Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2023, 10:17 AM   #1721
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
It would take a lot to convince me otherwise that the seeds of Tkachuk's departure were planted at his bridge deal, and his mind was all but made up in the days following the Muzzin incident.
I can’t imagine a more pathetic reason.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2023, 10:25 AM   #1722
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It would take a lot to convince me otherwise that the seeds of Tkachuk's departure were planted at his bridge deal, and his mind was all but made up in the days following the Muzzin incident.
I think the failure to come to a long term deal at the time planted the seeds for sure. The team didn't show faith in him and then gave him the temptation of becoming a UfA at age 25. I think after that bridge deal was made, everything would have had to have gone perfect for him to sign a long term deal after that point. It was reported by insiders that Tkachuk wanted to be named captain, which isn't something that a player asks for if they are already 100% planning to leave. I just don't think Tkachuk felt respected and once Johnny left, that was the final straw. I actually don't blame him. He was our franchise player, but management wouldn't treat him that way, so he went somewhere where they would.
Old 03-31-2023, 10:27 AM   #1723
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It would take a lot to convince me otherwise that if Tkachuk played in the NCAA he would have taken the Fox option.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:33 AM   #1724
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Tkachuk asked for a trade after losing to the Flames biggest rivals in the playoffs. That is down right disrespect.
Is that your biggest issue with him, that he left after losing to the Oilers?

It was disrespectful to whom?

I doubt many here would have treated him any differently if the Flames beat the Oilers and lost to the Avs. It's hilarious to think a player disrespected anything for leaving a team after a playoff loss.

Heck, on CP you guys crapped on him over the years as much as supported him, So I don't see how any of you can feel he's disrespected anything.

He just did what was best for him over the team and fans of the team. It's the way sports is now, for the most part. You have to put yourself first and not trust the owners and management will. You sure as heck can't live your life for the fans.

If I was a fan, yeah I'd be irked with the guy for leaving the team that drafted and help develop him as a player. But really, If I were an American, I wouldn't want to to play for some backwater fishbowl in freezing Canada, when I have options.

Last edited by GordonBlue; 03-31-2023 at 10:35 AM.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:41 AM   #1725
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

dino7c seeing new posts in this thread after Tkachuk has a good game:

OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2023, 10:43 AM   #1726
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post

I doubt many here would have treated him any differently if the Flames beat the Oilers and lost to the Avs. It's hilarious to think a player disrespected anything for leaving a team after a playoff loss.

Heck, on CP you guys crapped on him over the years as much as supported him, So I don't see how any of you can feel he's disrespected anything.

He just did what was best for him over the team and fans of the team. It's the way sports is now, for the most part. You have to put yourself first and not trust the owners and management will. You sure as heck can't live your life for the fans.

If I was a fan, yeah I'd be irked with the guy for leaving the team that drafted and help develop him as a player. But really, If I were an American, I wouldn't want to to play for some backwater fishbowl in freezing Canada, when I have options.
You’re probably trying to wedge too much logic and empathy into what is ultimately a very standard and very harmless aspect of sports fandom: rooting against other teams and players.

I don’t know why you’d have trouble understanding it. It’s just fun.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2023, 10:52 AM   #1727
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post

I cheer for the Flames, and the players who represent the Flames. Call me old Fashioned, but #### any player or team that does not play, or want to play for the Flames. A double #### you to any player who doesn't hate the Oilers.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2023, 11:45 AM   #1728
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just wait for GordonBlue to react when Drai and McDavid walk
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 11:55 AM   #1729
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
No idea if this team would be cap compliant, but hey, I thought I would look at a revised roster with this in mind. For argument's sake, I treated Lindholm and Hanifin for Hamilton and Ferland straight up, but perhaps a 2nd or 3rd round pick thrown in.

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk (best line in hockey)
Dube-Monahan(healthy)-Toffoli
Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman
Lewis-Ruzicka-Duehr

Fox-Weegar
Hanifin-Andersson
Tanev-Zadorov

Markstrom
Vladar

That could easily be a cup winning team. JFC.
Weegar would have to go I think due to him coming from the Tkachuk trade, but fit Bennett, Giordano, and Brodie in there and it would still be a pretty great team, and fun to cheer for.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 12:08 PM   #1730
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Weegar would have to go I think due to him coming from the Tkachuk trade, but fit Bennett, Giordano, and Brodie in there and it would still be a pretty great team, and fun to cheer for.
right, right...stupid me.

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk
Dube-Monahan-Toffoli
Bennett -Lewis-Duehr

Fox-Brodie
Hanifin-Andersson
Tanev-Giordano
Zadorov

Markstrom/Vladar

Last edited by Cali Panthers Fan; 03-31-2023 at 12:11 PM.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2023, 12:13 PM   #1731
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's always hard to look at hypotheticals.

Would Tkachuk have signed a long term deal at the time he signed his bridge deal? None of us know for sure.

Did the flames even entertain this? They didn't have the cap room, and there wasn't much smoke around them clearing cap space in the offseason. So my gut feeling is they preferred the lower cap hit of a bridge deal.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 12:20 PM   #1732
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
It's always hard to look at hypotheticals.

Would Tkachuk have signed a long term deal at the time he signed his bridge deal? None of us know for sure.

Did the flames even entertain this? They didn't have the cap room, and there wasn't much smoke around them clearing cap space in the offseason. So my gut feeling is they preferred the lower cap hit of a bridge deal.
Yes, it was a bit of a perfect storm IMO. Flames didn't have the funds to offer an 8 year deal, not at what he wanted. And he was less than willing to bargain because he didn't really want to be here. I think the Flames were willing to pay his price last year, but he wanted to go south. So even if they sigtned him long term he'd have been a guy angling for a trade or maybe not fully invested in the team.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 12:39 PM   #1733
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Just wait for GordonBlue to react when Drai and McDavid walk
meh. I was a teen when Gretzky left, so my illusions about players and hockey were dashed years ago. I think the last player I was sad by his leaving was Ryan Smyth when he first left the team. never hated they guy, though. I always hope guys I cheered for do well.

I've now bailed on caring about the team. I was more of a casual fan for a few years but the final straw was the Kane signing.
Be nice if they win something, but whatever.

I find it hard to get invested in a bunch of millionaires playing a game when I have worries about bills and food costs.

I'll still defend Edmonton as a city as I grew up here and it's home, but I don't care to worry about the Oilers.
I still cheer against Calgary sports teams. I don't think that needs to change, though.

Last edited by GordonBlue; 03-31-2023 at 12:51 PM.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2023, 01:07 PM   #1734
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was wrong a couple years back about him.

Chucky is elite and should have been the captain of the Flames right now.

As he gets older and matures I think he gets even better.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 01:48 PM   #1735
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Lot of people including me thought Tkachuk potential is limited because he can’t skate

Well, he is proving other than skating, he is indeed a generational player…

Best Flames pick in the last 30 yrs
I always thought that aspect of his game was overstated. I mean, his skating is by no means a strength and if we’re being honest, he did have a pretty ugly stride. But I don’t remember his skating ever preventing him from getting him to where he needed to get to. I also think Chuck did a great job of compensating; even if he wasn’t a great skater, he was still relatively agile, and very difficult to push off the puck, so at the very least, he could dictate and control the pace of play to what suited him.

That was the beauty of the Gaudreau-Tkachuk combo, they were completely different players, but they both thought the game at the same elite level and it was really difficult for the opposition to find a shutdown line that could stop them because they could score in every fashion. They didn’t need to always score the fancy type of goals because they were equally adept at scoring on the rush as they were at dumping and chasing.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2023, 02:08 PM   #1736
NegativeSpace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
No idea if this team would be cap compliant, but hey, I thought I would look at a revised roster with this in mind. For argument's sake, I treated Lindholm and Hanifin for Hamilton and Ferland straight up, but perhaps a 2nd or 3rd round pick thrown in.

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk (best line in hockey)
Dube-Monahan(healthy)-Toffoli
Lewis-Ruzicka-Duehr

Fox-Weegar
Hanifin-Andersson
Tanev-Zadorov

Markstrom
Vladar

That could easily be a cup winning team. JFC.

If they still have Tkachuk, how do they have Weegar?
NegativeSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 02:14 PM   #1737
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Something definitely happened after this incident that completely derailed his love for this franchise. I remember him being really excited to be drafted by the Flames and then following his terrific 18-19 season, It felt like the perfect timing to ink him to a max term deal.

But obviously the Flames were pretty capped out at that point in time especially with management’s idiotic decision to buy out Troy Brouwer and sign James Neal. Talk about a double whammy there on the team’s salary cap.

He had a strong shortened season in 19-20 where lead the team in scoring and had probably the best playoff performance up to date. So there were no troubles yet up to that point, but then came that 2021 season where everything went off the rails.

Whatever did happen after that Muzzin incident I think changed everything. Tkachuk’s always been a pretty sensitive player, he cares about his perception and his legacy. He seems to care a lot about what the fans think and being a captain and etc.

I don’t know if that had to do with his age or what have you, but it seems like he lost some trust in his teammates based on what was said in that meeting because shortly after that 2021 season, we heard Tkachuk’s name in the rumor mills, that Instagram incident and if I remember correctly, Treliving and Sutter had to physically meet up with Tkachuk in the offseason to smooth things over. Hopefully one day we’ll find out exactly what went down.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 02:52 PM   #1738
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think it was the Muzzin incident, but the bridge deal pointed towards him wanting out as fast as possible.

If I was a star or superstar in the NHL, the last place I would want to play is Western Canada. I might consider Vancouver.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 03:12 PM   #1739
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I think the failure to come to a long term deal at the time planted the seeds for sure. The team didn't show faith in him and then gave him the temptation of becoming a UfA at age 25. I think after that bridge deal was made, everything would have had to have gone perfect for him to sign a long term deal after that point. It was reported by insiders that Tkachuk wanted to be named captain, which isn't something that a player asks for if they are already 100% planning to leave. I just don't think Tkachuk felt respected and once Johnny left, that was the final straw. I actually don't blame him. He was our franchise player, but management wouldn't treat him that way, so he went somewhere where they would.

He seemed well cemented as a Flame at one point, I think that all changed after the incident, and no Johnny probably confirmed his feeling to move on. Seeing how he is playing now makes me wonder if the Flames are pumping the brakes too much on our top player. The idea that we don't have the right talent for Huberdeau doesn't seem right. Florida called Tkachuk a generational player and gave him the reins to prove it. Even if Tkachuk is not a generational player it is the belief in the player that gets him to raise his game. Sutter made comments about Huberdeaus passing skill, but never really gave him the reins. My guess is Sutter wanted a defense first player, in a system It doesn't play to Huberdeau's strengths. For a player who's an exceptional passer Huberdeau must be feeling a bit confused about his role.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 03:17 PM   #1740
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
right, right...stupid me.

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk
Dube-Monahan-Toffoli
Bennett -Lewis-Duehr

Fox-Brodie
Hanifin-Andersson
Tanev-Giordano
Zadorov

Markstrom/Vladar
Guessing tough to fit that lineup under the cap.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gaudreau , gudbranson , legend of sam bennett , monahan , tkachuk