Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Notices

Old 11-06-2009, 11:50 PM   #1
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Improving helmets?

With Fanelli in critical condition and lots of concussion stuff happening, has anyone thought to improve the helmets? They have been 'improved' but haven't changed much. In particular the strap.

Take a look at an nfl football helmet (sorry i don't know how to attach images!) my fav would be an attachment of Drew Brees getting sacked or something.. he's awesome. And NFL players, like NHL players, are machines Anyway those helmets take a LOT to come off due to the chinstrap that actually comes around the front of the chin.

Hockey straps are ridiculous. I think even bike helmets are better. This game is too fast now to not have something that stays on you.

I'm not suggesting a football helmet here. Players still need to be able to see the ice and have eyes in the back of their head, which is always the best way to avoid injury. But a better strapping mechanism that snaps in just like football helmets would still allow for fights i'm sure.

Anyway I've been thinking about this one a lot haha. All this talk about 'slowing the game down' or 'developing respect for players', and other ideas that are just counterintuitive to sport and human nature. It's a contact sport and when hard hits or 'accidents' happen, a player's helmet should at least stay on.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Fanelli would of had his chin strap done up correctly, maybe his injuries are less severe, also I am sure his head hit the metal divider. Players need to have more respect for others and they also need to know how to protect themselves, I think you start there before you look at equipment.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

But isn't that a key difference? Being a little less injured to the noggen is always a good thing. I'm not saying that dealing with lack of respect would no longer be an issue.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:53 AM   #4
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

No strap is going to work if it's not done up properly. A lot of guys have their strap hanging four inches below their chin, so obviously it won't stop their helmets from coming off.

That said, I have nothing against improving helmets.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:08 AM   #5
Montana Moe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Some Messier guy and Cascade Sports have developed a helmet designed to reduce head injuries:
http://www.themessierproject.com/

As stated before, the bottom line is that many players have their straps way too loose. Nothing will improve until this changes, IMO.
Montana Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Montana Moe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2009, 01:19 AM   #6
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
No strap is going to work if it's not done up properly. A lot of guys have their strap hanging four inches below their chin, so obviously it won't stop their helmets from coming off.

That said, I have nothing against improving helmets.
Case in point, Dustin Boyd.
Almost every game his helmet pops off.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:06 AM   #7
Eddie Bronze
Franchise Player

Exp:

You must also consider that even with an improved helmet with a chin strap done up properly, the player can still be concussed in a collision just based on the force with which he's hit. No helmet is going to save you when that big hard piece of plastic (in the shoulder pad) is driven into you at whatever speeds these guys move at, with 200+ lbs behind it.

I personally had a concussion in a fall in which my head didn't hit anything or wasn't hit by anything. Just the whiplash effect was enough to cause it.

Improved helmets are a good idea but they aren't the answer to curing concussions.
Eddie Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know what you mean. Whiplash concussions can and will happen. But it's a step above skull fractures or heads hitting the ice with no helmet.

Check out this here:
http://drewbrees.info/pictures.html

There is no way the helmet is coming off with that chinstrap mounted on the front. There would be no way you could have it loosy goosy.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #9
Eddie Bronze
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
But it's a step above skull fractures or heads hitting the ice with no helmet.
Absolutely, you'll get no argument from me.

Quote:
There is no way the helmet is coming off with that chinstrap mounted on the front. There would be no way you could have it loosy goosy.
I have a hard time believing we'll ever see hockey players wear a chin strap like that. They'd probably fight that just like the visor issue.

Maybe part of developing higher quality helmets is to shorten the length of the chin straps coming from the manufacturer.
Eddie Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #10
algernon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Here's your buddy :

The league should just mandate that all chin straps must be tight. If there is a rule for freaking fight straps, then why not one for the safety of the player's heed?
algernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #11
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Case in point, Dustin Boyd.
Almost every game his helmet pops off.
That's cause those curls are springy!
Old 11-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #12
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

One thing I have noticed through my years of watching hockey is that, generally, the guys who are dishing out the concussions are smart enough to have their straps on tight.

Improving helmets will do little to mitigate the G-forces created by collisions at high speed between players.

You can put as much padding around the skull as you want, but it won't matter if your brain is crashing around inside it.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote