Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2020, 11:53 PM   #21
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Well I suppose you could say most of his smarts were hockey smarts.
I recall how about 15 years ago I was lambasted here by claiming that most hockey players are not very bright and playing professional sport is not a very smart life decision.

That being said, this connection of Datsyuk with the monk appears ti be more of a motivational rather than intellectual nature. And top hockey players need every ounce of motivation they can get.

Last edited by Pointman; 06-17-2020 at 11:57 PM.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 12:31 AM   #22
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, well done. The rare quadruple post.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 12:40 AM   #23
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
I recall how about 15 years ago I was lambasted here by claiming that most hockey players are not very bright and playing professional sport is not a very smart life decision.
You can hire a brain for every chore when you have made $80 million
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:01 AM   #24
Knut

Exp:

Story out of Russia untrue ?? Shocker.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/p...st-in-annexed/
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:40 AM   #25
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post

Sometimes I think there's not much of a difference between Russia and the USA.

Except that Russia doesn't pretend to be some great beacon of freedom.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 09:58 AM   #26
lambeburger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post

It's almost as if RT is Russian state funded propaganda.
lambeburger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lambeburger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 02:29 PM   #27
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Sometimes I think there's not much of a difference between Russia and the USA.

Except that Russia doesn't pretend to be some great beacon of freedom.
So you are saying if you had to live in the USA or Russia it would be a coin flip decision?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:32 PM   #28
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So you are saying if you had to live in the USA or Russia it would be a coin flip decision?
Last I checked...half of Russia isnt rioting and/or on fire or having a veritable crisis against the basic principles of law and order.

Say what you will, but theres something to be said for firm leadership of one form or another.

#devilsadvocate

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:09 AM   #29
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
There are obviously way more Russians that immigrate to the USA than the other way around. My grandmother, aunt and her children live in USA. Both my kids were born in Houston so they could get USA citizenship. Before covid, russian women were flocking to deliver in USA for this very reason. Because of this, I have relatively decent grasp of what USA is and I also never deny that USA is far superior country.

That being said, the difference between USA and Russia is nothing but money. USA is way more rich, and has better climate, and that's it. USA is in no way more "free", "moral" or superior in any ethical way. USA have changing government, but their presidents are a joke. Russia is effectively a monarchy - not dictatorship, as some paint it to be - but Putin at least has a clue on how to run a country.

Moscow is one of the better and most liveable cities in the world. Public health care in Moscow is excellent and free. Public schools are miles ahead of USA. I had to deal with USA administrative units, such as social security centers, to do paperwork for my kids. Moscow administration / government departments work a bit better. Moscow public transit is miles ahead of New York 's. It's safer in Moscow, than it is in Houston.

More importantly though USA appeared to be in no way any more honest, dignified, and free than Russia. It's very much a liar country, for lack if better word. I mean, normal people in USA were nice and friendly, but they are so in Russia and arguably everywhere. But USA as a country is just very rich. It didn't appear to be any better than Russia in other aspects, particularly in moral/ethics /freedom aspects.

Last edited by Pointman; 06-19-2020 at 12:12 AM.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pointman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2020, 06:55 AM   #30
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

^I was born in Moscow but moved to Canada when I was quite young. That said, I was very much exposed to Russian culture growing up, I still have family there and I've visited Russia a couple times as an adult.

I think you're right in certain respects. I can only speak about Moscow and St.Pete since that's my only experience. In that experience I found Russian culture to be more culturally rich, intellectual, educated, historically astute and globally aware. As you mentioned, the education system and healthcare are better (at least in certain respects) in Russia.

However, I've found modern Russian culture to generally be shallow, insecure, petty and with a bit of a 'daddy complex'. Also, even the social safety net is the US seems better than that in Russia. In terms of safety, both nations are dangerous. The violent crime and rate of murder for both nations is very close to one another.

Both nations have a long history of global meddling and human rights atrocities for the betterment of their elite. They are both 'liar countries' as you mentioned. The US has just done it more covertly while trying to paint themselves as white knights publicly. Russia has never dropped atom bombs on civilians.

Freedom of speech, freedom of press, LGBTQ+ rights, institutional racism I would argue are all better in the US. However, apropos of this thread, religious extremism is much more common and accepted in the US.

Honestly, I wouldn't choose to live in either country unless I was filthy rich.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red Slinger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2020, 08:46 AM   #31
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There is some major corruption in the USA. Look up Affluenza kid who's dad literally paid off the justice system to have his son go free after drunk driving causing multiple deaths.

I've lived in the USA and I genuinely loved it, and I love many aspects of American culture. However, I lived in nice areas of SoCal, and I am a white male so it was great for me there. I've traveled the US extensively and there are some seriously depressing and horrible parts to that country.

Coin flip for me personally? No, since you can make way more money working in the USA vs Russia. But I'd say these days both are roughly equal in the corruption scale.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:26 AM   #32
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like we might want to get some Russian LGBT people to weigh in on this debate... You know, if they're actually willing to identify themselves.

If you're gay in the United States, you might have more trouble buying a wedding cake, and you'll face other challenges in certain parts of the country, but you're pretty unlikely to be systematically tortured and murdered.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:46 PM   #33
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There is some major corruption in the USA. Look up Affluenza kid who's dad literally paid off the justice system to have his son go free after drunk driving causing multiple deaths.

I've lived in the USA and I genuinely loved it, and I love many aspects of American culture. However, I lived in nice areas of SoCal, and I am a white male so it was great for me there. I've traveled the US extensively and there are some seriously depressing and horrible parts to that country.

Coin flip for me personally? No, since you can make way more money working in the USA vs Russia. But I'd say these days both are roughly equal in the corruption scale.
I'm sorry, but I'm not buying that. There's no corruption scale that exists where they're in the same stratosphere.

The USA has been hypocritical in human rights in some areas, and systemic racism for black Americans especially is egregious. But Russia is controlled by a dictator that actively funds white supremacy as a tool. He surrounds himself with an oligarchy that is quite literally an arm of a conspiratorial mob. This just isn't something you can say is comparable. Putin himself is likely the richest man on the planet, funded entirely by Russian taxpayers
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:50 PM   #34
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I have to agree with Corsi and Street Pharm here, there is no comparison between the corruption in the USA and that in Russia. The latter is run by a totalitarian dictator who has successfully merged the KGB and the Russian mafia into the perfect fascist state. Putin's power is absolute and guaranteed by the poisoning or disappearance of any credible political opponent. Only oligarchs with ties to Putin have any economic power. Dissidents and gays are murdered or disappear on a regular basis, but the people are not in the streets demonstrating because it could result in their own deaths. Neighbouring states are invaded and annexed for their resources or for access to tidewater. Russian-friendly dictators in other countries, such as Syria, are given military support to commit genocide on large portions of their own populations. Cyberwarfare units do their best to cripple western economies, sow distrust of western democratic institutions, and kill as many citizens of western democracies as possible by widely disseminating disinformation (for example, promoting conspiracy theories about COVID-19 in order to cause distrust of our health authorities, and actively supporting the anti-vax movement).

Frankly, the similarities between today's Russia and early Nazi Germany are downright frightening.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post: