Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 11:56 AM   #13301
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
The team may not rebuild now, but if we keep things at current course, there's a good likelihood this will bottom out and we'll have a more solid foundation of prospects to build from if we have the good fortune of getting a top 3 pick as the franchise piece.
I'm not convinced of that. This team has enough good players to remain decidedly mediocre.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 12:03 PM   #13302
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The biggest risk for me is deepening our prospect deficit, making the inevitable rebuild that much harder to crawl out of. I don't think we can afford to be making futures deals when we are in the bottom 5 in the league in futures as it stands.

It's awfully tempting because it would undoubtedly add some excitement, and he's a young core player, but the cost is too prohibitive for the Flames to rightfully be considering, IMO.

The team may not rebuild now, but if we keep things at current course, there's a good likelihood this will bottom out and we'll have a more solid foundation of prospects to build from if we have the good fortune of getting a top 3 pick as the franchise piece.
have a hard time agreeing.

The Flames are not going to rebuild. There is no indication of this happening in recent history, the past 20 years or so, or recent history, Sutter hire Markstrom signing.

With Treliving having two years left on his deal the time for bold action is this offseason. If he can find an elite player to catapult the team into contention, I think that is the only way he is going to see the final year of his contract. It is risky, but that's simply the cost of doing business as a GM in the NHL.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:04 PM   #13303
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
With the Pacific looking as crappy as it does over the next bit unless the Flames actively trade players away or Markstrom absolutely sucks then they will likely finish in the 10-20 range. Only way they get a top 3 pick is getting lucky and winning the lotto.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:05 PM   #13304
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Is this true?

Eichel hates being drafted second to the guy who just got over 100 points in 56 games so badly that he, an American wants to move to a city on NTC lists league wide just to show him up?

Either this story or the player - one of them sounds more than just a little crazy
Well, Eichel is a pretty cocky fellow. I mean, you can be upset all you want for being picked 2nd... But there isn’t any other GM out there that would’ve picked Eichel over McDavid.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:09 PM   #13305
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is this true?

Eichel hates being drafted second to the guy who just got over 100 points in 56 games so badly that he, an American wants to move to a city on NTC lists league wide just to show him up?

Either this story or the player - one of them sounds more than just a little crazy
Who cares what Eichel said when he was drafted as an 18 year old. He doesn't have trade protection and apparently desperately wants out of Buffalo. I am sure he would prefer go to a sunbelt State or California but if he hates Buffalo he will probably just be happy to leave.

Seattle might have a decent chance at landing him. Trade their first for Eichel this year and whatever decent players they get from the expansion draft.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:14 PM   #13306
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is this true?

Who knows if any of Eichel's hate or rivalry with McDavid is true, I just want to hear stories later about Darryl egging Eichel on in BOA games. I'm sure there would be some good zingers.

"So you thought you should've been drafted ahead of this guy, eh? Well he's got 2 goals!"
Old 06-11-2021, 12:26 PM   #13307
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Who cares what Eichel said when he was drafted as an 18 year old. He doesn't have trade protection and apparently desperately wants out of Buffalo. I am sure he would prefer go to a sunbelt State or California but if he hates Buffalo he will probably just be happy to leave.

Seattle might have a decent chance at landing him. Trade their first for Eichel this year and whatever decent players they get from the expansion draft.
Do we know he desperately wants out? I don't think I have seen that quote. I also think suggesting he 'hates' Buffalo to be laying it on a little thick. He probably likes certain things about Buffalo, otherwise why would he have signed an 8 max year extension?

It is probably a lot closer to the truth to say the two parties are going their separate ways. Not too sure why these over the top false narrative's need to be made up.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:29 PM   #13308
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Do we know he desperately wants out? I don't think I have seen that quote. I also think suggesting he 'hates' Buffalo to be laying it on a little thick. He probably likes certain things about Buffalo, otherwise why would he have signed an 8 max year extension?

It is probably a lot closer to the truth to say the two parties are going their separate ways. Not too sure why these over the top false narrative's need to be made up.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1391785966675841025

Other than the "where's there smoke" argument, I don't think you need a magnifying glass to read too deep into the "wherever that might be" quote.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1391787351660187653
Old 06-11-2021, 12:39 PM   #13309
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1391785966675841025

Other than the "where's there smoke" argument, I don't think you need a magnifying glass to read too deep into the "wherever that might be" quote.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1391787351660187653
I don’t see the words ‘desperate’ or ‘hate’ in there. I don’t even see him saying ‘I’m not coming back’.

Clearly a difference of opinions and a want to move on. But I find this is how things get a little distorted. Bonded’s post is not accurate. This overselling of people’s thoughts or wants is erroneous and unnecessary, but then again it is the internet so what’s a little stretching of the truth?
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 12:43 PM   #13310
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t see the words ‘desperate’ or ‘hate’ in there. I don’t even see him saying ‘I’m not coming back’.

Clearly a difference of opinions and a want to move on. But I find this is how things get a little distorted. Bonded’s post is not accurate. This overselling of people’s thoughts or wants is erroneous and unnecessary, but then again it is the internet so what’s a little stretching of the truth?
My view is more that the only reason they trade him is because the relationship is untenable otherwise they would be better to hold off as his value is at the lowest.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:48 PM   #13311
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is almost a certainty that he gets moved it is a breakup that needs to happen. If the Rangers want to make it happen they can with some of their young pieces that they apparently do not want to move. Same with LA they have picked top 10 4 years in a row so have plenty of pieces to dangle. Those would likely top the list of destinations for Eichel. Anaheim appears to be a wildcard and they have assets to make a deal. If they don’t want to move Zegras or Drysdale or their 3rd overall pick then they do not offer much.

The Flames are desperate to shake things up and they are a small market team in western Canada. Flames games are not on US TV and mostly start at 9-10:30 EST. Really easy to forget about him sending him here.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:59 PM   #13312
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the ultimate threat for this team is indefinite mediocrity. Acquiring Eichel is risky, but it's actually less risky than continuing as is.

Barring a huge trade or a complete rebuild, the mediocrity is likely to continue. There will be good years and bad years, but overall the team would remain mediocre.

If you get Eichel and it completely backfires, worst case scenario is that you do a complete rebuild. That's still better than mediocrity. Anything is better than mediocrity.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 01:05 PM   #13313
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I think the ultimate threat for this team is indefinite mediocrity. Acquiring Eichel is risky, but it's actually less risky than continuing as is.

Barring a huge trade or a complete rebuild, the mediocrity is likely to continue. There will be good years and bad years, but overall the team would remain mediocre.

If you get Eichel and it completely backfires, worst case scenario is that you do a complete rebuild. That's still better than mediocrity. Anything is better than mediocrity.
Absolutely. Even if it completely back fires, you still can trade him for assets and rebuild.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 01:11 PM   #13314
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
My view is more that the only reason they trade him is because the relationship is untenable otherwise they would be better to hold off as his value is at the lowest.
yeah, I agree here. It does seem like a line has been crossed. Add on the years of frustration I am sure Eichel, and maybe even the Sabres, believe it is time to move on.

I do wonder about his value though. His value will be set by the market. At the end of the day, this is a 25 year old elite C with five years left on his deal. That type of asset rarely hits the market. So what are teams willing to pay. To me this screams of; 'come with your best offer, or don't come'.

Sounds like some teams are not comfortable with the surgery Eichel wants, but it also sounds like some are. Someone is going to step up and acquire the player, I think the Flames have the pieces to put together a competitive offer, but how deep do they want to cut?
Old 06-11-2021, 01:13 PM   #13315
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
It is almost a certainty that he gets moved it is a breakup that needs to happen. If the Rangers want to make it happen they can with some of their young pieces that they apparently do not want to move. Same with LA they have picked top 10 4 years in a row so have plenty of pieces to dangle. Those would likely top the list of destinations for Eichel. Anaheim appears to be a wildcard and they have assets to make a deal. If they don’t want to move Zegras or Drysdale or their 3rd overall pick then they do not offer much.

The Flames are desperate to shake things up and they are a small market team in western Canada. Flames games are not on US TV and mostly start at 9-10:30 EST. Really easy to forget about him sending him here.
I also think Minnesota might come strong. Plenty of picks to offer and maybe they can include Dumba, opposed to losing him to Seattle.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:37 PM   #13316
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Have Eichel and Gaudreau ever played on the same team? Obviously, I mean either before turning pro or in international tournaments.
Twice from what I could see.

Team North America at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey
Team USA at the 2019 World Men's Championship
Old 06-11-2021, 01:57 PM   #13317
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I also think Minnesota might come strong. Plenty of picks to offer and maybe they can include Dumba, opposed to losing him to Seattle.
Yes I have heard their name in the mix. What else do they offer outside of Dumba? If Rossi is on the table along with Dumba that is a strong offer but not stronger than Tkachuk+12

I really feel like Treliving is closing a deal this offseason. He has no choice
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 02:04 PM   #13318
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Tkachuk + 12th seems like too much for Eichel if he isn’t guaranteed to return back to 100% form.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Niemo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 02:04 PM   #13319
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You say the Flames package is going to be mostly roster players and then complain that they’d be giving away picks and prospects.

I’m not convinced Buffalo wants to centre a trade around picks and prospects.
Kinda have to agree with you on this one. I think at this point after missing the playoffs for a decade, buffalo is going to want established roster players. I don't see LA being a good trade partner, Byfield does nothing for Buffalo right now. I can't see the Rangers even remotely wanting to trade Lafreniere, he is just too good and young. The big issue with Eichel is his health, for alot of rebuilding teams, do you really want to give up prized young players for such a big risk. Alot of the more established veteran playoff teams already have much older star players, which again is something I don't think Buffalo wants.

Logically Calgary is one of the few teams where the two teams make good trade partners, Calgary has the young established stars (Tkachuk) that Buffalo would want and with Calgary in dire need of a core makeover, what do they have to lose at this point. I could easily see these two teams completing this block buster.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:06 PM   #13320
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemo View Post
Tkachuk + 12th seems like too much for Eichel if he isn’t guaranteed to return back to 100% form.
Trade down from 12 to 18 and pick up a 3rd
Trade down from 18 to 24 and pick up another 3rd
Trade Tkachuk+24 for Eichel
Profit.
Closed Thread