Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-10-2019, 07:26 PM   #1
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Laundry stacking

So, recently our washing machine decided to die. We had a guy out to look at it and were quoted a very expensive repair, more than the machine is even worth so decided we'd just get a new one. I was out looking today and it seems that, because we have to stack the set in our townhouse, they will only sell them to us in pairs? Seems rather odd -- the dryer still works perfectly fine and it'd be irritating to double our expense here. I want to make sure it's not just sales guys trying to pull one over on me, I don't know much about these appliances. Can anyone with experience confirm that -- I can't just buy a new washer and have it installed and stacked underneath our current dryer, even if it's a different brand/slightly different size?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:32 PM   #2
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thats how they get you - each brand is generally only compatible to stack with its own brand/model line. That said if you go with the same brand as before and just buy the washing machine and stacking kit, you might get away that they stack just fine. Even between generations they'll change the mounting setup which prevents you from doing it. May need to jury-rig something together.

That said, they should sell you one no problem, they just want the additional sale. Just keep in mind if it doesn't stack, you may double up on delivery costs when you go back to buy the dryer.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:38 PM   #3
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a set of mounting holes on the back of the washer and dryer. Each brand has a slightly different configuration for the holes and each sell their own mounting kits.

https://www.amazon.ca/Whirlpool-8572...70556791&psc=1

The above is whirlpool one which the metal piece clips to a ridge on one piece and screws into the other. The rest of the kits are just some foam with adhesive on it do reduce aliding and dampen vibration.

So is what the saws guy is telling you wrong? Sort of. Brands don’t change mounting between every model and every year. I checked on my LG, The washer went 3 years ago and the dryer went this year and this years dryer would still stack with the same kit despite being a newer model. Now if your on the first part of the switch with a 10 year old dryer and a new washer it might on fit.

But even if the part doesnt fit a handy person could fab something up that would join the two units together in a similar manner to the actual kits.

Last edited by GGG; 09-10-2019 at 07:40 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:42 PM   #4
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

How old is your previous washing machine? Perhaps you can search for the same model online?
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:54 PM   #5
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stacking kits are for the same brands for the most part. But brands also have like 10 different types of stacking kits. LG has 5 for full size machines Maytag/Whirlpool has like two or 3. Samsung.....ugh.

Honestly, make sure the washing machine is perfectly level, throw some rubber netting on top of the washer and hope your dryer feet fit nicely on the top of the washer. No need for stacking kits if youre going for a different brand than your perfectly fine dryer.

FYI, im an appliance retailer delivery driver/installer.

Only thing that gets people is symetry in their environment, if thats not going to bug you dont buy a new dryer.plus we installers hate stacking full sizes in closets.

Last edited by dammage79; 09-10-2019 at 07:57 PM.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:25 PM   #6
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I've always wondered... How the hell do you attach the dryer vent when stacking in a narrow closet??
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:47 PM   #7
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I've always wondered... How the hell do you attach the dryer vent when stacking in a narrow closet??
Could be a front venting dryer.
Just vents out into the room (you would keep the closet door open when running)
Mass_nerder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:53 AM   #8
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
So, recently our washing machine decided to die. We had a guy out to look at it and were quoted a very expensive repair, more than the machine is even worth so decided we'd just get a new one. I was out looking today and it seems that, because we have to stack the set in our townhouse, they will only sell them to us in pairs? Seems rather odd -- the dryer still works perfectly fine and it'd be irritating to double our expense here. I want to make sure it's not just sales guys trying to pull one over on me, I don't know much about these appliances. Can anyone with experience confirm that -- I can't just buy a new washer and have it installed and stacked underneath our current dryer, even if it's a different brand/slightly different size?
my washing machine died, bought a new one of same brand and installed it myself, need two to get the dryer up on top but not that difficult.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:29 AM   #9
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I assume the good practice of an over length flexible vent that then gets crushed when you push the dryer back, impacting the drying performance, trapping lint, and risking fire.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:35 AM   #10
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Vent hosing long enough you can attached outside of closet and then slide unit in. Or you can do side venting, theres a cut out on the side and a kit to set it up.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post: