https://twitter.com/user/status/1149061880998064128
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 10:33 PM   #222
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister__big View Post
I’m old enough to remember when people were saying Ferland would command $7M+ AAV on the open market. Life comes at you fast.
That puts you at around 4 years old, minimum.

Strap in, kid, you think life is coming at you fast now. It doesn’t slow down, especially once you hit double digits.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 10:46 PM   #223
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like Ferly's game and wish him the best, except when he plays against YYC.

Ferly's agent got him term and good money. My concern is his health.

Prone to concussions, plays his best when he plays with an edge, so time will tell.
iamca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:19 PM   #224
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Oh, i didn't mean anything in terms of his sobriety but I can see how what i said came across that way.

basing it on burke's public comments about them being unable to 'reach' ferland over the latter half of the season. Frankly, that's a staggering admission from the former president of hockey ops.

Guys who are difficult to motivate are usually like that most/all of their careers. Rene Bourque for example.
Thanks for instantly erasing 5 years of therapy.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:53 PM   #225
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

This sucks
Old 07-11-2019, 12:03 AM   #226
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh, this sucks. I really like Ferland and was kinda hoping he'd come back to the Flames eventually. Worst part of this is that he makes the Canucks better.

Gross.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:03 AM   #227
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca View Post
I love this! great value for his production.

People are saying he's injury "prone"... but he has played 70+ games for the past 5 seasons though...

The Canucks now have a log jam of forwards, I expect a trade or two will happen soon.

Welcome Ferkland!
70...wow high bar. Guy had a couple major injuries last season.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:38 AM   #228
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Or Goldobin. Wouldbt mind either if the price was right.

Virtanen would make some sense as he adds speed and grit, and would be a very good 4th line player at least, with the capability of playing up the line-up.

Goldobin? Where exactly do you see him fitting and who is he replacing? He produced reliably for only a short time when given the opportunity at the start of the season alongside Petterssen and Boeser, but even then he hit a wall and it all dried up. He was then largely ineffective all over the ice, and became a healthy scratch on a fairly weak Canucks squad. As a LHS LW, where in the lineup would he fit in, especially considering he is a disaster along the boards and defensively?

There is no way that Calgary would give him enough of an opportunity - if any - especially with Mangiapane and Dube here, not to mention that Pelletier has a decent chance of getting that 9 game look, and Phillips would probably benefit from a bit of a long look as an injury replacement as it would help his development.

As for Ferland, suddenly the Canucks seem like a much tougher line-up this year. Instead of being like Edmonton and focusing on being the toughest team in the league, the Canucks have become a decently physical squad that matches up well against most other teams, while still being a farily quick team. Ferland really helps with that. That's part of why Ferland is effective - he has great wheels, doesn't take penalties, has a crazy good shot, and is generally good all over the ice. I wish the Flames signed him to that contract, as I do think he will play closer to 82 games a season than 41. Would have preferred 3 years instead of 4, but would have taken him at that cap hit for 4.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:36 AM   #229
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
That puts you at around 4 years old, minimum.

Strap in, kid, you think life is coming at you fast now. It doesn’t slow down, especially once you hit double digits.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 08:42 AM   #230
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Friendly reminder that now all the Hurricanes have left from the trade is Hamilton and the Flames have Hanifin and Lindholm inked to long term deals.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:47 AM   #231
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Friendly reminder that now all the Hurricanes have left from the trade is Hamilton and the Flames have Hanifin and Lindholm inked to long term deals.
Technically, they have Hamilton, a 2nd rounder (Jamieson Rees), and a conditional 3rd rounder in 2020.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:12 AM   #232
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Canucks will be in cap trouble in two years.

Benning making it rain now, but will be in trouble when the Hughes and Pettersson ELCs are up.
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #233
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneufenstein View Post
Canucks will be in cap trouble in two years.

Benning making it rain now, but will be in trouble when the Hughes and Pettersson ELCs are up.
It's really an odd time to blow your wad...they are still a bubble team at best but right up against the cap.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #234
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
It's really an odd time to blow your wad...they are still a bubble team at best but right up against the cap.
I think his job is on the line and if they don't make the playoffs he's toast. The cap issues going forward will be a problem for the next GM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 09:48 AM   #235
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

This just keeps getting better as it would seem Chiarelli is poking his head around those parts. Wouldn't shock me if he's Jim's replacement.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:48 AM   #236
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Lots of talk of the Aqualini's dad being really sick. I guess they want to give it a go for dad before its to late. That is just some of the talk I hear (victoria resident).
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:57 AM   #237
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This is the same failed playbook that Feaster and Weisbrod tried in Calgary.

Sign an albatross defensive contract that isn't worth it the moment it's signed that will hamstring your organization and their ability to re-sign their actual good players when their window should be opening up. Tyler Myers contract looks like it will stink just as much as Wideman's deal sucked the life out of the organization in his final 2 years.

Keep trading out middle round picks and a high value pick here or there for warm bodies.

Move your best trade chips for relative peanuts and watch in 5 years as the roster bottoms out as the organization is too asset poor after not accumulating picks during a time frame when accumulating picks should've been relatively easy.

5th round pick for 26 games of Philip Larsen
2nd and a 4th given up in the deal for gudbranson who is then turned into tanner pearson
4th round pick given up for pouliot
7th round pick given up for luke schenn
7th round pick for mazanec
3rd and 1st for miller

These all stink like Galiardi for a 5th, Corban Knight for a 4th, Comeau for a 5th, Karlsson for a 7th, 2nd round pick for cammalleri, 6th round pick for 1 game of Lane McDermid, Colborne for a 4th etc etc etc.

Right now Regehr +2nd for Butler and Byron looks like the worst deal of the bunch but give it a season to see how bad the canucks are next year and the Miller deal might blow the doors off.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 09:57 AM   #238
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

I think the problem with Ferland's inconsistency is when he's not getting points, he flat out disappears and plays disinterested. As someone pointed out, this is reminiscent of Rene Bourque.

I loved his time with the Flames and we all know what we get out of Ferland but it's time to see what others have to offer so I'm glad he didn't come back.

I do agree though, why oh why did he have to sign with the Canucks.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #239
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ferland would be an excellent pick up for a contending team looking for depth but I don't think he moves the needle all that much for Vancouver. Excellent player when he is on but I don't think that is all too often especially late in a season.

It looks like a lot of teams had similar concerns and were not offering the term he wanted but this is not a terrible contract by any means for the Canucks. Decent move for them and good on Ferland for cashing in.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #240
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you trade away your 1st, you're signalling that you're all in.

I guess they think they are good enough to challenge for a Cup. They figure they need a physical play of Ferland to make a deep run.

Jim is odd.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote