Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the trade after a week of getting your head around it?
Love it, think Lucic is an upgrade 109 16.80%
Like it, clears some cap space even if Lucic is no better 197 30.35%
Indifferent, both teams getting a failed project 187 28.81%
Dislike it, Neal needed another year to bounce back 107 16.49%
Hate it, Neal will be better in Edmonton 49 7.55%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2019, 02:47 PM   #1601
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lucic was centred by RNH a little under 15% of the time. He had Brodziak 23%. And when he got Brodziak he got Kassian or Currie on the opposite wing. Lucic played mostly with terrible players.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:54 PM   #1602
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Getting rid of a disgruntled, useless anchor, and taking on a gruntled anchor that adds the physicality that this oft called "butter soft" team so desperately needs? I'm a-ok with this.

As someone said earlier, I think the biggest pill to swallow is that we all made fun of this contract for so long, now we look like fools. But that's just pride getting in the way of what is a move that makes total sense for both sides.

We just traded our blue (pouty) anchor for a red (firey) anchor. Matches better.
Lucic was a bad player with a bad contract on a bad team the relentless mocking was justified if you ask me.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:59 PM   #1603
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
RNH is the Oilers' third best forward. There is no argument that he is on the same tier as Draisaitl or McDavid, and in fact there's a lot of reason to think he's a product of those two. I'm not convinced RNH is any better than Backlund or Bennett if you wanna talk about guys getting gifted top six minutes on a bad team he's a far better example of inflated stats. None of his underlyings whether it's passing stats or primary points or possession have been anything to write home about.

Neither McLellan nor Hitchcock "play for corsi".

The bar for Lucic is being better than the players he's replacing, yes. Which would be Neal on special teams and Hathaway at ES. And there's no reason not to think the Flames have improved in those areas. Is he overpaid? Yes, but we were never going to magically poof Neal's contract away. Playing with Mangiapane, Ryan, or Bennett there is no reason to think Lucic can't throw up 10-15 goals and ~15 assists from our bottom six. He will be playing with better players and against softer competition.

The fact that we've freed up half a million in cap space shouldn't be overlooked either. We will need all the wiggle room to retain Bennett/Rittich/Tkachuk.
Lucic will not get 15 goals. He will not get 15 assists. He didn’t get that on second line minutes. What makes you think he will with third line minutes?
Old 07-20-2019, 03:01 PM   #1604
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I just got back from vacation and saw the news, I'm not reading through 80+ pages.. does Lucic have to be protected in the expansion draft? Or do I get to continue living?
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:04 PM   #1605
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
So I just got back from vacation and saw the news, I'm not reading through 80+ pages.. does Lucic have to be protected in the expansion draft? Or do I get to continue living?
Sort of, but probably not.

There's no real answer to this yet. He still has his NMC but everyone including Treliving seems to think it won't be an issue

Last edited by btimbit; 07-20-2019 at 03:06 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 03:04 PM   #1606
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Lucic will not get 15 goals. He will not get 15 assists. He didn’t get that on second line minutes. What makes you think he will with third line minutes?

He will be consistentlg playing with better forwards, on lines that are made for the modern NHL, with better defensemen, with softer deployment.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:06 PM   #1607
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Ryan Kesler is the worst contract -- at least Seabrook is still a reasonably useful NHL player. Kesler had 8 points in 60 games last season and is at $6.8M for another three years;

Whoa...aren't we glad that Tre didn't trade Neal for Kesler? At least Lucic was part of the group that prevented the Canucks from soiling the Stanley Cup. Just that alone, I'm forever grateful.
midniteowl is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to midniteowl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #1608
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Franchise crippling. Oh that made me laugh. I’m going to edit the Wiki article for the Flames and add that gem in there for posterity.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 03:08 PM   #1609
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Its not clear yet, but if the NMC is in place still and he doesn't waive it, then yes he would have to be protected, although because its 2 years away its nothing to worry about now.

At least i think thats how it is supposed to be perceived.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:10 PM   #1610
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Flames trade Neal for Lucic (Oilers retain 12.5%) and conditional 2020 3rd

After sleeping on it, I still hate this. Looking at the composition of this team on Capfriendly, it’s just... weird. There’s like a million LWs and basically no one on RW after Lindholm. I have no idea what Treliving is doing, and after Kadri fell through I’m not convinced he does either. It all reeks of desperation in much the same way as those directionless Sutter teams.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:12 PM   #1611
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I don't know about indictment, but this article in the Athletic by Duhatschek suggests Neal never found a fit with the team:

Quote:
If you ever wandered into the Calgary Flames’ dressing room last season, looking for James Neal, you’d find him stashed away in the far corner, the very last locker stall in the room. It’s not exactly where you’d expect to go searching for a player who was originally signed to provide a leadership voice and a winning pedigree to Calgary, based on Neal consecutive Stanley Cup final trips over the past two seasons.

For whatever reason – chemistry, a poor fit with potential first-line mates Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan or simply the inability at the age of 31 to rebound from two long seasons and two short summers – Neal was never a fit in his now one-and-only season with the Flames. He was supposed to be a central piece in the emerging leadership group of the team.

Instead, he was a peripheral figure, literally and figuratively, on a team that won the Western Conference regular-season title, without any meaningful contributions from their expensive free-agent add

https://theathletic.com/1086265/2019...or-james-neal/
Bizarre.

How can this be when his Leadership was touted by those ‘in the know’ on this forum as a reason he was valuable to the team. Some went so far as to suggest his mere presence in the bench was a differentiator and made the team play better.

If I didn’t know better, I’d swear folks made up their own ‘facts’ to back up the conclusion they wanted to arrive at.

Last edited by CanadaMatt; 07-20-2019 at 03:14 PM.
CanadaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:14 PM   #1612
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still don't understand how trading one bad contract for another "reeks of desperation".

Now we have an overpaid underperforming bottom six winger who will actually fill a role when he's not scoring, instead of one who just floats around while bringing nothing to the table ever.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 03:15 PM   #1613
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I'm glad you get to tell us how right you were for the rest of the summer.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:16 PM   #1614
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
After sleeping on it, I still hate this. Looking at the composition of this team on Capfriendly, it’s just... weird. There’s like a million LWs and basically no one on RW after Lindholm. I have no idea what Treliving is doing, and after Kadri fell through I’m not convinced he does either. It all reeks of desperation in much the same way as those directionless Sutter teams.
How can you say this?

Treliving just managed this team to 1st in the Western Conference and our second best regular season in franchise history.

Tree felt he needed to address toughness, and he had a problem on his hands in James Neal's presence. He addressed both and saved 500K. Yeah, I'm not saying I love Lucic's deal, but given the situation - I think it's a good move - especially after looking at Lucic's underlying numbers.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 03:18 PM   #1615
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Slower than Spooner, Rattie and Reider. One who just signed in Switzerland, and two who are without a contract.
I didn't realize if you can skate fast you are guaranteed an NHL spot. I thought their situation was due to not being very good players overall.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redrum For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 03:18 PM   #1616
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:20 PM   #1617
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Tree felt he needed to address toughness,
Thinking back to Calgary vs Colorado I don't see how a guy like Lucic would have made the slightest difference, do you?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:21 PM   #1618
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
I didn't realize if you can skate fast you are guaranteed an NHL spot. I thought their situation was due to not being very good players overall.
Does anyone have the dancing Rico Fata Spiderman gif?
Old 07-20-2019, 03:21 PM   #1619
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Thinking back to Calgary vs Colorado I don't see how a guy like Lucic would have made the slightest difference, do you?
Hard to say, but at least the guy he moved out didn't make the slightest difference either
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:22 PM   #1620
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I still don't understand how trading one bad contract for another "reeks of desperation".

Now we have an overpaid underperforming bottom six winger who will actually fill a role when he's not scoring, instead of one who just floats around while bringing nothing to the table ever.
Don't know about desperation but Lucic has looked done for a while now and probably had the worst contract in the league. To move Neal for him after giving him just one year in the organization seems like a panic move. Not to mention it's not really a ringing endorsement for future ufas.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post: