Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2023, 07:03 PM   #41
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
So my daughter was driving home from work on Thursday last week and she was stopped at a red light. Some fataing crackhead draped his upper body on top of her hood/windshield/cowl area of the car and proceeded to just stare at her with a huge creepy smile. She's just 16 and it scared the #### out of her. He was one of those clowns that stands in the middle of intersections begging for change. This was around Anderson/Elbow at like 7:30pm. So a big 'fata you' to all the dopes who give these people money and encourage this behaviour.

Last night I was in South Centre Mall at one of the glasses stores. This lunatic of a drug addict dressed head to toe in a Toronto Blue Jays get-up barges in and accuses me of putting her daughter and mother in a coma just because she is - and I quote - a "crack whore." Hollow cheeks, sores all over her face, rail thin, blathering on about how Calgary is going to get an MLB team. I laughed at her and she came at me like a superfast zombie screaming. Like, wtf.

The girl working in the store looked scared out of her mind. I had the neighbouring store call security and I just had to hang around to make sure this sick fata didn't do anything to the girl; however, I felt pretty helpless. Like, the "crack whore" wouldn't have been a problem for me to handle physically, I wouldn't think, but like I want to get myself into some physical entanglement with her that could potentially cause problems for me.

IDK what the point of this is, but holy #### do we ever have a problem on our hands with these strung out people that I don't see how we're going to fix. It was one thing when they just sort of stuck to the inner city, which worked for me, but now they're spreading into the good end of town and it's very annoying and off-putting.
Welcome to Vancouver, 2 years ago and still going strong today
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:06 PM   #42
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviaant View Post
So the prevailing theory is to snatch, grab and imprison. Isn’t that pretty much what a residential school was? In the modern version we swap the church for the police?

Brilliant ideas morons.
I prefer that we let the crackheads harass people, #### in the streets, and do rampant crime. That's the real genius play.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2023, 07:13 PM   #43
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I prefer that we let the crackheads harass people, #### in the streets, and do rampant crime. That's the real genius play.

Ok then what do you do with the other #######s in society? Ever been to a bar on a Friday or Saturday evening? Plenty of aggressive behaviour in places like those as well.

I think we even have a bonehead things you have done thread. A lot of aggression in that thread too. I don’t assume they are addicts. Why do you?
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:19 PM   #44
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just saw a news story on Global News Vancouver about how teens are now accessing Vancouver's safe supply, which addicts get for free with a prescription from finger print verification vending machines. Teens buy them off the streets to experiment with and addicts sell them to buy from the streets.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:29 PM   #45
Tuco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
So my daughter was driving home from work on Thursday last week and she was stopped at a red light. Some fataing crackhead draped his upper body on top of her hood/windshield/cowl area of the car and proceeded to just stare at her with a huge creepy smile. She's just 16 and it scared the #### out of her. He was one of those clowns that stands in the middle of intersections begging for change. This was around Anderson/Elbow at like 7:30pm. So a big 'fata you' to all the dopes who give these people money and encourage this behaviour.

Last night I was in South Centre Mall at one of the glasses stores. This lunatic of a drug addict dressed head to toe in a Toronto Blue Jays get-up barges in and accuses me of putting her daughter and mother in a coma just because she is - and I quote - a "crack whore." Hollow cheeks, sores all over her face, rail thin, blathering on about how Calgary is going to get an MLB team. I laughed at her and she came at me like a superfast zombie screaming. Like, wtf.

The girl working in the store looked scared out of her mind. I had the neighbouring store call security and I just had to hang around to make sure this sick fata didn't do anything to the girl; however, I felt pretty helpless. Like, the "crack whore" wouldn't have been a problem for me to handle physically, I wouldn't think, but like I want to get myself into some physical entanglement with her that could potentially cause problems for me.

IDK what the point of this is, but holy #### do we ever have a problem on our hands with these strung out people that I don't see how we're going to fix. It was one thing when they just sort of stuck to the inner city, which worked for me, but now they're spreading into the good end of town and it's very annoying and off-putting.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:33 PM   #46
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Ok then what do you do with the other #######s in society? Ever been to a bar on a Friday or Saturday evening? Plenty of aggressive behaviour in places like those as well.

I think we even have a bonehead things you have done thread. A lot of aggression in that thread too. I don’t assume they are addicts. Why do you?
Since we're morons maybe you can enlighten us on what should be done. Let me guess, safe injection sites?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2023, 07:37 PM   #47
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, it's been a problem for a long time, I see it every night. And it's been amusing being on the Calgary reddit page seeing people slowly realize what's happening, and then get upset because how dare it happen where they can see it. The disturbing part to me is most people don't seem to want to fix the problem, they just want it to move back to the alley's and pathways where they don't have to see it, just send in the police to crack skulls and just take them somewhere else.

Biggest problem right now imo is governments can't decide whose problem it is. Feds and provincial governments think that it's up to the Cities, but Cities don't have the resources to do anything other than what you see how. It's a shame to see the issues, but then see the people that could help just ignore it and hope someone else deals with it
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:43 PM   #48
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did Sliver move to Vancouver or is Vancouver moving to Calgary?
Unfortunately my only advice is get used to it & be ready for it to get perpetually worse.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:46 PM   #49
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

I accidentally left the door unlocked to my truck once, and when I got in the next day I noticed a foul smell, and as I looked around I saw some aluminum foil, 2 Crack pipes, and a little tiny drug baggie. Something was spilt down the side door as well. Felt gross driving it for a while. Amazingly they didn't steal some pretty expensive camera gear from the back seat, but my guess is I scared them away when I locked my door remotely before I went to bed the night before.
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:47 PM   #50
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So the prevailing theory is to snatch, grab and imprison. Isn’t that pretty much what a residential school was? In the modern version we swap the church for the police?

Brilliant ideas morons.
The differences are pretty stark, one was an elimination/assimilation of people who had different skin colour, the other is people who've had, but lost, every semblance of humanity and are actively killing themselves and others. Receiving therapy, treatment and teaching life skills is vastly different from mass graves.

Last edited by PaperBagger'14; 01-24-2023 at 08:10 PM.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2023, 07:48 PM   #51
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

You can go one of two directions:

1. Criminalize homelessness out of existence

2. Support homelessness out of existence

We kind of do neither. Personally, I’m obviously on the support-side, which in my mind and in applications where reducing homelessness has been successful, starts with housing. Homeless people need homes. From there, it’s easier to deal with other issues they are dealing with. Knowing you have a space of your own to call home is critical. Safe injection, FREE and accessible mental health care (currently nobody has access to this), etc, all those things help, but ensuring they have a home to build up from matters. We throw random things that work at the wall, but our effort isn’t close to comprehensive enough.

If we were to go the criminal route, then it’s not so much about criminalizing “drugs” as it is criminalizing public drug use for certain drugs (so someone isn’t going to get tagged for having small drugs on them, but could be arrested for using in an alley. Criminalizing panhandling/begging, criminalizing sleeping in the street, tightening enforcement downtown and on transit, etc.

Half measures don’t seem to do anything. But I’d also be fine with a mixed approach, where once services reach a level where they’re accessible to all, you increase the criminal penalties for people who are refusing to take advantage.

Either way, I agree with the idea that we need to do more. I’d prefer if we lead with compassion, but it can’t just be a little bit of compassion and a few half measures.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:55 PM   #52
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

need to expand drug court

https://albertacourts.ca/pc/areas-of...ial-courts/DTC

70% success rate is awesome.
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:11 PM   #53
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

They're still people, dude.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:22 PM   #54
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
They're still people, dude.
No ####. Sorry my reaction when being accused of putting an old lady and a baby into a coma out of the blue when I was just shopping for glasses made me laugh. Jfc
Old 01-24-2023, 08:25 PM   #55
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So nobody was physically harmed, just made uncomfortable from an awkward interaction with someone under the influence? Is this the gist?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:25 PM   #56
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Since we're morons maybe you can enlighten us on what should be done. Let me guess, safe injection sites?

That’s the $1,000,000.00 isn’t it. I can tell you with certainty removing a person from their social supports is not going to be successful though. Any way you do that.

Seriously do you honestly trust a cop enough to have the judgment to administer this kind of justice? I sure as hell don’t and again I’m sure I can find a few threads on cp dedicated to our always outstanding police force.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:29 PM   #57
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Just saw a news story on Global News Vancouver about how teens are now accessing Vancouver's safe supply, which addicts get for free with a prescription from finger print verification vending machines. Teens buy them off the streets to experiment with and addicts sell them to buy from the streets.
Hey...thats pretty resourceful and shows solid entrepreneurship and initiative.

Someone who doesnt do drugs should get in on that. Get free drugs from the Government and then turn around and sell it.

Step 3: Profit!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:29 PM   #58
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You can go one of two directions:

1. Criminalize homelessness out of existence

2. Support homelessness out of existence

We kind of do neither. Personally, I’m obviously on the support-side, which in my mind and in applications where reducing homelessness has been successful, starts with housing. Homeless people need homes. From there, it’s easier to deal with other issues they are dealing with. Knowing you have a space of your own to call home is critical. Safe injection, FREE and accessible mental health care (currently nobody has access to this), etc, all those things help, but ensuring they have a home to build up from matters. We throw random things that work at the wall, but our effort isn’t close to comprehensive enough.

If we were to go the criminal route, then it’s not so much about criminalizing “drugs” as it is criminalizing public drug use for certain drugs (so someone isn’t going to get tagged for having small drugs on them, but could be arrested for using in an alley. Criminalizing panhandling/begging, criminalizing sleeping in the street, tightening enforcement downtown and on transit, etc.

Half measures don’t seem to do anything. But I’d also be fine with a mixed approach, where once services reach a level where they’re accessible to all, you increase the criminal penalties for people who are refusing to take advantage.

Either way, I agree with the idea that we need to do more. I’d prefer if we lead with compassion, but it can’t just be a little bit of compassion and a few half measures.
I don't think criminalizing it helps.

Maybe we need a new classification...or revive an old one. I think we need to institutionalize people who are severely addicted to hard drugs and force our help upon them after giving them an opportunity or three to claw out themselves.

I don't think a home will help. I believe homelessness comes after drug addiction; not before. Helping with housing once they're clean works for me, though.

I'm fine with a tax increase to cover this. Even, say, a 3% sales tax or something to directly pay for it.

Are we as bad as Vancouver or LA? Probably not yet, but my taste of these ####ers over the past week has been enough to want to hit this problem hard and fast and with a greater concern for society at large than for the individual drug users whose interests we seem to be prioritizing (to no avail) over the interests of the rest of us who are operating within the boundaries of normal and trouble-free behaviour.
Old 01-24-2023, 08:32 PM   #59
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
So nobody was physically harmed, just made uncomfortable from an awkward interaction with someone under the influence? Is this the gist?
There's no way the threshold for something being a tangible problem is physical harm versus no physical harm. Hate speech, sexual harassment, noise bylaws, etc. etc.
Old 01-24-2023, 08:41 PM   #60
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That’s the $1,000,000.00 isn’t it. I can tell you with certainty removing a person from their social supports is not going to be successful though. Any way you do that.

Seriously do you honestly trust a cop enough to have the judgment to administer this kind of justice? I sure as hell don’t and again I’m sure I can find a few threads on cp dedicated to our always outstanding police force.
And don't forget, that the cops don't even want to deal with it because they know there's nothing they can do. CPS was on board with 'defund the police' before that was even what it was known as
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post: