Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 04:33 PM   #2961
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
I don't know where to put this question and didn't want to start a new thread.

Why don't the Flames move Gaudreau to RW?

The best wingers in today's NHL play on their off-wing.

Even Jagr plays his off-wing.
Just a guess but I think Johnny needs all the angle he can get to help him protect the puck. LW side helps him stick along the boards with the puck until he wants to drive or pass. Jagr doesn't care because his game now is to face the boards with his butt out and he can do that on either wing.

But lets say you move Johnny to RW. Do you just move Ferland to LW (That seems kind of a lateral move). Or do you break up 3M to put Tkachuk on the LW beside Monahan? Then who do you put beside Backlund? Jankowski?
Old 10-11-2017, 04:35 PM   #2962
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Why wouldn't they simply waive Streit?
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:36 PM   #2963
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
I don't know where to put this question and didn't want to start a new thread.

Why don't the Flames move Gaudreau to RW?

The best wingers in today's NHL play on their off-wing.

Even Jagr plays his off-wing.
If you are going to move a guy to his off wing on the Flames I would move Tkachuk. I have watched him for years and most of his goals come from the right side.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:22 PM   #2964
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
I don't think they're that far off...if Galchenyuk wasn't so darn useless and they could bury their chances they'd be fine. What they need is a James Neal type player tho.
Here are the players listed as Centres on the Habs' cap friendly page:

Jonathan Drouin
Tomas Plekanec
Alex Galchenyuk
Philip Danault
Torrey Mitchell
Paul Byron
Andrew Shaw

That's the worst centre depth in the entire league. You can't win anything like that, it doesn't matter who your goalie is.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:29 PM   #2965
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dreger on that's hockey mentioned he believes Galchenyuk will be traded. He did say it might not happen until the summer though
Old 10-12-2017, 10:01 AM   #2966
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Pierre McGuire says that one team told him that they have made a substantial offer for Duchene:

https://www.fanragsports.com/mcguire...e-trade-offer/

Quote:
As part of Thursday’s 16-minute conversation, McGuire was asked if he thought it possible that perhaps the waters could calm on the Duchene trade front and if the forward might actually just be staying in Colorado.

“I think that would be tough,” considered McGuire. “I could see where they have some fun short term, but I think long term he’s still going to have to move.

“What’s interesting is I spoke to a management team three days ago, and they definitely want to be a player. I know they’ve already made an offer on Duchene. I just don’t know what the offer is, but they said it was substantial so I believe them. But they’re trying to figure it out because it looks like it would have to involve another team.

“I think there are a lot of moving parts on the Matt Duchene front, but I also think you’re also going to see at some point he will be moved.”

There was another Duchene note shortly after this point, but it first involved McGuire being asked if he thought the Nashville Predators – a team rumored to be in on Duchene at various times – might deal for Kyle Turris from the Ottawa Senators as a fallback plan.

Turris is in the final season of his contract, and although the Senators and his camp appear to be in agreement on salary for an extension, term remains a dividing issue.

“They’re definitely prioritizing getting another center to play right behind Ryan Johansen because of the retirement of Mike Fisher,” said McGuire of the Predators. “So the answer is yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised. Now again, I’m not going to put names out there because I just don’t know. And I haven’t heard Kyle’s name about that, so potentially you’re reading that in a place where I haven’t seen it. But I would just tell you that they definitely are looking for a center ice player just because of the retirement of Mike Fisher. So again, that’ll be an interesting place to watch.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:05 AM   #2967
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Renaud Lavoie @renlavoietva
Waivers: Mark Streit (MTL)
Old 10-12-2017, 10:06 AM   #2968
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ That team should be Montreal
Old 10-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #2969
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol montreal. Maybe they should sign Wideman now too
Old 10-12-2017, 10:15 AM   #2970
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
lol montreal. Maybe they should sign Wideman now too
Where IS Wideman now? (honest question)

He didn't even get a PTO anywhere, did he? Is he just sitting at home? No Europe?
Old 10-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #2971
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
Where IS Wideman now? (honest question)

He didn't even get a PTO anywhere, did he? Is he just sitting at home? No Europe?
His body language last year was suggestive of someone who really lost their passion for the game.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:31 AM   #2972
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
His body language last year was suggestive of someone who really lost their passion for the game.
Yeah, I don't believe he's playing anywhere. I'm a little surprised he hasn't officially retired.

I know the NHL isn't going to the olympics, but can players like Wideman and Iginla play for team Canada even though they haven't officially retired?
Old 10-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #2973
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

I call BS on the there being a substantial offer for Duchene other than spare parts from the offering team.

If Sakic had something that was anywhere in the realm of fair, he'd pull the trigger.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:34 AM   #2974
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryUnderscore View Post
Yeah, I don't believe he's playing anywhere. I'm a little surprised he hasn't officially retired.

I know the NHL isn't going to the olympics, but can players like Wideman and Iginla play for team Canada even though they haven't officially retired?
No NHL contract leaves them free and clear for the Olympics.

Would the Wideman Effect carry over to the international stage? Hmm.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:36 AM   #2975
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Right. Because Mark Streit is the problem. It has nothing to do with playing Jonathan Drouin, who's not a centre, as the #1C. Or that for at least three years, the best natural centre on the team has been Tomas Plekanec. Or that they traded PK frickin Subban for Shea goddamn Weber. Or that Marc ####ing Bergevin is the GM.
And while Drouin is a fine player, I'm skeptical that he deserves to be a top line player, let alone a top line center.

Meanwhile, Mikhail Sergachev has made the Lightning to start the year after a very strong training camp, beating out Slater Koekkoek to date for a regular spot. So far in 3 games, he's even on the plus/minus with 3rd pairing ice time, with one assist to his name....the same amount of points that Drouin has provided the Habs as their top line center.

He's been good enough that some fans are analyzing the decision to keep him up permanently as a 19 year old. If Sergachev doesn't play 40 games this year, the Lightning get a 2nd round pick. I wouldn't rush him, but he looks like he's destined to be a top 4 mainstay for years.

https://www.rawcharge.com/2017/10/10...man-jon-cooper

TL;DR-Yzerman is smart and Bergevin is dumb.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 10:37 AM   #2976
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
I call BS on the there being a substantial offer for Duchene other than spare parts from the offering team.

If Sakic had something that was anywhere in the realm of fair, he'd pull the trigger.
Sakic was a great player, but he's about as good at GMing as he was at snowblower repair, so it's hard to predict what he considers a fair offer or what he'll pull the trigger on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #2977
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post

He probably thinks he can ask for more since Duchene is playing really well right now. Probably got a substantial offer, but now he wants more.

He has already screwed up the Duchene fiasco, at this point you're better off keeping him until the TDL. If the Avs are in a playoff run (which I really doubt), then Duchene stays. If not, then he can get traded to Nashville/Columbus/and team that needs a top 6 C on their team.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:47 AM   #2978
hansmoleman
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think Jankowski is more like Steve Sullivan or a Pat Verbeek, big body that plays the game big and has big hands. Comes up with big plays in big situations.

Good in his own zone but can light the lamp at both ends of the rink.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:49 AM   #2979
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder...(speculation, obviously and maybe it's a Fata...)

Habs-Avs Galchenyuk for Duchene type deal.
Galchenyuk reunited with Yakupov (OHL Sarnia Sting days).

- Given the Weber for Subban deal, GM Bergevin doesn't seem to care about age of players involved...
Old 10-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #2980
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

except Duchene is playing well and has where Galchenyuk doesn't look good at all.