Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Contests, Drafts, Trivia and Images
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default All-time Calgary Flames Mini-Draft - Workshop Thread

Welcome to the CP ALL-TIME CALGARY FLAMES MINI-DRAFT Workshop Thread

10 teams, 6 rounds. Pick your all-time Flames starting lineup:

G -
D -
D -
F -
F -
F -

For draft purposes, I won't differentiate between LW, RW and C, although a balanced line will never hurt come playoff time (see below). All players must have played at least one NHL regular season game with the Calgary Flames (i.e. no Atlanta Flames, no preseason, no prospects, etc.). PLAYERS WILL BE ASSESSED BASED ON WHAT THEY ACCOMPLISHED IN CALGARY (i.e. you can't pick Grant Fuhr and get the guy who won five cups, only the older, washed up version).

I will attempt to continuously update the thread title and draft board; the thread title will display the next 3 picks, so if you see your name it's either your turn or pretty close. Time limit is 24 hours for this draft.

List of participants (draft order will be a reverse snake, TBD via random draw):
1. tvp2003
2. GirlySports
3. JerzeeGirl
4. Prototype
5. WindomURL
6. HalifaxDrunk
7. StrayBullet
8. czure32
9. Aeneas
10. Jagger

RULES:

No trades. It's a mini draft with only 6 picks each

No switching. There are no categories so I'm thinking most players will only have one position.

When you are selecting please state in BOLD letters your pick and his position. Done and done. Feel free to brag about who you picked and why he'll make your team the CP Cup Champion (see below).

When it's your turn you have 24 hours to make your pick. After 24 hours the draft will continue on until you come back and pick. Your name will have brackets around it in the thread title. If your turn is coming up and you will be away, PM me your top 3 choices (in order of preference) and I'll pick whoever is available for you (if you see a name in the thread title with a * beside it, that means they have submitted their pick to the commish).

In order to add more depth to the rosters, I'll be adding a "supplemental" draft at the end for UFA's... depending on who's left, each team will be allowed to pick 2-3 more players, so you'll have a chance to add some more grit, toughness, character, leadership, etc without having to put him in your starting 6. These supplemental picks will be first come, first served, when UFA season opens (hopefully at a mutually agreed upon time).

Playoffs: In order to determine a winner, I will do up an 8 team playoff (based on the top 8 teams, by vote or otherwise). Each game will then be played out, with the winner determined by me (including my personal game recap) or else by vote (again, with my personal game recap. Okay, I'm a loser). The winner will be crowned CP Cup Champion. Yay.

Post any questions in case I don't know what I'm doing

Original Post:

I was looking through some of these CP Draft threads and thought it might be interesting to do an actual hockey player draft, but with all-time Flames. The categories could be something like 2 goalies (starter and backup), 4 d-men (1-2 pairing and depth pairing), and 6 forwards (scoring line and scoring/checking/energy line). That would make 12 selections per team, maybe 12 teams in total?

P.S. I've never done one of these but I guess the rules would be the same as the other drafts (i.e. trading), although switching categories probably won't work since each player only has one category.

P.P.S. Not sure if this should have went on the Flames Forum instead, but I thought I'd post here in case there was an unwritten rule that all "draft" threads had to be put here...

Any thoughts?!?

Last edited by tvp2003; 01-05-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

We could call it "The chris_lindberg Draft".
Old 12-23-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Your going to be scraping the bottom of the barrel once you get down past, say, the top 100 Flames, and then you have to go all the way to 144.

If I were involved in this, which I'm not, I'd want to draft a LW, C, RW, D, D, G.

You could probably pick a winner for this one too, if you are so inclined.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
We could call it "The chris_lindberg Draft".
We may or may not want to include current Flames prospects on the list (I would suggest the latter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Your going to be scraping the bottom of the barrel once you get down past, say, the top 100 Flames, and then you have to go all the way to 144.

If I were involved in this, which I'm not, I'd want to draft a LW, C, RW, D, D, G.

You could probably pick a winner for this one too, if you are so inclined.
Yeah, that's what I was concerned with. With 12 teams, that would mean 24 goalies, so I thought that was the max we would want. Skaters might be a little easier, although you'll probably get some obscure names in the late rounds. Maybe a starting 6, plus a reserve goalie, d-man and forward?

Last edited by tvp2003; 12-23-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Along this vein, I've often thought that an all-time NHL draft would be a great idea.

...and, in the interest of getting carried away, why not have a series of polls at the end to simulate a playoff season, with an eventual CP NHL Draft winner?

Obviously, the teams would have to be small so the draft moved realatively quickly.

I'd break it down like this:
- 20 Teams (10 teams, 2 Conferences)
- 14 Rounds (C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, G, G, Coach)
- 12 Teams make the playoffs (decided by the top 16 vote-getters in a poll at the end)
- 1st Round: Top 2 teams in each conference get a bye, other 4 teams pair off with appropriate seeding
- 2nd Round: 2 previous round winners face the bye teams
- 3rd Round: 2 previous round winners face each other
- 4th Round: Finals (conference-winning teams face each other)

Each playoff round would just be a week-long poll. Either informal, where people just post their votes, or a formal one with checkboxes. Up to the mods, since it would be work for them to set everything up.

Anyhoo... that's my idea for a hockey draft. Hopefully this isn't too much of a hijack. I think it's pretty much similar to the "Flames Draft" idea, but there aren't really that many Flames worth drafting.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:39 PM   #6
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ Actually, my first idea was to do an all-time NHL draft, or perhaps just a NHL draft with only current players However, since this is a Flames board, I thought an all-Flames draft might be a little more appropriate...

I'll await some more feedback before deciding on whether to do a Flames one (which begs the question, how does one "declare" a draft... just start a new thread asking for participants?!?
Old 12-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #7
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

If you want to start a draft you have a "Workshop" thread, which this could be. That is mainly used to find participants and smooth out the rules.
Once you have enough people and the rules are agreed on to the majority then you start a new thread for the draft itself.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:50 PM   #8
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Instead of breaking them down only by F, D or G; or LW, RW, C etc; why not you have to draft a specific skill.

Skater
Slapshot
Wrist shot
Body checker
Fighter
Passer
Defensive forward
Defensive defencman

etc.

Just to get more categories.
Just a thought.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #9
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Ooops I didn't see this thread when i started my hockey draft thread.
If you want an all-time draft I'll run it and you can join in my workshop thread.

If you want to do a Calgary thread than can I play?

Last edited by GirlySports; 12-28-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:25 AM   #10
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Sure sure you just didn't like someone moving in on your draft territory eh? Just could not stand the fact that someone might be running one besides you, well guess what you may be the draft queen but maybe it is about time someone knocked you off your throne.
Not me you are to powerful but someone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Superflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2008, 03:05 PM   #11
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL... no worries. I think I'll do a "mini-draft" (Flames only) after the all-time hockey draft is finished...

Yes you can play
Old 12-29-2008, 04:13 PM   #12
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
LOL... no worries. I think I'll do a "mini-draft" (Flames only) after the all-time hockey draft is finished...

Yes you can play
Are you sure? All-time Hockey draft could take months.
You can start anytime, people are used to 10 drafts going on at once

Old 12-29-2008, 04:30 PM   #13
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Are you sure? All-time Hockey draft could take months.
You can start anytime, people are used to 10 drafts going on at once
Really? Okay, maybe I'll update the original post and get my mini-Flames draft going with this as the workshop thread...

Then I will take over the entire CP Draft Empire... bwa ha ha!

Old 12-29-2008, 04:42 PM   #14
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Cool. Save a spot for me

Old 12-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #15
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, first post is updated, now I just need 10 more teams.

P.S. I'm heading out to the game tonight so I won't be checking this thread until I get back...
Old 12-29-2008, 06:53 PM   #16
JerzeeGirl
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm in if you'll have me!

Don't know if my team will rule the rest but I hope it'll be respectable!

How are the finals going to be played once the teams are selected? Do I smell some NHL2K9 recaps?
Old 12-29-2008, 09:40 PM   #17
Prototype

Exp:

I'll give er a go.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:46 PM   #18
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeeGirl View Post
How are the finals going to be played once the teams are selected? Do I smell some NHL2K9 recaps?
That would be the smart and/or cool way to do it. I'm always open for suggestions. However, it's not as fun as me analyzing each of rosters and running through the thousands of possible outcomes in my head to determine a winner
Old 12-30-2008, 12:53 AM   #19
WindomURL
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Another draft?!?!? Gawd, jeez, holy.... Yeah I'll join!
Old 12-30-2008, 01:04 AM   #20
JerzeeGirl
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindomURL View Post
Another draft?!?!? Gawd, jeez, holy.... Yeah I'll join!
Like you could resist the lure of another draft.....talk about a very twistable rubber arm.....

Tags
all-time , draft , flames