Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2022, 12:33 PM   #41
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
And what exactly do you think an investigation will look like without the victim involved? And how long until her name and the players names leak? What a ####storm that’d be.
Who says the victim and/or other witnesses wouldn't be involved. Leaking names? They kept the Beech name pretty quiet for a long time.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 12:39 PM   #42
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
And what exactly do you think an investigation will look like without the victim involved? And how long until her name and the players names leak? What a ####storm that’d be.
You know what? You are right. Let's let the rapists walk.
Wastedyouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 12:47 PM   #43
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
You know what? You are right. Let's let the rapists walk.
I’m not sure this is remotely fair, especially reading Cecil’s post prior… like come on. How is this helpful?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 12:49 PM   #44
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I guess reading about the case you’re so passionately posting dumb crap about would be too much work, eh?

Quote:
The person bringing the allegations forward chose not to speak with either police or with Hockey Canada’s independent investigator and also chose not to identify the players involved. This was her right, and we fully respect her wishes. We have settled this matter and as part of that settlement, we will not be commenting further.”
The victim doesn’t want to proceed or name names. Case closed. JFC just because you have a desire for vengeance, it doesn’t override the victims thoughts on the matter. Be a little more tone deaf why don’t you?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2022, 12:54 PM   #45
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess reading about the case you’re so passionately posting dumb crap about would be too much work, eh?

The victim doesn’t want to proceed or name names. Case closed. JFC just because you have a desire for vengeance, it doesn’t override the victims thoughts on the matter. Be a little more tone deaf why don’t you?
Excuse me if I don't exactly take HC's word on the victim's mindset when making choices. That, plus prosecutions are not always up to the victims. The Crown can proceed regardless. But also, NHL teams IMO have a right to know what players they drafted did. Maybe they don't care if they're the Hawks or Oilers. The Flames certainly seem to, as do other teams.
Old 06-06-2022, 12:58 PM   #46
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

As is her right. Definitely not arguing that.

But I also am not happy with it just going away because now the lesson here is that if you are really really good at hockey and do terrible off-ice things, the hockey powers will throw money at the victim and make this whole thing disappear. It's disgusting dudebro culture IMO.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 12:59 PM   #47
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Excuse me if I don't exactly take HC's word on the victim's mindset when making choices. That, plus prosecutions are not always up to the victims. The Crown can proceed regardless. But also, NHL teams IMO have a right to know what players they drafted did. Maybe they don't care if they're the Hawks or Oilers. The Flames certainly seem to, as do other teams.
So if the young woman doesn't want her name in the press because she has lived the trauma already, you feel they should proceed anyway and piss on her if she doesn't want a media circus. She has more of a right to closure than the people screaming for the heads of the boys.

And you can be sure the day the first player is named that his agent or attorney will have the girls name in the press. Then I guess everyone can go camp out on her front step and have her relive it. You and others don't get to decide what she wants or needs.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 01:05 PM   #48
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
So if the young woman doesn't want her name in the press because she has lived the trauma already, you feel they should proceed anyway and piss on her if she doesn't want a media circus. She has more of a right to closure than the people screaming for the heads of the boys.

And you can be sure the day the first player is named that his agent or attorney will have the girls name in the press. Then I guess everyone can go camp out on her front step and have her relive it. You and others don't get to decide what she wants or needs.
No one published Beech's name until he decided to come forward. And no one has actually said anything on behalf of this woman.
Old 06-06-2022, 01:26 PM   #49
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
As is her right. Definitely not arguing that.

But I also am not happy with it just going away because now the lesson here is that if you are really really good at hockey and do terrible off-ice things, the hockey powers will throw money at the victim and make this whole thing disappear. It's disgusting dudebro culture IMO.
Yeah I believe we’re all on the same page there. Cecil’s post was that the whole situation is sad.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:16 PM   #50
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
No one published Beech's name until he decided to come forward. And no one has actually said anything on behalf of this woman.
And yet anyone with any passing interest in knowing who the 6'3'' 220'', at-the-time 20 year old, who's name was associated with the the ocean was. Media was practically playing jeopardy by giving out more and more clues while the court documents did everything but actually name him.

Also "no one" was the big media companies, soooo many small random blogs had named him because it brought traffic to their sites, and forums like this one had to decide whether allowing people to name him or not was against their rules.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:03 PM   #51
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimalTates View Post
And yet anyone with any passing interest in knowing who the 6'3'' 220'', at-the-time 20 year old, who's name was associated with the the ocean was. Media was practically playing jeopardy by giving out more and more clues while the court documents did everything but actually name him.

Also "no one" was the big media companies, soooo many small random blogs had named him because it brought traffic to their sites, and forums like this one had to decide whether allowing people to name him or not was against their rules.
No one is concerned about the small blogs and insiders. That much is out there anyway, I bet.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:42 PM   #52
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edit wrong thread
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 10:48 PM   #53
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s tough, I think the main focus here should be on preventing it from happening. When the victim first brought this forward who new what and when. Start purging out anyone who didn’t stop this from occurring.

The systemic rot that allows these incidents to go uninvestigated needs to end.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2022, 01:53 AM   #54
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
No one is concerned about the small blogs and insiders. That much is out there anyway, I bet.
Except perhaps the victim.

She's reported to not want to work with the police, as is her right, and the police and prosecutor therefore have no way to continue with charges and doing so would leak the victim's name to the masses.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OptimalTates For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2022, 11:17 AM   #55
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimalTates View Post
Except perhaps the victim.

She's reported to not want to work with the police, as is her right, and the police and prosecutor therefore have no way to continue with charges and doing so would leak the victim's name to the masses.
I imagine there's plenty of people who know anyway and if someone really wants to learn her name, they will. Hell, Dube probably does because all the players there were part of the investigation (Makar's agent says he cooperated in it).

But also there's only one party who said she's refused to speak to anyone about this and that's the CHL.

I imagine that Ontario prosecutors are now looking at this case - legally, it's not up to her whether there's a criminal investigation.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:23 AM   #56
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I imagine that Ontario prosecutors are now looking at this case - legally, it's not up to her whether there's a criminal investigation.
This is the thing that gets lost sometimes. Because we are so much exposed to American media and their legal system where victims decide whether or not to press charges, people assume that is how it works in Canada. However in Canada, it is up to the investigators to decide if a crime occurred and whether there are sufficient leads to continue investigating and press charges.

There is a really big chance (like probably a 100% chance) that the victim isn't the only one who knows who the guilty people are, and if the other players are cooperating like they say they are, there will be names dropped. And once those people start panicking, more names will follow. Of course, if the victim refuses to testify, that can hurt the case and ability to get a conviction, at which point maybe the police don't press charges.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:39 AM   #57
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I imagine there's plenty of people who know anyway and if someone really wants to learn her name, they will. Hell, Dube probably does because all the players there were part of the investigation (Makar's agent says he cooperated in it).

But also there's only one party who said she's refused to speak to anyone about this and that's the CHL.

It is being investigated by London police.

That said - without the victim cooperating - it won't go anywhere unless there was video or something. Its hard enough to get sexual assault crimes prosecuted even with full cooperation.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:29 PM   #58
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
It is being investigated by London police.

That said - without the victim cooperating - it won't go anywhere unless there was video or something. Its hard enough to get sexual assault crimes prosecuted even with full cooperation.
True. But one of the boys might flip. Especially if they were less involved - just an observer etc.
Old 06-13-2022, 07:26 PM   #59
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1536462310327427077
Old 06-13-2022, 08:32 PM   #60
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Has Dube's representative come out and said he wasn't involved? It's brutal how the code of silence has been.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote