Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 08:43 AM   #13261
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesgod View Post
Neither has anybody on the Flames roster.
Well yeah, that’s my point. The Flames don’t have enough talent. But most of the high-end talent the team has had over the last several years has not shown the ability to elevate in big games or play the way you need to (just as hard without the puck as with it) in order to have success in the playoffs. Eichel would be an injection of talent, but not of the other qualities this core has lacked.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:48 AM   #13262
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

After watching the Colorado vs. Vegas series, it's clear that Colorado really needs someone like Giordano or Tanev.

A top 4 veteran presence on the back end. Someone more defensive.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:49 AM   #13263
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess for me it comes down to this:
- #1 centres rarely come on the market
- Young ones are even more rare
- What's at risk for the Flames? If this doesn't work are they in a worse situation? Perhaps but perhaps then it drags them into an actual proper re-build.

I don't think Eichel solves everything but in my view he's a top 10 talent. So if you can buy low on him, depending on price, do it. It's not like the current roster is doing anything.

At bare minimum it would inject some badly needed excitement. And an Eichel/McDavid interdivisional rivalry could be pretty neat.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:50 AM   #13264
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
After watching the Colorado vs. Vegas series, it's clear that Colorado really needs someone like Giordano or Tanev.

A top 4 veteran presence on the back end. Someone more defensive.
Their defence cost them the series. But their d is young and getting better. They also are about to go into cap hell. Unless we take back guys like burakovsky in the deal?
Old 06-11-2021, 08:54 AM   #13265
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
- What's at risk for the Flames? If this doesn't work are they in a worse situation? Perhaps but perhaps then it drags them into an actual proper re-build.

I don't think Eichel solves everything but in my view he's a top 10 talent. So if you can buy low on him, depending on price, do it. It's not like the current roster is doing anything.

At bare minimum it would inject some badly needed excitement. And an Eichel/McDavid interdivisional rivalry could be pretty neat.

Yup, I would love if the Flames added Eichel but I think in general he is pulling less in a trade than people expect. Risky injury and him and the Sabres are in a bad spot relationship wise. I'd still send Tkachuk the other way but I don't think it needs to be Tkachuk, Hanifin, ++.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:57 AM   #13266
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Yup, I would love if the Flames added Eichel but I think in general he is pulling less in a trade than people expect. Risky injury and him and the Sabres are in a bad spot relationship wise. I'd still send Tkachuk the other way but I don't think it needs to be Tkachuk, Hanifin, ++.
Agreed you don't gut the team to do it. That's pointless.
Comes down to acquisition cost which I have no idea what that will be.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:58 AM   #13267
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with this. I just cringe when I read Monahan+Hanifin packages going for Eichel I wish but it won’t happen. The Flames need to have Tkachuk on the table if they want to be in the Eichel talks but I agree I am not sure how many ++ are required.

I used to think it would be Tkachuk+12OA+Zary at minimum but I am not sure it will cost both of those +

Tkachuk + 12th overall seems like a fair deal
Old 06-11-2021, 09:00 AM   #13268
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally I would vastly prefer something like Tkachuk+Valimaki to Tkachuk + 12th. Buffalo may as well.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:03 AM   #13269
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Personally I would vastly prefer something like Tkachuk+Valimaki to Tkachuk + 12th. Buffalo may as well.
If the Flames lose Gio in expansion that will be tough to also give up Valimaki. If they keep Gio and say lose Backlund then I am on the same page as you for at least next season with Gio, Hanifin, Mackey on the left side.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:04 AM   #13270
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hanifin has one of the best contracts on the team. He’s also still on an upward trajectory IMO. He’s one of the last players I’d trade. Tkachuk is good and also has some ceiling left but his contact demands are going to be steep so him I don’t mind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 09:14 AM   #13271
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

People keep saying "what's the risk " when getting Eichel. That's only true if they get him for free, and they won't...its going to cost assets...lots of assets. Everyone is guessing at what other teams would give up and are guessing mostly futures but most any Flames package is mostly roster players and that's because the Flames have next to nothing when it comes to prospects. Giving up picks and prospects will make our already depleted prospect pool even worse. Even if Eichel makes this team a playoff team, they won't have any prospects coming up to improve the team and Treliving will just hand out more bad UFA contracts.

This team is more than 1 player away and giving up futures will only keep this team average for even longer...and that's if Eichel works out. If he's still injured and doesn't improve or can't even match his career stats, it could be even worse.

The team needs to start collecting picks and prospects, not giving more of them away.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:17 AM   #13272
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
People keep saying "what's the risk " when getting Eichel. That's only true if they get him for free, and they won't...its going to cost assets...lots of assets. Everyone is guessing at what other teams would give up and are guessing mostly futures but most any Flames package is mostly roster players and that's because the Flames have next to nothing when it comes to prospects. Giving up picks and prospects will make our already depleted prospect pool even worse. Even if Eichel makes this team a playoff team, they won't have any prospects coming up to improve the team and Treliving will just hand out more bad UFA contracts.

This team is more than 1 player away and giving up futures will only keep this team average for even longer...and that's if Eichel works out. If he's still injured and doesn't improve or can't even match his career stats, it could be even worse.

The team needs to start collecting picks and prospects, not giving more of them away.
You say the Flames package is going to be mostly roster players and then complain that they’d be giving away picks and prospects.

I’m not convinced Buffalo wants to centre a trade around picks and prospects.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:19 AM   #13273
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think you have to give up on a rebuild or you will be disappointed. The hires and messaging have basically confirmed a retool at best. If they get Eichel at a reasonable cost that bumps them to a real playoff team if he bounces back. If he sucks then it sinks them down further and can force more of a rebuild.

I would not want the Flames to give up a 22 or 23 first.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:22 AM   #13274
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

People say “what’s the risk?” Because they understand the reality of the situation. We all know you want a blow up, tear down rebuild. I think many people on this forum agree with that approach but I think we all know without a shadow of a doubt that this team will not be taking that path.

So knowing the game plan is to push forward and try to win there is really no risk in trying to trade for the very best player that is on the trade market who fills an immediate need. Tkachuk could be a super enticing piece for Buffalo so there is some merit to thinking a deal could be made.

Depending on what other moves are made I think a team that is built with Eichel, Gaudreau, Lindholm, Mangiapane, Monahan, Dube upfront and Hanifin, Andersson, Tanev on the blueline with Markstrom in net and Sutter behind the bench could absolutely be a contender.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 09:33 AM   #13275
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You say the Flames package is going to be mostly roster players and then complain that they’d be giving away picks and prospects.

I’m not convinced Buffalo wants to centre a trade around picks and prospects.
They are picking 1st overall once again this season and Cozens is soon to graduate. I get the feeling the Sabres would be prioritizing established players that are in their 20's to supplement their young prospects.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 09:33 AM   #13276
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I think Tkachuk + 1st 2021 and one of Dube or Phillip's makes sense.

But maybe we through in a 2nd the next draft possibly.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:38 AM   #13277
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
They are picking 1st overall once again this season and Cozens is soon to graduate. I get the feeling the Sabres would be prioritizing established players that are in their 20's to supplement their young prospects.
This is why I feel they would rather have Tkachuk+Valimaki. And this way calgary mitigates a bit of future risk; we have extra LD assets because of Mackey looking good and Kuzy signing. We should keep our picks in case Eichel doesn't work out- and this year there's a reasonable chance we could still score a homerun with pick 13 (12)
Old 06-11-2021, 09:47 AM   #13278
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I agree with this. I just cringe when I read Monahan+Hanifin packages going for Eichel I wish but it won’t happen. The Flames need to have Tkachuk on the table if they want to be in the Eichel talks but I agree I am not sure how many ++ are required.

I used to think it would be Tkachuk+12OA+Zary at minimum but I am not sure it will cost both of those +

Tkachuk + 12th overall seems like a fair deal
I don’t mind this, but I have to wonder what the Sabres think. They already have one $9M LW, do they need two? If they can miraculously find a taker for Skinner, then maybe Tkachuk is more appealing, but I still wonder if the Glsmes have the horses to pull this off short of sending some high value contracts the other way (Lindholm and/or Hanafin).

I’m all in favour of pursuing Eichel, but I think it’s going to lead to some deep cuts. Wouldn’t surprise me if Mangiapane is on the table for example.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:50 AM   #13279
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post

The big issue for me is does Eichel want to come to Calgary. If Eichel expresses any interest in coming here, we should throw the kitchen sink at him.

The Flames are in a position they haven't been in, in a very long time. They have a large amount of moveable and valuable assets. The drafting has been great lately. Even the trades have been great. Moving Hamilton/Fox, who both did not want to be here, for Lindholm/Hanifin was brilliant IMO. The Flames are in a position where they can give up guys like Tkachuk, Zary, and a 1st and still walk away with a deep team that is better.

The Flames have the assets to get this done, and they should be pushing for Eichel.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:57 AM   #13280
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The big issue for me is does Eichel want to come to Calgary. If Eichel expresses any interest in coming here, we should throw the kitchen sink at him.

The Flames are in a position they haven't been in, in a very long time. They have a large amount of moveable and valuable assets. The drafting has been great lately. Even the trades have been great. Moving Hamilton/Fox, who both did not want to be here, for Lindholm/Hanifin was brilliant IMO. The Flames are in a position where they can give up guys like Tkachuk, Zary, and a 1st and still walk away with a deep team that is better.

The Flames have the assets to get this done, and they should be pushing for Eichel.
Whether or not Eichel wants to come to Calgary is secondary, I think. He has all but asked for a trade and has no trade protection at this point in time. He has to accept the Sabres are going to make the best deal for the Sabres. He is not is a position to say 'send me to New York, or Boston, or Philadelphia'.

That said, I could see Calgary being a good spot for him. There is an upside to the team, solid ownership, management, and many of the players here (at least publicly) say they like it here. Probably doesn't hurt that there are a handful of American players on the roster making solid contributions. Calgary may not be his first choice, but it probably isn't his last.
Closed Thread