Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-07-2021, 01:06 PM   #1
Big_Rock
Draft Pick
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Default YYC news media

Hey friends,

With all the news in the world right now, who is your go to for information? Is there any that you don't trust? Who is your favourite personality? All in good fun.
Big_Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:07 PM   #2
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player
 
Johnny Makarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Exp:
Default

Just stay the eff away from the Dinger.
__________________
Peter12 "I'm no Trump fan but he is smarter than most if not everyone in this thread. ”
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:08 PM   #3
Wastedyouth
Truculent!
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Rock View Post
Hey friends,

With all the news in the world right now, who is your go to for information? Is there any that you don't trust? Who is your favourite personality? All in good fun.
Ohhhhh no, you ain't fooling me China!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
It's the Law of E=NG. If there was an Edmonton on Mars, it would stink like Uranus.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 01:09 PM   #4
topfiverecords
Franchise Player
 
topfiverecords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Overreaction Arena
Exp:
Default

https://www.yyc.com/en-us/news.aspx
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 01:42 PM   #5
Swift
Not Taylor
 
Swift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Floating down the Liffey
Exp:
Default

In our house, our choices come down to what we first knew, so my wife will watch Global because that's what she grew up with whereas I'll watch CFCN/CTV because that's what I was first introduced to when I moved to Canada.

So my wife starts work early and watches Global's breakfast news. She likes the rapport between the various personalities. I'm not up early so no morning news for me.

If our coffee breaks coincides we'll switch on Global's noon hour news.

In the evening time, my wife would have Global on while making dinner, but I'll turn on CTV once I come home/finish work. It's more out of habit really. I like David Spence. I like Ian White's vanilla blandness. This might be out of bounds here but I think Camilla Di Giuseppe is the best looking anchor in Calgary.

Don't watch late night news. I visit CBC for local online news, but never watch their local TV broadcasts. Whatever way they film the studio looks really cheap.

City TV may as well not exist for me. I literally watch nothing whatsoever on that channel.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 01:55 PM   #6
Muta
Franchise Player
 
Muta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auckland, NZ
Exp:
Default

The Onion or Beaverton, since they seem to be getting more accurate day by day.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 02:00 PM   #7
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
 
troutman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Winebar Kensington
Exp:
Default

CBC Calgary Radio for news.

YYScene for local entertainment news.
__________________
http://navigator.law
http://cjsw.com/program/fossil-records/
twitter/instagram @troutman1966
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 02:08 PM   #8
Northendzone
Franchise Player
 
Northendzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Exp:
Default

does Rebel news count as Calgary based given Ezra's involvement?

How about the Epoch Times.

I have kind of given up watching the news as it seems even the simplest of stories leave obvious questions unasked
__________________
I really like bikes and bike related discussions......
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:12 PM   #9
Mull
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
does Rebel news count as Calgary based given Ezra's involvement?

How about the Epoch Times.

I have kind of given up watching the news as it seems even the simplest of stories leave obvious questions unasked
I was going to post both of these... but given I am a new user I think people would have fairly assumed I was serious

The rebel in my view is a threat to Canada and our way of life. Its threat to Canada by selling misinformation cannot be understated.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 02:32 PM   #10
sketchyt
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Exp:
Default

I try to keep it simple:
  • Reuters
  • CP
  • AP
  • USA Today
  • Globe and Mail (but paywall)

Plenty of Calgary info in most of those. And believe it or not, there are still journalists in the city who just try to report as accurately as possible. Parts of the Herald/Sun can sometimes be ok but not great. People like Tony Seskus on CBC are the real deal and can separate their opinions from the reporting. He was highly respected in the Herald newsroom.

Smaller places like The Sprawl can be decent but clearly lean in one direction.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:53 PM   #11
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!
 
Torture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Exp:
Default

The "mainstream media" - Globe and Mail, CBC, Calgary Herald, etc
Twitter
The Sprawl
CP obviously
Podcasts -- Real Talk w/ Ryan Jespersen, The Strategists, Daveberta, Political RND, West of Centre, The Breakdown, Herle Burly, The Big Story (more Ontario centric) are a few I have on regular rotation..
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 03:25 PM   #12
topfiverecords
Franchise Player
 
topfiverecords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Overreaction Arena
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
In our house, our choices come down to what we first knew, so my wife will watch Global because that's what she grew up with whereas I'll watch CFCN/CTV because that's what I was first introduced to when I moved to Canada.

So my wife starts work early and watches Global's breakfast news. She likes the rapport between the various personalities. I'm not up early so no morning news for me.

If our coffee breaks coincides we'll switch on Global's noon hour news.

In the evening time, my wife would have Global on while making dinner, but I'll turn on CTV once I come home/finish work. It's more out of habit really. I like David Spence. I like Ian White's vanilla blandness. This might be out of bounds here but I think Camilla Di Giuseppe is the best looking anchor in Calgary.

Don't watch late night news. I visit CBC for local online news, but never watch their local TV broadcasts. Whatever way they film the studio looks really cheap.

City TV may as well not exist for me. I literally watch nothing whatsoever on that channel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
CBC Calgary Radio for news.

YYScene for local entertainment news.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
I try to keep it simple:
  • Reuters
  • CP
  • AP
  • USA Today
  • Globe and Mail (but paywall)

Plenty of Calgary info in most of those. And believe it or not, there are still journalists in the city who just try to report as accurately as possible. Parts of the Herald/Sun can sometimes be ok but not great. People like Tony Seskus on CBC are the real deal and can separate their opinions from the reporting. He was highly respected in the Herald newsroom.

Smaller places like The Sprawl can be decent but clearly lean in one direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
The "mainstream media" - Globe and Mail, CBC, Calgary Herald, etc
Twitter
The Sprawl
CP obviously
Podcasts -- Real Talk w/ Ryan Jespersen, The Strategists, Daveberta, Political RND, West of Centre, The Breakdown, Herle Burly, The Big Story (more Ontario centric) are a few I have on regular rotation..
Right, but those are for news about Calgary. Where do you get your news about the Calgary Airport? A.k.a YYC.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:42 PM   #13
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

Don't do much local, I do watch CTV News because I still have a huge crush on Marcia McMillan.



Lots of BBC, don't watch much US News Coverage anymore, its all horrible.
__________________
You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn’t get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16…
Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:43 PM   #14
Bigtime
Franchise Player
 
Bigtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Right, but those are for news about Calgary. Where do you get your news about the Calgary Airport? A.k.a YYC.
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=104391

Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 03:54 PM   #15
bizaro86
Franchise Player
 
bizaro86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Exp:
Default

I can't imagine watching the news. If the goal is to gather news information, any source with reading is faster. If the goal is mindless entertainment almost any other TV would be better.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 04:20 PM   #16
Weitz
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I can't imagine watching the news. If the goal is to gather news information, any source with reading is faster. If the goal is mindless entertainment almost any other TV would be better.
TV news goes on when making dinner, doing dishes, making a lunch for the day... Something to hear in the background.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 04:38 PM   #17
bizaro86
Franchise Player
 
bizaro86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
TV news goes on when making dinner, doing dishes, making a lunch for the day... Something to hear in the background.
Fair enough. I prefer music for that, but obviously YMMV.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 04:41 PM   #18
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre
 
Leeman4Gilmour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Normally, my desk
Exp:
Default

For online source, I'm finding myself drifting more and more to AlJazeera.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 05:08 PM   #19
Wastedyouth
Truculent!
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
For online source, I'm finding myself drifting more and more to AlJazeera.
I have been a fan of Al Jazeera since my time in the middle east. Usually my go to now for most news.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
It's the Law of E=NG. If there was an Edmonton on Mars, it would stink like Uranus.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 05:50 PM   #20
PaperBagger'14
#1 Goaltender
 
PaperBagger'14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cowtown
Exp:
Default

I almost never watch the news, I may occasionally grab the Sun to read. The issue with the Sun is that several of their headlining journalists are gutter slugs (looking at you Rick Bell).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilboimcdavid View Post
Eakins wasn't a bad coach, the team just had 2 bad years, they should've been more patient.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
calgary , media , news , radio , television

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:06 AM.

Calgary Flames
2021-22




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021