappointing. The author is the former head of education for Apple and the book certainly comes across as a case of everything looking like a nail when you're carrying a hammer. The enthusiasm for tech as the solution to education is a little too narrow minded and doesn't seem to show a very good understanding of how educational change processes and implementation actually work.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:48 AM   #524
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Red Notice, by Bill Browder
This is a great book. Tells the story of Bill Browder, who was the founder of Hermitage Capital and the largest foreign investor in Russia following the break up of the Soviet Union and right up through the rise of Putin and into the 2000s. A very insightful book for seeing how corruption operates and how the very rich become so rich in these types of environments. Well worth reading.
I enjoyed that book. In some ways it’s so insane it doesn’t seem real. It’s a really interesting read though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 04:58 PM   #525
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Fourth Industrial Revolution, by Klaus Schwab
High level and big picture. Klaus Schwab is the executive chairman of the World Economic Forum and gives a really valuable big picture vision of the changes of the 4th industrial revolution and societal changes, challenges and opportunities. The appendix has a lot of valuable info.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:01 PM   #526
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I enjoyed that book. In some ways it’s so insane it doesn’t seem real. It’s a really interesting read though.
I found it all too real. Having spent more than a decade in China and seeing how wealth, corruption, power and governance have developed here makes for an interesting contrast while having enough similarities on some points to feel that the pieces fit comfortably into place.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:46 PM   #527
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Yuval Noah Harari's new book "21 Lessons for the 21st Century" is brilliant.

He explains issues facing modern society such as the failures of liberal democracies and rapid technological development and provides talking points and solutions on how humanity can somehow cope. This gave me a greater understanding about why the world seems like such a mess right while also scaring the crap out of me with what the future might hold. My favourite bit of advise was that due to how quickly society is changing for the first time in history children should no longer look to their parents for guidance.

I enjoy Harari's writing style and he is quickly becoming one of my favourite authors. I would even consider him to be the new Jared Diamond.
He really is an amazing writer. He's not afraid to tackle head on what others are afraid to.....humans are becoming less relevant by the day. Major companies driving autonomy are offering a glimpse as to where we're headed in short order (amazon, google etc), there's really no future for people in the future that these companies we cheer on push towards.

He sums it up in such a simple manner. Read Sapiens, mostly through Homo Deus and plan to read 21 century next. It really should be standard reader for everyone.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:01 PM   #528
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
He really is an amazing writer. He's not afraid to tackle head on what others are afraid to.....humans are becoming less relevant by the day. Major companies driving autonomy are offering a glimpse as to where we're headed in short order (amazon, google etc), there's really no future for people in the future that these companies we cheer on push towards.

He sums it up in such a simple manner. Read Sapiens, mostly through Homo Deus and plan to read 21 century next. It really should be standard reader for everyone.
I agree with the take on Sapiens and Homo Deus, but I really felt like in 21 Lessons he was writing a book while a bit full of his own hype. Numerous times he steps beyond his area of knowledge to profess on things that he shouldn't really be professing on. His first two books are outstanding, but I think the success of those and the global recognition he has gained went to his head a bit on 21 Lessons.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:27 PM   #529
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Dune Messiah, by Frank Herbert
Not as good as the first Dune, but it's still cool sci-fi.
The six are one of the modern wonders IMO.

God Emperor of Dune might be my favorite.

Tried Ball Lightning by Cixin Liu but got kind of bored with it.

Just started The Gone World by Tom Sweterlitsch, it's got me hooked big time.

Next will be Autonomous by Annalee Newitz after hearing the author on Sean Carroll's podcast, Mindscape
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 12:37 AM   #530
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
The six are one of the modern wonders IMO.

God Emperor of Dune might be my favorite.

Tried Ball Lightning by Cixin Liu but got kind of bored with it.

Just started The Gone World by Tom Sweterlitsch, it's got me hooked big time.

Next will be Autonomous by Annalee Newitz after hearing the author on Sean Carroll's podcast, Mindscape
I haven't read Ball Lightening, but The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu was worth reading. I lost a bit of momentum on the second book of the trilogy, but the first was some good sci-fi.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:49 AM   #531
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hyperion by Dan Simmons. Really cool sci-fi that plays about a bit as an anthology, slowly revealing each character's motivation for venturing to the planet Hyperion. Envisions a very far future where humans have gone well beyond earth, and sometimes some of the headier world building stuff gets lost on me, but the character stories are excellent and mysterious page turners. I haven't finished it quite yet but am excited to see how it all comes together.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:38 PM   #532
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah Hyperion was a lot better than I thought it'd be.

Three Body Problem I agree the first was good, but I never made it through the second to get to the third.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:11 PM   #533
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Hyperion by Dan Simmons. Really cool sci-fi that plays about a bit as an anthology, slowly revealing each character's motivation for venturing to the planet Hyperion. Envisions a very far future where humans have gone well beyond earth, and sometimes some of the headier world building stuff gets lost on me, but the character stories are excellent and mysterious page turners. I haven't finished it quite yet but am excited to see how it all comes together.
I love Hyperion and the sequels. Highly recommend reading all 4 books in the series. I actually think Hyperion is the weakest of the four books, even though it is really awesome.

I reread them last year for the third or fourth time, and they stand up great even though they're 25+ years old now.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:14 PM   #534
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I'll be getting this:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 03:21 PM   #535
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

^ Written by Mike Myers' brother. He has books about BNL and Todd Rundgren too.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:33 PM   #536
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

going to pick this up from the library today. quite looking forward to it.
Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage - Alfred Lansing

This is a reading of the thrilling account of one of the most astonishing feats of exploration and human courage ever recorded.

In August of 1914, the British ship Endurance set sail for the South Atlantic. In October 1915, still half a continent away from its intended base, the ship was trapped, then crushed in the ice. For five months, Sir Ernest Shackleton and his men, drifting on ice packs, were castaways in one of the most savage regions of the world.

Lansing describes how the men survived a 1,000-mile voyage in an open boat across the stormiest ocean on the globe and an overland trek through forbidding glaciers and mountains. The book recounts a harrowing adventure, but ultimately it is the nobility of these men and their indefatigable will that shines through.

Last edited by GordonBlue; 10-23-2018 at 03:35 PM.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 03:42 PM   #537
Knut

Exp:

Listening to The Singularity Trap by Dennis E Taylor right now . It has been great so far and I cant wait to get back into my car to listen to more.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:41 AM   #538
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Success in Africa: CEO Insights from a Continent on the Rise, by Johnathan Berman
A collection of perspectives and lessons on the African business environment from CEOs of large, successful businesses that have succeeded and grown in Africa.

I'm seriously considering a move to Africa for the next stage of my career and found this to be a very useful book for gaining a perspective on the continent that was both sophisticated and local, rather than just Western stories of Africa's outlook. I would highly recommend this for someone wanting to learn about business in Africa from a bird's eye view.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:47 AM   #539
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

The New Education: How to Revolutionize University to Prepare Students for a World in Flux, by Cathy Davidson
This starts off a little slow with a somewhat long introduction to the historical context of universities in the US, but when it gets going into the examples of possible models to follow in revolutionizing universities the content becomes more stimulating. Definitely a book written for academics at universities, but ultimately a pretty good book for anyone with a high level of interest in the subject.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:10 PM   #540
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
going to pick this up from the library today. quite looking forward to it.
Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage - Alfred Lansing

This is a reading of the thrilling account of one of the most astonishing feats of exploration and human courage ever recorded.

In August of 1914, the British ship Endurance set sail for the South Atlantic. In October 1915, still half a continent away from its intended base, the ship was trapped, then crushed in the ice. For five months, Sir Ernest Shackleton and his men, drifting on ice packs, were castaways in one of the most savage regions of the world.

Lansing describes how the men survived a 1,000-mile voyage in an open boat across the stormiest ocean on the globe and an overland trek through forbidding glaciers and mountains. The book recounts a harrowing adventure, but ultimately it is the nobility of these men and their indefatigable will that shines through.
This is an amazing book. You're in for a treat.