Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-21-2023, 08:45 AM   #4261
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ you would have to tunnel under deerfoot which would be expensive - i would think

That’s why it would be nice if the pathway continued along that side of Deerfoot between Standens and the Na###o Metals up to 11th St through all the trees.

Not many places to get over or under Deerfoot and the river.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 05:50 PM   #4262
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ yeah, the only crossings would be southland or Ogden
Old 03-21-2023, 10:09 PM   #4263
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lots of large puddles turning into lakes between Center Street bridge and Edworthy on the north side. Gonna get worse before it gets better. Will be a morning adventure to stay upright wondering if you’ll break through or get kicked over, and in the late aft if that’s water on top of ice and just how deep is it… and should one blast through at top speed or slow to an almost non-splashing speed?
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 06:36 AM   #4264
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The forecast looks pretty useless, too. Warm enough for more melting, then freezing, maybe more snow...It's time for a full melt!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2023, 06:59 AM   #4265
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

the charge life of the battery in my edge 520 has really taken a noticeable drop in the past little while as a two hour ride takes it from 100% to about 20%.

After looking around at the options, I found a renewed 1030 on amazon for ~$300 that i ordered

I was thinking about replacing the battery on my 520; however, the last garmin i tried to do that on i would up wrecking - so I thought I'd just replace it.

Also was able to get in touch with the organizer of the ride the range to see if there was any possibility of being able to switch from the short course to the long one as the guy I was supposed to ride with entered the long one.
Old 03-22-2023, 10:28 AM   #4266
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
the charge life of the battery in my edge 520 has really taken a noticeable drop in the past little while as a two hour ride takes it from 100% to about 20%.

After looking around at the options, I found a renewed 1030 on amazon for ~$300 that i ordered

I was thinking about replacing the battery on my 520; however, the last garmin i tried to do that on i would up wrecking - so I thought I'd just replace it.

Also was able to get in touch with the organizer of the ride the range to see if there was any possibility of being able to switch from the short course to the long one as the guy I was supposed to ride with entered the long one.
Garth is pretty good about it and with enough notice it's just about insurance and getting you the right number plate, numbers are capped on the overall # not each race length, I don't think you'll have an issue. (also refer to my signature)
Old 03-22-2023, 07:36 PM   #4267
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ lol icantwhisper. garth moved me to the long race.

i was expecting him to also send a link to the jack reacher scene where the takes on the gang of five and warns them before he lays the beat down "you asked for this"

today i finally received my colored jrc jockey wheels from the netherlands ordered via bikeinn. although it cost my wife $15 to get the package from the mailperson

i also realized that the new garmin i ordered i used our shared credit card to pay for it versus my own bank card. I am awaiting the inevitable questions complete with eye roll
Old 03-23-2023, 09:12 PM   #4268
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Had my 520 replaced by Garmin in 2021 after same issue as you. They would not offer any upgrade option at the time.

I’m gonna have to look for a similar 1030 deal… I miss many of the functions that the 520 does not have that the 8x0 and 10x0 have.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 12:12 PM   #4269
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Has anybody attempted the canal pathway yet from Ogden to 52nd street? Going over Barlow and 52nd it looks to be "mostly" clear- but I am also looking at wide open south facing parts of the pathway.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 12:41 PM   #4270
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Has anybody attempted the canal pathway yet from Ogden to 52nd street? Going over Barlow and 52nd it looks to be "mostly" clear- but I am also looking at wide open south facing parts of the pathway.
Two people have ridden it on strava this year, last was middle of Feb, you should risk it and let us know how it goes.

https://www.strava.com/segments/4352390
Old 03-29-2023, 02:30 PM   #4271
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

It's usually 95% great but there's one section by the railroad tracks in Ogden (where you go under the tracks) that takes forever to melt. I've bailed there.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 02:49 PM   #4272
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Maybe I'll ride from Glenmore to 52nd today on way home for recon, need to relieve the boredom of the same route everyday anyways
Old 03-29-2023, 06:29 PM   #4273
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Gave it a go, first 2 km from Ogden you have 6-12 inches of pavement to ride on, rest is a foot of snow. Good till 52nd after that, 52nd to heatherglen is 85% pavement, 15% you’re going to have a bad time
Old 03-29-2023, 06:59 PM   #4274
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

I appreciate you testing it out for me! If you are saying there was at least a 6” wide path to ride on- that should work. Especially given another 2 afternoons of melting.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:26 PM   #4275
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There are a couple puddles that if you go that way in morning could be ice but the grass is rideable and will be even better if frozen
Old 03-29-2023, 09:04 PM   #4276
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

I don't need to worry about mornings- I will be bringing my bike into work and then riding home in the afternoon on Friday. Mostly due to what you said- I wouldn't want to be surprised by some ice in the morning when it's still dark.
Old 03-30-2023, 09:09 AM   #4277
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I don't need to worry about mornings- I will be bringing my bike into work and then riding home in the afternoon on Friday. Mostly due to what you said- I wouldn't want to be surprised by some ice in the morning when it's still dark.
Let me know how it goes, looks like it'll be melting pretty rapidly again mid next week
Old 03-31-2023, 08:31 PM   #4278
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Gave it a try today. Still a few sketchy parts but certainly doable. Under the CN tracks by the Brick and then the next treed area needed a short walk. Same with under Glenmore- still a foot of snow there.

Of course under every bridge was a little bad. And the stretch south of Glenmore there was your 6-12 inch wide strip to ride on.

Given how many pedestrians were out downtown today- I think it was still the better option than following the river.
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2023, 11:08 AM   #4279
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Admittedly not the intent of this thread, but an Alberta born rider just won arguably the most difficult one day race on the women's calendar. Alison Jackson won the Paris Roubaix, went out in an early break and just hammered the last 10 km or so to hold off the favorites. It is so unreal to see a Canadian win a huge race like this.

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/...paris-roubaix/

Another Canadian Guillaume Boivin led for a while in 2021 in the men's race, hoping he has another great day tomorrow.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2023, 03:23 PM   #4280
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think this fits the spirit. Anyone interested in a Thule RideAlong child bike seat? Doesn’t fit my Trek 29er which is super annoying. Hit me up if so, yours for what I paid early today on Marketplace.

Also, any recommendations for kid bike seats with good adjustability or high clearance between the mount and seat? MEC?