Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-12-2022, 11:35 PM   #1
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Mobile internet options

Is there a better or cheaper option than hotspot off my phone? from what i've researched Bell and Telus are $60/month for only 5gb a month, in comparison you can get 25gb for around $30/month in the states, why are we getting hosed so bad here?

Looking to have internet on the go with my adaptive tablet and last time i used my phone as a hotspot i got nailed like $100 for a week or something insane like that iirc.
Flames_Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 06:38 AM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://shop.shawmobile.ca/en-CA/plans

If you have Shaw internet already, it ranges from $25-$45 for 25GB.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 11:19 AM   #3
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
Is there a better or cheaper option than hotspot off my phone? from what i've researched Bell and Telus are $60/month for only 5gb a month, in comparison you can get 25gb for around $30/month in the states, why are we getting hosed so bad here?

Looking to have internet on the go with my adaptive tablet and last time i used my phone as a hotspot i got nailed like $100 for a week or something insane like that iirc.
Who are you with? 5GB for $60 is so high.

Fido is offering 8GB for $55. If you've been with Fido for a little bit, they're offering "specials" of $60 for 30GB that you can self select in the portal. I think I was offered that and also offered $80 for 100GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://shop.shawmobile.ca/en-CA/plans

If you have Shaw internet already, it ranges from $25-$45 for 25GB.
The reception is apparently still terrible though. I have a friend who is jumping off those plans because they keep traveling to areas where they aren't getting reception when they need it.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 12:49 PM   #4
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Who are you with? 5GB for $60 is so high.

Fido is offering 8GB for $55. If you've been with Fido for a little bit, they're offering "specials" of $60 for 30GB that you can self select in the portal. I think I was offered that and also offered $80 for 100GB.

The reception is apparently still terrible though. I have a friend who is jumping off those plans because they keep traveling to areas where they aren't getting reception when they need it.
Huh, mine has been better than fine. In fact, when on a trip others had no service with Rogers, I think? But because Shaw has roaming deals, it grabs whatever tower is available.
Old 10-13-2022, 01:18 PM   #5
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post

US plan (T-mobile) is 40GB/month high speed hotspot data included in plan, 3G speeds after that unlimited. Can upgrade 40GB to 100GB total for additional $35/month. Better to add new device for unlimited (if possible) at about $40
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 01:50 PM   #6
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Huh, mine has been better than fine. In fact, when on a trip others had no service with Rogers, I think? But because Shaw has roaming deals, it grabs whatever tower is available.
I use Fido and I think it has deals with other providers as well to hop on their towers as needed (shows up as Fido EXT). Robbers, I mean Rogers I seem to recall does no and seems to often end up with more no service situations than other providers (anecdotal only).

My buddy was saying for Shaw mobile that it wasn't that he didn't get reception, it was that he'd have reception, but the quality vs others was awful or he'd have to pay roaming rates relatively regularly.

Fido also has several "1 hour unlimited" options you can choose on each billing cycle, but you have to remember to turn it on to use it. So if you needed to do phone updates and download a ton of movies/songs for offline use, you can do this with no usage of your data on your plan for that hour it is on. I've done it before and crushed out 5-6 GB without worry of updates, song playlist downloads and movies for offline for Netflix within 15 minutes.
Old 10-13-2022, 02:38 PM   #7
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I use Fido and I think it has deals with other providers as well to hop on their towers as needed (shows up as Fido EXT). Robbers, I mean Rogers I seem to recall does no and seems to often end up with more no service situations than other providers (anecdotal only).

My buddy was saying for Shaw mobile that it wasn't that he didn't get reception, it was that he'd have reception, but the quality vs others was awful or he'd have to pay roaming rates relatively regularly.

Fido also has several "1 hour unlimited" options you can choose on each billing cycle, but you have to remember to turn it on to use it. So if you needed to do phone updates and download a ton of movies/songs for offline use, you can do this with no usage of your data on your plan for that hour it is on. I've done it before and crushed out 5-6 GB without worry of updates, song playlist downloads and movies for offline for Netflix within 15 minutes.
I wonder if I was maybe just the bands available for his phone? My wife and I haven't had quality issues at all.

I don't get the roaming rates billing issue, I've never had that. Here is what they say about roaming:
Quote:
Shaw Mobile has relationships with network partners in Canada and globally so that you can stay connected when travelling. When you’re outside of the Shaw Mobile network coverage area in Canada, you’ll connect to the Nationwide network – all of our smartphone plans include no-charge access to Nationwide so that you can continue using your device normally.
Quote:
When I’m connected to the Nationwide network, my device indicates that it is roaming, is this normal?
Yes, this is expected behaviour. While we do not charge roaming or other fees on the Nationwide network within Canada, your device will understand that it’s not connected to Shaw’s network. Mobile data roaming must be enabled to access data services on the Nationwide network, otherwise only calling and text messaging services will be available. Picture and Video messages also require that mobile data roaming is enabled in your device settings. Additionally, we do not charge data overage fees while using the Nationwide network.
https://support.shaw.ca/t5/mobile-ar...ing/ta-p/22805

So maybe he was in the US? You shouldn't get roaming charge in Canada.
Old 10-13-2022, 02:44 PM   #8
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder if I was maybe just the bands available for his phone? My wife and I haven't had quality issues at all.

I don't get the roaming rates billing issue, I've never had that. Here is what they say about roaming:

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/mobile-ar...ing/ta-p/22805

So maybe he was in the US? You shouldn't get roaming charge in Canada.
Hmm... you're right. This buddy was on Wind before it became Shaw mobile. Maybe it's a left over gripe from those days that they never let go. My bad.

He did say that he wasn't impressed with the quality of it for the wife's phone in Banff/Canmore vs the Telus mobile connection he had. They're both using older phones like early era iphone SE and perhaps refurb iPhone 7, so that could be part of the issues too.
Old 10-13-2022, 08:48 PM   #9
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Freedom. 15 a month for 5gb. If you have a sim tablet. I mean, I think they have the best data rates in the country anyways. Plus you get the added bonus of shaw Hotspots everywhere.

Losing shaw to Roger's is a major major pain in my life. I can only pray this deal dies.
Old 10-14-2022, 06:44 AM   #10
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Freedom. 15 a month for 5gb. If you have a sim tablet. I mean, I think they have the best data rates in the country anyways. Plus you get the added bonus of shaw Hotspots everywhere.

Losing shaw to Roger's is a major major pain in my life. I can only pray this deal dies.
Is the thinking that Rogers will start jacking the rates if they take over rather than keep Freedom as their value network?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 07:18 AM   #11
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Is the thinking that Rogers will start jacking the rates if they take over rather than keep Freedom as their value network?
No, Shaw/Roger's has to sell freedom thusly losing all the free wifi hotspot network access.

Roger's already has their value network in Fido.

Don't think the competition board is going to let this deal happen though. They've already said the sale of Freedom to Quebecor (or was it Videotron)wasn't good enough.
Old 10-14-2022, 10:34 AM   #12
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
No, Shaw/Roger's has to sell freedom thusly losing all the free wifi hotspot network access.

Roger's already has their value network in Fido.

Don't think the competition board is going to let this deal happen though. They've already said the sale of Freedom to Quebecor (or was it Videotron)wasn't good enough.
It shouldn't go through. Canadians need more options not less when it comes to Internet and Cable providers.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 11:03 AM   #13
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bumping this, looking for mobile internet for my folks. Hotspotting their phone isn't an option as they are 90 years old. Need something that just works.

Any suggestions that won't break the bank? I have Shawmobile, has anyone tried using their sim in mifi or something? I asked them in the chat and they said "You're welcome to try"...
Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote