Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2022, 02:14 PM   #2781
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I thought this, too, until I bought my Galaxy Flip 4. That is a giant leap forward. Honestly, if the next iPhone could fold in half and take up 50% of the pocket real estate as the current phone people would be jizzing all over the place.

Even setting it up to take a photo (just fold it 90°, set it on a counter with the camera pointing at the crowd and shoot) is amazing.

I'm no Imagineer, but that is the next big thing IMO. It's just too good and I'm sure when Apple does it their hardware will be beautiful and better than Samsung. Too bad it'll take half a decade or more for them to join the party.
I am also excited for this! I wanted to wait a couple generations for the kinks to be worked out. Half the real estate in my pocket yes please!
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 03:15 PM   #2782
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I thought this, too, until I bought my Galaxy Flip 4. That is a giant leap forward. Honestly, if the next iPhone could fold in half and take up 50% of the pocket real estate as the current phone people would be jizzing all over the place.

Even setting it up to take a photo (just fold it 90°, set it on a counter with the camera pointing at the crowd and shoot) is amazing.

I'm no Imagineer, but that is the next big thing IMO. It's just too good and I'm sure when Apple does it their hardware will be beautiful and better than Samsung. Too bad it'll take half a decade or more for them to join the party.
A more accurate point would be to say that Apple have plateaued. Their product launches now consistently under-deliver. I’ve no desire to spend £1k+ for marginal enhancements I’m not sure are actually enhancements at all.

Also, the Apple Watch - who in their right mind wants to spend the money they’re demanding for such crappy battery life?
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 02:44 PM   #2783
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
A more accurate point would be to say that Apple have plateaued. Their product launches now consistently under-deliver. I’ve no desire to spend £1k+ for marginal enhancements I’m not sure are actually enhancements at all.

Also, the Apple Watch - who in their right mind wants to spend the money they’re demanding for such crappy battery life?
The foldable market is still pretty small because of the price and the crease that’s still visible, although it’s better now than the first gen. There’s no doubt Apple has one in development that will come out when the kinks are worked out.

Apple added satellite calling to the newest phone that is great news for people who use the backcountry and the people who have to find them when they get lost. I don’t think any other phone has that.

Apple has the best features in their smart watches. The battery isn’t great but I ordered an Ultra and I’m excited to try it out. Garmin or Fitbit probably have better fitness focused watches but i need more than that.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 11:36 AM   #2784
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
The foldable market is still pretty small because of the price and the crease that’s still visible, although it’s better now than the first gen. There’s no doubt Apple has one in development that will come out when the kinks are worked out.

Apple added satellite calling to the newest phone that is great news for people who use the backcountry and the people who have to find them when they get lost. I don’t think any other phone has that.

Apple has the best features in their smart watches. The battery isn’t great but I ordered an Ultra and I’m excited to try it out. Garmin or Fitbit probably have better fitness focused watches but i need more than that.
The satellite calling is a cool feature in the event of an emergency. But anyone truly going backcountry for any length of time and bringing an Iphone to use as a satellite phone may be clinically insane given the fragility and battery life of an Iphone vs a satellite phone.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 06:15 PM   #2785
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
The satellite calling is a cool feature in the event of an emergency. But anyone truly going backcountry for any length of time and bringing an Iphone to use as a satellite phone may be clinically insane given the fragility and battery life of an Iphone vs a satellite phone.
Better than nothing. I mean, there's always something extra to be purchased -- a battery pack for said phone, & keeping it off.
I mean most people I've done backcountry with don't have an InReach, but do have the wisdom, their AST, and the tools (transceiver, probe, shovel).. and of course transceiver locating practice.

Conversely, when sledding (snomobiling), we've had at least one of us possess an InReach, as those god damn machines are the most temperamental, and annoying off road vehicle around.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 12:31 PM   #2786
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does anyone have "Apple One" or have Family Sharing for Apple Music? I've been using Apple Music for a few months and finally moved all of our Apple Services to Apple One. However, I can't figure out how to get Apple Music to work in the way I want it to work. Right now, when I log into Apple Music on my phone everything works great. When I log into Apple Music on my wife's phone she logs in fine, sharing seems to be working, but the AppleID that's being used is mine. Is there a way for her to have Apple Music still family shared but allow her to use her own AppleID?
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 01:53 PM   #2787
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Does anyone have "Apple One" or have Family Sharing for Apple Music? I've been using Apple Music for a few months and finally moved all of our Apple Services to Apple One. However, I can't figure out how to get Apple Music to work in the way I want it to work. Right now, when I log into Apple Music on my phone everything works great. When I log into Apple Music on my wife's phone she logs in fine, sharing seems to be working, but the AppleID that's being used is mine. Is there a way for her to have Apple Music still family shared but allow her to use her own AppleID?
Not sure what’s going on. If you have family sharing, you should just have to add their Apple ID to your family (when you go into settings on your phone it should say “Family” under your name and have two photos, yours and hers). Then when you click into family, click her name, click subscriptions, and ensure everything is being shared with her.

When you say “I log into Apple Music on my wife’s phone” do you mean that you log in with your ID, or she logs in? Because you should not be logging in at all. She should be automatically logged in if she’s logged into her Apple ID on her phone.

Everything should be separate. My partner and I share an Apple One account and neither of us uses the other’s Apple ID to log into anything. I’m the one with the Apple One account but they have access to everything through their Apple ID.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 03:32 PM   #2788
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Not sure what’s going on. If you have family sharing, you should just have to add their Apple ID to your family (when you go into settings on your phone it should say “Family” under your name and have two photos, yours and hers). Then when you click into family, click her name, click subscriptions, and ensure everything is being shared with her.

When you say “I log into Apple Music on my wife’s phone” do you mean that you log in with your ID, or she logs in? Because you should not be logging in at all. She should be automatically logged in if she’s logged into her Apple ID on her phone.

Everything should be separate. My partner and I share an Apple One account and neither of us uses the other’s Apple ID to log into anything. I’m the one with the Apple One account but they have access to everything through their Apple ID.
Yeah, so when I touch the "Apple Music" app it shows all of the music I've been listening to. When I touch the person icon in the top right and touch "Account Settings" it says it's being shared through a Family Plan. When I touch "Profile" and try and set a profile up it shows all of my information.

I looked at her phones iCloud settings and everything is set to her AppleID. Even sharing shows that Apple Music and all the other Apple services are being shared through the Family plan. Her iCloud storage is her personal storage. It just seems with Apple Music there isn't any separation between my music account/selections and hers.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 05:13 PM   #2789
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I will have to look when I get home but I do no think my kids or wife see my music. Maybe purchased music but not playlists and such. I definitely do not see theirs.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 05:49 PM   #2790
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

PepsiFree has it bang on. As master account holder or organizer, on your device you add to your family. Also under subscriptions, you can control who has what.

My wife and kids all have their own music, photos, icloud, etc. the iCloud is shared but it’s not as full as you might think.

AppleTV is ok. Games ok. The fitness though…I use it a lot. It’s really good for me. Paired with the Apple Watch really works well. I put an Apple TV box on a tv; I choose the fitness and it then asks which device is working out. You get a list of the devices in the vicinity. Choose the one you want. It syncs the fitness session with your AirPods, the watch, and your rings automatically. It’s pretty slick.

Anyways, this should work for you. Music selection keeps improving.
Old 03-06-2023, 08:37 PM   #2791
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Yeah, so when I touch the "Apple Music" app it shows all of the music I've been listening to. When I touch the person icon in the top right and touch "Account Settings" it says it's being shared through a Family Plan. When I touch "Profile" and try and set a profile up it shows all of my information.

I looked at her phones iCloud settings and everything is set to her AppleID. Even sharing shows that Apple Music and all the other Apple services are being shared through the Family plan. Her iCloud storage is her personal storage. It just seems with Apple Music there isn't any separation between my music account/selections and hers.
Hard to figure out why it’s doing that if she’s logged into her phone with her Apple ID.

I would try any of the following:
- deleting and reinstalling the Apple Music app (ensuring her account is set up as the app store account as well)
- ensuring that when you added your wife’s account to family sharing that you didn’t mistakenly make her a minor
- as a last resort, try removing her from family sharing, checking that everything is under her Apple ID on her phone once she’s been removed, and then re-adding her

It’s super weird that it’s only Apple Music doing it. If none of that works, you might just have to stop into an Apple store next time you’re nearby.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 07:34 PM   #2792
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you turn off the ability for Siri to send texts without unlocking the phone?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:56 AM   #2793
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shocked that there's no conversation over WWDC. So far the updates look pretty alright. Looking forward to the AR headset.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:58 AM   #2794
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Curious if Apple finally solves VR/AR headsets. I have my doubts, but if anyone can do it...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:02 PM   #2795
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I just hope the VR headset isn't overshadowed by multiple timers on the iPad.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:02 PM   #2796
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Curious if Apple finally solves VR/AR headsets. I have my doubts, but if anyone can do it...

No matter what comes up, I don't think this is solving anything. I think it's just the start of something much like the first iPhone did. It's going to be really interesting moving forward. Apple has the crazy marketing behind it so it should be good to kickstart it.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:07 PM   #2797
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

iPhone proved you don't need a physical keyboard. The headset has the same level of challenge/importance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 12:14 PM   #2798
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
iPhone proved you don't need a physical keyboard. The headset has the same level of challenge/importance.
With just as many detractors. I'm a massive VR gaming fan, but I really expected issues like nausea and comfort to be closer to solved by now. Hoping to see them make some gains here.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:21 PM   #2799
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tim Apple has one more thing!
Old 06-05-2023, 12:25 PM   #2800
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nothing exciting at WWDC from Apple in my mind. They make a decent product but they do not live up to the money and hype. I imagine the headset will fall inline with that.

I will look at some of the new MacPro's to replace my aging ones but the software is still a massive issue. Studio's and Mini's are still good bang for buck though. Laptops are dated in my mind and I haven't been a fan of the M based ones so far.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote