Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2023, 12:19 AM   #1961
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure what other games have dropped ps4 and Xbox one entirely. Many games charged an extra $10 if you needed the game on both 4th and 5th gen.

New EA golf game is only available on 5th gen consoles.

Not the switch afaik.
Old 02-08-2023, 10:50 AM   #1962
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
Not sure what other games have dropped ps4 and Xbox one entirely. Many games charged an extra $10 if you needed the game on both 4th and 5th gen.

New EA golf game is only available on 5th gen consoles.

Not the switch afaik.
Forspoken, Hi-Fi Rush, Dead Space Remake, Hogwart's Legacy is coming later to old consoles, Wild Hearts, Star Wars: Jedi Survivor, Redfall, Suicide Squad, Final Fantasy XVI, Spider-Man 2, FFVII Rebirth... more and more big games are dropping last gen. I expect by this time next year it will just be indies / more casual games / sports games still coming out for the old platforms.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 12:31 PM   #1963
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Forspoken, Hi-Fi Rush, Dead Space Remake, Hogwart's Legacy is coming later to old consoles, Wild Hearts, Star Wars: Jedi Survivor, Redfall, Suicide Squad, Final Fantasy XVI, Spider-Man 2, FFVII Rebirth... more and more big games are dropping last gen. I expect by this time next year it will just be indies / more casual games / sports games still coming out for the old platforms.
Yeah in my own tiny world: golf.

I’ll probably have a 360 as long as I can (rock band and guitar hero) but it reminds me to ditch last gen.
Old 02-08-2023, 04:02 PM   #1964
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recall reading when the last generation of consoles came out that most studios were planning to abandon PS4/XB1 around the 3 year mark of the PS5/XSX. That's coming up in November of this year so I'm not surprised to see the old generation being left behind. It happens every generation.

Godspeed, PS4. I had some amazing times with you.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 09:57 AM   #1965
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I recall reading when the last generation of consoles came out that most studios were planning to abandon PS4/XB1 around the 3 year mark of the PS5/XSX. That's coming up in November of this year so I'm not surprised to see the old generation being left behind. It happens every generation.

Godspeed, PS4. I had some amazing times with you.
Mine started to sound like a Nascar when I played things like Valhalla or Tsushima. It actually shut right off twice playing Tsushima.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 12:16 PM   #1966
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Costco online has 3 different ps5 bundles if anyone is looking.
Old 03-06-2023, 10:35 PM   #1967
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Console with no bundles in stock at amazon.ca

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0BCSYVXGL
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2023, 09:38 AM   #1968
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Console with no bundles in stock at amazon.ca

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0BCSYVXGL

See you at the release of the PS6 in 2031.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2023, 10:03 AM   #1969
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
See you at the release of the PS6 in 2031.
I don't know....based on Sony's arguments, if the MS/Blizzard Activision deal goes through it might not be feasible for Sony to compete and release a PS6.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 08:37 AM   #1970
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have they stopped releasing actual numbers for Gamepass like they stopped letting shareholders know their console sales numbers?

https://kotaku.com/xbox-series-x-s-s...ves-1850375665

Microsoft Is Struggling To Sell Xboxes, Again

It was the hardware side of the business that suffered. Revenue from devices like the Surface tablets Tom Brady kept trashing last year was down 30 percent, and Xbox consoles were down by the same amount.

That nosedive in “next-gen” hardware sales came despite big holiday discounts like the temporary $50 price cut to the Series S. It was no doubt driven in large part by the fact that Microsoft’s lineup of first-party exclusives has been anemic.

Xbox content and services revenue, meanwhile, was only up three percent. That includes Game Pass, the Netflix-like subscription service Microsoft says is profitable but which seems to have plateaued in terms of gaining new subscribers. That’s probably again because of the lack of big new releases coming to the service.

There are more than a few shades of the start of the Xbox One console cycle here, the stormy period that originally led Microsoft to stop reporting the actual sales figures for its consoles altogether. If anything, competition is even more fierce this time around, between the runaway success of the Nintendo Switch and the PS5 selling faster than the PS4 despite supply shortages brought on by a historic pandemic.

But Microsoft might have bigger plans in store than selling the most boxes. The company has teased opening up its own app store for mobile devices, and is currently trying to wrap up the $69 billion acquisition of Activision Blizzard, which would immediately give it a huge influx of popular blockbusters for Game Pass. UK regulators are expected to announce their final decision on the deal on April 26.
Old 04-26-2023, 09:03 AM   #1971
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Have they stopped releasing actual numbers for Gamepass like they stopped letting shareholders know their console sales numbers?

https://kotaku.com/xbox-series-x-s-s...ves-1850375665

Microsoft Is Struggling To Sell Xboxes, Again

It was the hardware side of the business that suffered. Revenue from devices like the Surface tablets Tom Brady kept trashing last year was down 30 percent, and Xbox consoles were down by the same amount.

That nosedive in “next-gen” hardware sales came despite big holiday discounts like the temporary $50 price cut to the Series S. It was no doubt driven in large part by the fact that Microsoft’s lineup of first-party exclusives has been anemic.

Xbox content and services revenue, meanwhile, was only up three percent. That includes Game Pass, the Netflix-like subscription service Microsoft says is profitable but which seems to have plateaued in terms of gaining new subscribers. That’s probably again because of the lack of big new releases coming to the service.

There are more than a few shades of the start of the Xbox One console cycle here, the stormy period that originally led Microsoft to stop reporting the actual sales figures for its consoles altogether. If anything, competition is even more fierce this time around, between the runaway success of the Nintendo Switch and the PS5 selling faster than the PS4 despite supply shortages brought on by a historic pandemic.

But Microsoft might have bigger plans in store than selling the most boxes. The company has teased opening up its own app store for mobile devices, and is currently trying to wrap up the $69 billion acquisition of Activision Blizzard, which would immediately give it a huge influx of popular blockbusters for Game Pass. UK regulators are expected to announce their final decision on the deal on April 26.
Pretty big news as UK regulators have decided to block Microsoft's acquisition of Activision-Blizzard. Of course MS plans to appeal and such but as far I understand this is pretty much a fork in it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/m...n-cloud-gaming
Old 04-28-2023, 03:47 PM   #1972
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting, I wonder how much more effort and money they might sink in trying to fight it. At least another year or two? Seeing consoles down 30% with supply chains now basically fixed isn't exactly great.

Good thing for shareholders, revenue from their other divisions are actually growing well.
Old 04-29-2023, 09:34 PM   #1973
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Supply chain has healed, video cards and consoles are easy to get a hold of again. Will be interesting to see what the PS5 can do with a normal holiday season.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1648680818376601604

https://twitter.com/user/status/1651830257660436481

I guess Microsoft and Sony have different fiscal year starting points but this covers the same period.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1651863639781933058
Old 04-30-2023, 12:50 AM   #1974
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I guess Microsoft and Sony have different fiscal year starting points but this covers the same period.
For Japanese companies, their fiscal years are almost always April 1 to March 31.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 02:37 PM   #1975
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have read a lot of activity on Twitter about the head of Xbox talking about how they lost the last generation to PlayStation and it is the reason they are losing this generation. Looks like their most recent exclusive is bombing.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 02:59 PM   #1976
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I have read a lot of activity on Twitter about the head of Xbox talking about how they lost the last generation to PlayStation and it is the reason they are losing this generation. Looks like their most recent exclusive is bombing.
Yeah Phil Spencer was on Kinda Funny’s Xcast yesterday to discuss all of this, and it’s a pretty good interview actually. Concedes that losing the last gen console battle (when everyone built up their digital libraries) creates an inertia that’s pretty difficult to overcome, and that there’s “no world” where Starfield being an 11/10 game will cause people that start selling their PS5’s. Thus Microsoft’s strategy to avoid trying to out-console Nintendo and Sony and instead forge new paths with stuff like Cloud, Gamepass, etc.
Old 05-04-2023, 03:12 PM   #1977
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
Yeah Phil Spencer was on Kinda Funny’s Xcast yesterday to discuss all of this, and it’s a pretty good interview actually. Concedes that losing the last gen console battle (when everyone built up their digital libraries) creates an inertia that’s pretty difficult to overcome, and that there’s “no world” where Starfield being an 11/10 game will cause people that start selling their PS5’s. Thus Microsoft’s strategy to avoid trying to out-console Nintendo and Sony and instead forge new paths with stuff like Cloud, Gamepass, etc.
Because nobody has ever full out lost a console generation and then come back to be the market leader off the back of unique hardware and must-have exclusive games.

Except for Nintendo. Twice.

Starfield being an "11/10" might not make people sell their PS5, but it'll get a lot of people to buy an Xbox. And it'll help to sway a lot of people who haven't bought either yet (of which there are tens of millions). Sounds like they're just giving up.
Old 05-04-2023, 04:48 PM   #1978
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Because nobody has ever full out lost a console generation and then come back to be the market leader off the back of unique hardware and must-have exclusive games.

Except for Nintendo. Twice.

Starfield being an "11/10" might not make people sell their PS5, but it'll get a lot of people to buy an Xbox. And it'll help to sway a lot of people who haven't bought either yet (of which there are tens of millions). Sounds like they're just giving up.
I don’t think that’s how it sounds at all, and I don’t think using Nintendo as an analog here makes much sense as they’ve always kind of been on an island doing their own thing. Obviously they want to sell more consoles, but it’s simply true to state that dropping the ball at the outset of the previous gen created a hill to climb in a world of established digital libraries (especially between Microsoft and Sony where the game libraries are so similar, unlike Nintendo).

If Microsoft drops some real first party quality in the coming couple years, sure, they’ll sell some more consoles. Phil’s basically saying that Sony’s so good at what they do in this space though that it’s still never going to really move the needle in the form of some big swing in the “console war” itself.
Old 05-04-2023, 06:30 PM   #1979
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
Yeah Phil Spencer was on Kinda Funny’s Xcast yesterday to discuss all of this, and it’s a pretty good interview actually.
It was a tough interview, kudos to him for showing up for it.

Spoiler!

I guess I disagree though. I'm a little surprised by the defeatism from a CEO at the end regardless of their recent momentum though. I do think the Nintendo example is salient and disagree about just giving up or trying to move the needle.

Nintendo went from an absolute disaster of 13 million lifetime consoles over 5 years to 120+ million in a single generation and a billion in software sales. They didn't do it with 3rd party game support, COD, Battlefield, money hatted timed exclusives, digital libraries, motion controls or GTA. It was all based on good first party games.

You absolutely have control over that. And you have the resources, heck to open up your own studios if you need to when you're throwing around tens of billions of dollars. Sort out your studios and put out good games. This totally describes it better than I can.

Last edited by chemgear; 05-04-2023 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-04-2023, 07:07 PM   #1980
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It was a tough interview, kudos to him for showing up for it.

Spoiler!

I guess I disagree though. I'm a little surprised by the defeatism from a CEO at the end regardless of their recent momentum though. I do think the Nintendo example is salient and disagree about just giving up or trying to move the needle.

Nintendo went from an absolute disaster of 13 million lifetime consoles over 5 years to 120+ million in a single generation and a billion in software sales. They didn't do it with 3rd party game support, COD, Battlefield, money hatted timed exclusives, digital libraries, motion controls or GTA. It was all based on good first party games.

You absolutely have control over that. And you have the resources, heck to open up your own studios if you need to when you're throwing around tens of billions of dollars. Sort out your studios and put out good games. This totally describes it better than I can.

I think the “Phil Spencer’s throwing in the towel” narrative is being blown a bit out of proportion on the basis of a comment made in one interview in which there’s some frustration from a recent shaky Redfall launch. It’s been reiterated numerous times that Microsoft is committed to the space and is working to deliver good games. The steady clip of quality AAA single player titles a la Sony hasn’t been there but there seems to be some decent stuff in the hopper and the brand’s making a lot of cheddar.

I’d rather the guy give a genuine interview and wear his heart on his sleeve than hear some run of the mill exec sit in front of the camera for 30 minutes spewing corporate platitudes.