Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-30-2023, 12:19 PM   #1381
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
It would clearly be Hux's mom.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 12:20 PM   #1382
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
It could be thrawn. It could be Hux's dad, They could fold any number of ST concepts into it.

It just feels like they're wedging the First Order story in here.

I expect we're going to see the Mando's that directly walked out on Bo gathering behind Gideon in the end.
Feels pretty natural imo. Maybe it's not the right show to be introducing ST elements, but I think it's woven in with the Mando plot pretty well and hasn't detoured from the show more than feels appropriate.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 12:35 PM   #1383
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Maybe wait to see what part she plays in the future before making definitive judgments on whether she was given too much screen time?

We don't know yet what role she will play for the baddies in the events to come.

Please explain what separated season 1 for you? Western style chapters? World exploring?

Honestly if they were still world exploring each episode and not advancing the overall story/characters people would be complaining for different reasons (like lack of evolution or progression in the show)

I like that they're building towards a face off with Thrawn and the mandalorians uniting again. And planting the seeds for the future films in the background.

The episodes are individually uneven, but I like where the overall show is headed.
She could be the main villain of the rest of the series and that episode would've been too long and boring.

It's kind of been a running theme of this season of taking too long to get to the point of things. Like this last episode, boom Nevarro is under attack, oh no, if only Greef Karga knew someone who was really good at killing bad guys and basically a space-John Wick... no, let's call the New Republic I guess. And then the pilot guy, maybe he'll go renegade and jump into action... no, he's gotta fly to Coruscant and ask for permission. And he gets denied, so now he's gonna go renegade and go save the day. No, he goes and finds the Mandalorian, and has to petition him for help. So Mando jumps into action to go save the day? No, he needs to petition his friends for help too. Now we've had like twenty minutes of the show where people are just yakking away to get to the point we all knew it was gonna get to - Mando has gotta come save the day.

What I liked about season 1 was it was just a cool Star Wars show with an original character and he went around having mostly contained adventures, with the over-arching story of Baby Yoda kind of book-ending things. Ever since they've been more concerned with connecting it with the cartoons, bringing in existing characters, back-dooring in new shows, it's just becoming more and more of a bloated SW-universe thing instead of a cool show about a cool badass Star Wars character. There's been an extraordinary amount of screen time in these seven episodes that do not have The Mandalorian in it at all. There was hardly any in season 1.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 01:09 PM   #1384
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suspect this is the only live action SW show that's pulling in ratings, so it's going to be the one with all the stuff.

I don't mind it at all. It's worlds better than the recent trilogy.

Let's keep in mind that The Simpsons still utterly destroys everything else for viewership on D+.
Old 03-30-2023, 02:05 PM   #1385
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
She could be the main villain of the rest of the series and that episode would've been too long and boring.

It's kind of been a running theme of this season of taking too long to get to the point of things. Like this last episode, boom Nevarro is under attack, oh no, if only Greef Karga knew someone who was really good at killing bad guys and basically a space-John Wick... no, let's call the New Republic I guess. And then the pilot guy, maybe he'll go renegade and jump into action... no, he's gotta fly to Coruscant and ask for permission. And he gets denied, so now he's gonna go renegade and go save the day. No, he goes and finds the Mandalorian, and has to petition him for help. So Mando jumps into action to go save the day? No, he needs to petition his friends for help too. Now we've had like twenty minutes of the show where people are just yakking away to get to the point we all knew it was gonna get to - Mando has gotta come save the day.

What I liked about season 1 was it was just a cool Star Wars show with an original character and he went around having mostly contained adventures, with the over-arching story of Baby Yoda kind of book-ending things. Ever since they've been more concerned with connecting it with the cartoons, bringing in existing characters, back-dooring in new shows, it's just becoming more and more of a bloated SW-universe thing instead of a cool show about a cool badass Star Wars character. There's been an extraordinary amount of screen time in these seven episodes that do not have The Mandalorian in it at all. There was hardly any in season 1.

Makes up for the Book of Boba Fett the last few episode being Mando Season 2.5
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 06:30 PM   #1386
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
When watching Andor, all I could think was they were setting up Mama's Boy and Uptight Female Imperial to be Hux's parents.
Old 03-31-2023, 12:22 AM   #1387
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Like the season at far.

My two complaints:

1. The masks on most of the aliens look really bad. Like they are just guys wearing cheap rubber masks.

2. The pirate king subplot was horrendously bad. Not only is he an awful character, but at no point in the battle did it feel like the good guys might lose. It was totally paint by numbers... Let's destroy an engine... Then another one. He's above you... He's below you. Then the pirate king's dead... Yeah!

I get that the pirate thing was just a plot device to move along the Mandalorian reunification main plot, but they could have done such a better job than what we got.

Anyways, overall I like the direction of the show. The exploration into Mandalorian culture, past, and future is actually pretty entertaining. They really need to stay away from the themed gangs in SW though. Theming gangs after things you find in Earth's history is non sensical. The pirate and the mod scooter gangs have definitely been the worst SW content in this, otherwise pretty solid, run.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 02:10 PM   #1388
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

blankall beat me to it, but yea this week was a little bit too Saturday morning cartoon for me. I don't need to see Mando struggle or fail most of the time but neither his ship nor Bo's was even remotely in trouble at any point, and everyone on the ground is bulletproof. other than "more shooting" the pirates did not have a single ace up their sleeve and so they went down harder than Cobra Commander shaking his fist in retreat as GI Joe shows up.

I really do appreciate practical effects when done well but watching Moss Gideon attempt to intimidate Greef with his mouth flapping like a goddamn sock puppet or Bigmouth Billy Bass made me laugh hard. the cast of Fraggle Rock could have kicked their asses.
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 02:47 PM   #1389
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

They have definitely used better quality effects for aliens in other parts of the series:

This weeks episode was literally just lifeless rubber masks. Reminded me of this:

My guess is they overspent on animating the Pirate Kings seaweed beard and ran out of budget for everyone else.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 06:23 PM   #1390
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

They need to kill off Din Djarin and replace him with that machine gun guy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 06:35 PM   #1391
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got caught up. Man this show has lost its charm. It’s written for morons. Why do they constantly have dialogue explaining every little detail? I’m watching the show, I can see that for myself.

I’ll ride out this season but man, I think it’s time for Disney to put Star Wars on hold for a while.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2023, 07:10 PM   #1392
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Geez…tough crowd in here. I’m enjoying it. Sure some of its cheesy, but this is Star Wars after all, we should be used to that.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2023, 01:17 AM   #1393
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

The "explain everything that can be observed" brings the delivery style of the show a little closer to book of boba fett than the earlier days of the show, but there isn't really a drastic change. This show was never super intelligent or implicit in its ways like andor. It's always been spoonfed, without much if any complexity. it was just a smaller story before and has since expanded. Some won't appreciate how it's balancing all the moving parts and it hasn't been perfect, but the show is more than entertaining enough for something that was never in TV show awards territory. Still earns its cult following by delivering fun every week

I appreciate the contrast between this and a show like Andor. They are tonally different but each provides a different kind of entertainment and intrigue that has its place

Also some soon forget that star wars was always cheese and suspension of belief at its core
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2023, 04:23 PM   #1394
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

NSFW!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 04-05-2023, 04:57 PM   #1395
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
NSFW!

Spoiler!
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 05:33 PM   #1396
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Solid, solid episode.

Old 04-05-2023, 09:21 PM   #1397
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was pretty good and not as lost as the Coruscant episode, though Bo Katan seems like "The Mandalorian" this season more than Dinn.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 09:28 PM   #1398
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

A really fun light episode with a lot of great guest spots.

Its following the Star Wars formula that we saw in Bad Batch. A light optimistic episode before the last two where they ripped our hearts out, and left the hero's in darkness.

Soooooo . . . . . . . who's eating a laser bolt?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 09:32 PM   #1399
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Just got caught up. Man this show has lost its charm. It’s written for morons. Why do they constantly have dialogue explaining every little detail? I’m watching the show, I can see that for myself.

I’ll ride out this season but man, I think it’s time for Disney to put Star Wars on hold for a while.
In terms of movies, it seems like Star Wars has already been on, and will continue to be on, a major hold.

The shows are all they have. They do seem a bit rushed and exhausted.

There's a new game coming out, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, and what from I've heard it's pretty good.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 08:49 AM   #1400
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Great episode. Loved the cameos. All the throw back to the prequels to was great. Haven't seen or heard a battle droid in a while.

Seems like the Mandalorian people are getting pretty stacked.