Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2023, 03:43 PM   #13921
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That doesn't make a lot of sense as if it was the case why were the Flames holding on to hope that he would return this season?
Were they? Or did they just not need the cap space and thus allowed him to retain his full salary.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 04:00 PM   #13922
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
I see you didn't catch earlier when I said fair enough.

It was def a thinking out loud, responding the other poster. But at end of the day it's none of our business. But it's human nature to fill in the space we don't know, I should be better about fighting that impulse.
You were fine, your comment was totally understandable. I was just adding what I thought, as the parties involved have legal obligations. I am more annoyed at Eric Frances, putting stuff out there like something we would see from the National Enquirer. Saying "I know stuff, ill tell you later," juat brings attention to himself and causes more unnecessary gossip, speculation; Good for him, now why doesn't the guy report it?

Last edited by DazzlinDino; 03-30-2023 at 08:40 PM.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2023, 04:16 PM   #13923
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I think Kylington was on record saying that he really liked Sutter because they see the game the same way.
I remember Sutter saying the same thing early last season when I was wondering if Kylington would get an opportunity to play top 4. He did and earned it he is one of Sutters guys. Flames really missed Oliver this year.
Svartsengi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Svartsengi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2023, 07:56 PM   #13924
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few have talked about Brad moving up to President. To me that makes a lot of sense. He grew up in a business environment, he's familiar with this organization and could probably be effective on the business side of things. Conroy as GM? I would absolutely hope not. I'd want an experienced negotiator and talent evaluator, personally. Treliving for all his faults has been a good drafter. Problem is he's been quick to give away picks for flavours of the month.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2023, 08:04 PM   #13925
CFO
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I don't get the love over Kylington - yes he can skate but has a ton of work to improve on his game. The buy started out hot up till late Nov/Dec and then fell off a cliff.
CFO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CFO For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2023, 08:08 PM   #13926
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve had issues with Sutter all year too - but to suggest he’s responsible for Kylington’s absence is wildly irresponsible and disrespectful to both Sutter, and to Kylington and to whatever he is actually dealing with.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 08:08 PM   #13927
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFO View Post
I don't get the love over Kylington - yes he can skate but has a ton of work to improve on his game. The buy started out hot up till late Nov/Dec and then fell off a cliff.
Really? You couldn't see the talent?
Old 03-30-2023, 08:09 PM   #13928
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He was never the same after that time he went head first into the boards. I was seriously afraid he broke his neck at the time, but he came back really quick. His game was a lot more tentative after that though. If I recall correctly, he had another nasty spill a little later in the season as well. It seemed to really throw him off his game.
Old 03-30-2023, 09:07 PM   #13929
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
He was never the same after that time he went head first into the boards. I was seriously afraid he broke his neck at the time, but he came back really quick. His game was a lot more tentative after that though. If I recall correctly, he had another nasty spill a little later in the season as well. It seemed to really throw him off his game.
Agreed, and if I had any bets to place on why he's stepped away it's likely something related to those. Was easily the Flames 2nd or 3rd most important player through the first couple months of last season. I do hope he comes back at some point.
Old 03-30-2023, 09:11 PM   #13930
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, he basically did fall off a cliff… into the boards, on his neck.
Old 03-30-2023, 09:37 PM   #13931
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Agreed, and if I had any bets to place on why he's stepped away it's likely something related to those. Was easily the Flames 2nd or 3rd most important player through the first couple months of last season. I do hope he comes back at some point.
I wouldn't be surprised either. It was a miracle that he wasn't seriously injured at the time, but I have to wonder if there are lingering effects of some kind.
Old 03-31-2023, 08:31 AM   #13932
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
More bad, really bad.

Ditching Toni Lydman, who was a top four, for a 3rd round pick was abysmal. Trading Andrew Ference and Chuck Kobasew for Brad Stuart and Wayne Primeau was horrendous. Yes we got a 4th round pick and thankfully that turned into TJ Brodie but I think you assess the trade on value and moving Ference, who recently signed a new deal here was completely bone headed.

Getting Anton Stralman from Toronto then flipping him needlessly right before the season was about to start to the blue Jackets was f'n weird
Stretching my memory, but Lydman was effectively a cap dump and the results of a logjam at defense with the flames having replaced him with Hamrlik UFA signing and Dion I think. I wouldn't consider it a bad trade.

Ference was a bad trade. Agreed.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 09:02 AM   #13933
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
I’ve had issues with Sutter all year too - but to suggest he’s responsible for Kylington’s absence is wildly irresponsible and disrespectful to both Sutter, and to Kylington and to whatever he is actually dealing with.
This is kind of my point actually.
All In Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 09:22 AM   #13934
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Stretching my memory, but Lydman was effectively a cap dump and the results of a logjam at defense with the flames having replaced him with Hamrlik UFA signing and Dion I think. I wouldn't consider it a bad trade.

Ference was a bad trade. Agreed.
It was short sighted. If Brad Stuart wanted to be here and resigned, it would have been solid.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2023, 10:00 AM   #13935
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I agree that was scary, but disagree it changed his game. He played with the same reckless abandon after this incident. He had several scary crashes afterwards that season. He would just pop back up.

Hope he is back next year. He was a steal where we drafted him and was playing to his upside potential IMO and on the right trajectory.

This is why Flames need more picks every draft by the way. The are great at finding NHLers.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 12:12 PM   #13936
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

A bit late to the party, but I rate a GM a good GM if he builds a team that makes it to the final. Give me that again, by anyone, and I will call him a good GM.

Was Sutter perfect? Absolutely not. However, that was his first kick at the can, and one would only assume that he would improve with experience, no? I wouldn't love the move, but I wouldn't hate it either. Moot argument anyway as Sutter has stated he hates being a GM.

As for Conroy - yes, he is inexperienced, but at what point is a guy who has been working in management and being groomed to become a GM ready? Also, I would say he is a good talent evaluator - he has found a lot of prospects for the Flames over the years IIRC. Wasn't he the guy responsible for Duehr as his latest find?

This is all irrelevant anyway. Flames are going to go all the way this year, Treliving will be extended since he would officially become a great GM, and we can carry on arguing about other things.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2023, 01:57 PM   #13937
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post

As for Conroy - yes, he is inexperienced, but at what point is a guy who has been working in management and being groomed to become a GM ready? Also, I would say he is a good talent evaluator - he has found a lot of prospects for the Flames over the years IIRC. Wasn't he the guy responsible for Duehr as his latest find?

This is all irrelevant anyway. Flames are going to go all the way this year, Treliving will be extended since he would officially become a great GM, and we can carry on arguing about other things.
Agreed with your statements in general, but I wouldn't call Conroy inexperienced. 1000gp+ as a player, coming up on 10 years as AGM of the Flames. That kind of resume has gotten a fair number of player's into GM roles (Guerin, Drury, Grier, Yzerman, Blake, Verbeek). By all accounts these guys have done a pretty good job so far of turning around their teams.

I have no idea what Conroy's personal philosophy on team management, player development, analytics etc are but those are the things that will get him into a GM role, not his experience at this point IMO.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourbestfriend For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2023, 02:23 PM   #13938
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
A bit late to the party, but I rate a GM a good GM if he builds a team that makes it to the final. Give me that again, by anyone, and I will call him a good GM.
I rate a GM as a guy that is able to build a good organization, meaning NHL, AHL, ECHL, and prospect base. A good GM knows what the likelihood of his team going anywhere is and makes decisions on the outcomes and future. If we don't have the horses, sell and recoup for the future. Don't continue to gamble hoping you catch a series of breaks, build for absolutes and critical mass. Fletcher understood this and did this with the Flames.

Quote:
Was Sutter perfect? Absolutely not. However, that was his first kick at the can, and one would only assume that he would improve with experience, no? I wouldn't love the move, but I wouldn't hate it either. Moot argument anyway as Sutter has stated he hates being a GM.
Sutter was horrible. Gambled futures for immediate gain, putting the team in a position of a forced scorched earth scenario. Flames bring him back and GM, you might as well fold the franchise because there will be nothing left after he burns it to the ground again. Treliving has done as much and we're staring a tough future in the face.

Quote:
Conroy is a PR puppet. Doesn't do anything other than go forth and flap his gums about how everything is awesome and the future is so bright we have to wear shades. I wouldn't let him manage a lemonade stand.

Quote:
What dispensary do you get your weed from? This team is a mess (cap, draft capital, prospects, future, etc.) and it lands at Treliving's footsteps. We're buying into the bull#### of "just get in and hope" fiction. Not a way to run a multi-million dollar enterprise, especially one that is based on cycling quality assets through the system.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 02:37 PM   #13939
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
I rate a GM as a guy that is able to build a good organization, meaning NHL, AHL, ECHL, and prospect base. A good GM knows what the likelihood of his team going anywhere is and makes decisions on the outcomes and future. If we don't have the horses, sell and recoup for the future. Don't continue to gamble hoping you catch a series of breaks, build for absolutes and critical mass. Fletcher understood this and did this with the Flames.

Sutter was horrible. Gambled futures for immediate gain, putting the team in a position of a forced scorched earth scenario. Flames bring him back and GM, you might as well fold the franchise because there will be nothing left after he burns it to the ground again. Treliving has done as much and we're staring a tough future in the face.

Conroy is a PR puppet. Doesn't do anything other than go forth and flap his gums about how everything is awesome and the future is so bright we have to wear shades. I wouldn't let him manage a lemonade stand.

What dispensary do you get your weed from? This team is a mess (cap, draft capital, prospects, future, etc.) and it lands at Treliving's footsteps. We're buying into the bull#### of "just get in and hope" fiction. Not a way to run a multi-million dollar enterprise, especially one that is based on cycling quality assets through the system.
Conflating the on ice product with the state of the business is just lazy.

It’s a profitable and successful business whose value is approaching a billion CAD. Way more than was paid for it. You should stick to your lemonade stands.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2023, 03:23 PM   #13940
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
This team is a mess (cap, draft capital, prospects, future, etc.) and it lands at Treliving's footsteps.
Reasonable chance Treliving had little choice as he does have to follow the direction of the owners.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote