Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2023, 11:02 PM   #41
CFO
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Players look like they aren't enjoying. Fire Sutter. Bring up couple more young guys for next year. Get a players coach.
CFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 11:02 PM   #42
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder View Post
You have to wonder who they’d replace him with. Likely someone cheap, unproven. Goodie.
Wouldn't mind promoting the guy who led the Heat to the Final Four last year and has the Wranglers as the only team in the AHL to clinch a playoff spot.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2023, 11:06 PM   #43
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Wouldn't mind promoting the guy who led the Heat to the Final Four last year and has the Wranglers as the only team in the AHL to clinch a playoff spot.
Jared Bednar and Jon Cooper both were unproven at the NHL level but won the Calder Cup before becoming coaches of the Avs and Lightning respectively.

I'd have no issue with Mitch Love being the next head coach of the Calgary Flames, especially if they make noise in the AHL playoffs again this year.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2023, 11:08 PM   #44
Vedder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Seems more likely if they are going to a full rebuild, which seems unlikely at this point even if it’s rational.
Vedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 11:09 PM   #45
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Yeah, I didn't thank that post, so I'm going to go ahead and give myself a pat on the back. I was skeptical then and I'm pretty adamant now that he is not a good coach for the modern game.
Coach of the year last season though
Old 03-10-2023, 11:12 PM   #46
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Call me crazy, but outside of Lucic and Lewis, I think everyone will be back next year, including the coaches.

The organization has had too much change. It's need sometime to let everything marinate.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 11:13 PM   #47
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Jared Bednar and Jon Cooper both were unproven at the NHL level but won the Calder Cup before becoming coaches of the Avs and Lightning respectively.

I'd have no issue with Mitch Love being the next head coach of the Calgary Flames, especially if they make noise in the AHL playoffs again this year.
Hard to argue with the results but I don’t think promoting the Wranglers staff is a solution. That is an average to above average team outside of their league MVP in net. Wolf covers up a lot of problems winning games by himself.
Old 03-10-2023, 11:14 PM   #48
Vedder
First Line Centre

Exp:

One thing I think back to in the bubble season, Sutter stubbornly rode the same lines until they were eliminated from contention. That included Ritchie-Monahan-Gaudreau until they shutdown Monahan. It wasn’t until the end of that year he tried Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk, and I think they had immediate success which obviously carried on to last year.

His lack of tinkering this season to find a better fit for Huberdeau could end up costing them the playoffs.
Vedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vedder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2023, 11:18 PM   #49
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Call me crazy, but outside of Lucic and Lewis, I think everyone will be back next year, including the coaches.

The organization has had too much change. It's need sometime to let everything marinate.
I don't think Murray Edwards would let Tre fire Sutter.
Old 03-10-2023, 11:21 PM   #50
GG51
Draft Pick

Either find a coach suit for the players, or find players the coach wants. Force all the players put their game away and play the system, can’t win games, so should be the coach. The system is kinda slow and heavy but without heavy players except 4th line, most shots are not dangerous due to no speed, so doesn’t matter you have 40 or 50 shots. At this situation maybe just let players play their games, play the young players. If a young player can score at point per game pace, just let him floating on 1st 2nd line, don’t put him on the 4th line where he can do nothing but floating. I mean Dube on the 4th line and Ruzika on bench
GG51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 12:10 AM   #51
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fans shouldn’t be suckered into the idea of playoffs. This team simply won’t just turn on a switch and perform. I’d boo them to kingdom come even in home ice just to get a higher pick in this year’s lottery. As for Sutter, he’s definitely a major part of the underperformance. I know he has his apologists here but this roster on paper shouldn’t be this bad.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 12:27 AM   #52
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fire his ass. Get him out of here.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 12:30 AM   #53
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Fire his ass. Get him out of here.
He was just signed for two more seasons in October, he will be behind the bench for awhile
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 12:34 AM   #54
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryred View Post
He was just signed for two more seasons in October, he will be behind the bench for awhile
Nah. I suspect he quits at the end of the season.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 12:37 AM   #55
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Everything is wrong. Flames should've rebuilt. Should have sold. Players should be way better from hubrdeau to markstrom. Sutters been make #### calls. Not much is right with this team at the moment.

Last edited by traptor; 03-11-2023 at 01:29 AM.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to traptor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2023, 12:38 AM   #56
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
I don’t really get what the point of this post is. It’s almost like over time things change……….. hmmmm…….
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2023, 01:04 AM   #57
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

The coach being the problem is too simple of a solution. We've tried it with Hartley, then Gulutzan, then Peters, Ward, and now Sutter. This team tunes coaches out after 1 full successful season. We do it over and over again.

We're going in circles because as soon as our players get some success they expect next year to be easy. It's a leadership problem. They just don't care enough, or want to be in the playoffs enough to bring it every night. It looks like the effort is there, but then you notice how they don't drive to the net, defend 2 on 1s, or play with the man advantage. We need new leaders, a new core, and a new culture. Replacing the coach is a bandaid solution before a rebuild.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 01:05 AM   #58
just_tim
Draft Pick

I posted this a couple days ago on a different thread. I was a huge Sutter supporter, but the game has passed him by and his demenor and stubbornness are fatal flaws:

The game has changed and Sutter is simply behind. It’s a pure speed game now. Man-D does not work. With the speed and criss-cross side-to-side offensive schemes of today’s best offences, man-D means both defenders and the center are always chasing and missing assignments. It leaves goalies naked. Dryden or Roy would look bad in this scheme. It also means the center has to stay out of the dirty offensive areas so he can get back on D. This leads to a simple offence with shots from the outside. Sutter does not read the game well anymore and he loves his big boys, his 4th line favourites. Virtually no in-game adjustments and a dogmatic stubbornness to remain with the plan that hasn’t worked from game 1. It also means that young talent isn’t rotated and evaluated. Wouldn’t matter how good the Wranglers players are, they’re not getting a good look. A new coach would need to be a talent evaluator, a student of the modern game. Use and improve the players, adjust systems to maximize talent and not simply force square pegs into round holes.
just_tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 01:09 AM   #59
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
The coach being the problem is too simple of a solution. We've tried it with Hartley, then Gulutzan, then Peters, Ward, and now Sutter. This team tunes coaches out after 1 full successful season. We do it over and over again.

We're going in circles because as soon as our players get some success they expect next year to be easy. It's a leadership problem. They just don't care enough, or want to be in the playoffs enough to bring it every night. It looks like the effort is there, but then you notice how they don't drive to the net, defend 2 on 1s, or play with the man advantage. We need new leaders, a new core, and a new culture. Replacing the coach is a bandaid solution before a rebuild.

Have you compared the roster that Hartley and GG had to this roster?

Not what I would consider the same core
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2023, 01:26 AM   #60
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Have you compared the roster that Hartley and GG had to this roster?

Not what I would consider the same core
They both had a healthy Monahan, a Norris caliber Gio, a good #2 D in Brodie, Gully had a stud in Hamilton, add Gaudreau as a top up and coming winger in the league, and Backlund in his prime. The core was certainly different, but there were some good pieces especially under Gulutzan.

The players are different the culture remains
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote