Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-26-2020, 11:28 PM   #41
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
that's a pretty weird take from somebody like you (Pepsi) and after reading everything you'd posted about in the off topic forum.

Wouldn't canceling the games / season in / of itself effectively be a protest or a form of protest? What was the point of the NBA teams canceling their seasons tonight?
To get the point across to the owners that action needs to take place. Like I said in my previous post, the owners are some of the wealthiest and most influential people in their region, state and country. No games equals no money, and if that happens I'm sure the owners will start to take notice.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 11:34 PM   #42
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
that's a pretty weird take from somebody like you (Pepsi) and after reading everything you'd posted about in the off topic forum.

Wouldn't canceling the games / season in / of itself effectively be a protest or a form of protest? What was the point of the NBA teams canceling their seasons tonight?
For me it’s about positions of power, and (unfortunately) thanks to my job I know all too well about businesses leveraging social movements to portray a certain “we care” image, without ever doing something of substance.

I’m 100% for protesting. For most people, that’s one of the few things they can do to enact change (aside from voting, which is obviously more important). For large, wealthy corporations, though, there needs to be more than posturing and protesting. If the issue is important to you as a business, or as employees/players/whatever, it should go beyond a few cancelled games or a moment.

Personally, I saw the manufactured moment at the beginning of the qualifiers and I cringed a bit, because I saw the branding that went into it, the careful positioning of players, it was a made for TV moment. I don’t doubt that for some of the guys their heart is in it, but it couldn’t just be authentic, it had to sell something. And that bothers me.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:34 PM   #43
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

uhhh yeah so we agree then? I was responding to Pepsi. Who for some super weird reason doesn't see the point... after days upon days extolling the opposite type of view in the other thread.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:36 PM   #44
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

so if they do cancel the games in protest, it won't be authentic but if they don't, they won't have done anything? I don't disagree they couldn't do more, but I think you're being a little unfair here. If they cancel the rest of the season, after everything they've done to get here... I'm sorry but that is a massive move in solidarity with the movement and in protest.

Businesses can protest too. I understand the cynicism but it's pretty unfair to not think their hearts and minds aren't in the right place and if pro sports altogether do this, or the NHL doing this influences other sports, it can possibly make a difference and that's kind of what matters doesn't it?>

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 08-26-2020 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 11:38 PM   #45
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
For me it’s about positions of power, and (unfortunately) thanks to my job I know all too well about businesses leveraging social movements to portray a certain “we care” image, without ever doing something of substance.

I’m 100% for protesting. For most people, that’s one of the few things they can do to enact change (aside from voting, which is obviously more important). For large, wealthy corporations, though, there needs to be more than posturing and protesting. If the issue is important to you as a business, or as employees/players/whatever, it should go beyond a few cancelled games or a moment.

Personally, I saw the manufactured moment at the beginning of the qualifiers and I cringed a bit, because I saw the branding that went into it, the careful positioning of players, it was a made for TV moment. I don’t doubt that for some of the guys their heart is in it, but it couldn’t just be authentic, it had to sell something. And that bothers me.
Damn, based on your previous opinions, I thought it was all about luck and bounces.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:38 PM   #46
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Cancelling games is maybe half the equation. You want to cancel games to draw attention? Great, what are you going to do with that attention? The NHL had their little moment at the beginning of the qualifying round... but what since then? What have they done? What’s changed? Was that it?

I’m not sure if they’ll cancel games, I’m leaning towards no, but if they do, I want to know what they’re actually doing about the issue, outside of selling some t-shirts.
What exactly is the other half of the equation the NHL is supposed to be doing?

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:44 PM   #47
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
so if they do cancel the games in protest, it won't be authentic but if they don't, they won't have done anything?
Not at all. Cancel the games. If it’s authentic, they have the financial means and power to go beyond the symbolic gesture. Not everyone does, but they do, so use the power for something.

But cancelling a few games and then going back to business as usual without doing anything else (which is too often the case)? Yeah, you might as well have done nothing.

I get that slacktivism feels good, but that’s about it.

EDIT: Saw your edit to the post. I will say - if they cancel the rest of the playoffs, that’s a much bigger statement than just cancelling a day’s worth of games and continuing on.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 11:45 PM   #48
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What is going on. Why is boycotting happening/what are people offended about now?

Sorry I live under a boulder (and on purpose).
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:55 PM   #49
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
What is going on. Why is boycotting happening/what are people offended about now?

Sorry I live under a boulder (and on purpose).
Well basically there is quasi state sanctioned terrorism going on in the US and it’s racially targeted and in the form of murder. So, it’s getting on some people’s nerves I guess.
Old 08-26-2020, 11:55 PM   #50
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

This feels like the days before the covid shutdown

I would be sweating bullets if the Flames were still alive and kicking
Old 08-27-2020, 12:25 AM   #51
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont know. Every other active league shut down games except the NHL. For me it was an opportunity to act in unity with all professional athletes. A major missed opportunity for everyone trying to strengthen the NHL brand in the U.S. instead we got the whitest league in pro sports giving a half hearted moment of silence.

Like one ESPN analyst said, if it was just the Bucks protesting it wouldn't work. But ALL NBA teams boycotted. Amd baseball followed suit. And the NHL? C'mon. If they went on and boycotted their games it would have been far more powerful a statement with all major leagues saying no, this has to stop.

And we wonder why the NHL isn't really seen as any sort of major sports league in the U.S by their major media outlets. Its because of moments like these where they could have full well boycotted the games for today, not skipped a beat in their scheduling (they're 3 days ahead). And showed support the same way everyone else did.

Anywho, I'm with Kelly Hrudey on this one. Major missed opportunity.

Last edited by dammage79; 08-27-2020 at 12:28 AM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 12:30 AM   #52
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would be fine with it if the players decided to do it, I would though understand why a predominantly white group of 20 ish mostly Canadian guys didnt relate to it as an issue as much and just went through the appropriate PR motions of taking a knee
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:48 AM   #53
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I dont know. Every other active league shut down games except the NHL. For me it was an opportunity to act in unity with all professional athletes. A major missed opportunity for everyone trying to strengthen the NHL brand in the U.S. instead we got the whitest league in pro sports giving a half hearted moment of silence.

Like one ESPN analyst said, if it was just the Bucks protesting it wouldn't work. But ALL NBA teams boycotted. Amd baseball followed suit. And the NHL? C'mon. If they went on and boycotted their games it would have been far more powerful a statement with all major leagues saying no, this has to stop.

And we wonder why the NHL isn't really seen as any sort of major sports league in the U.S by their major media outlets. Its because of moments like these where they could have full well boycotted the games for today, not skipped a beat in their scheduling (they're 3 days ahead). And showed support the same way everyone else did.

Anywho, I'm with Kelly Hrudey on this one. Major missed opportunity.

Few corrections.

No leagues shut down, not willingly. NBA players, black guys mostly, walked out as a form of protest and racial solidarity. The league had no choice and I guarantee aren’t happy.

Also, only 2 NBA teams actually want to boycott. The rest voted to keep playing.

See because they actually want to stop playing altogether, not take a day off as some lame show of support. They have a real agenda, put pressure on the league and owners to effect change and make meaningful contributions to their cause.

The NHL has no cause. A day off is just a day off and doesn’t actually do anything.

It’s actually insulting to me that the media is trying to spin this narrative that the NHL missed an opportunity.

What the media means to say is they blame the white NHLers for not feeling exactly the same as black NBA players, which is obviously beyond idiotic.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 08-27-2020 at 12:52 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 01:00 AM   #54
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I would be fine with it if the players decided to do it, I would though understand why a predominantly white group of 20 ish mostly Canadian guys didnt relate to it as an issue as much and just went through the appropriate PR motions of taking a knee
And that in itself is the problem. A lot of people are of the mindset that "if it doesn't apply to me then I don't care, business as usual". Racism is a global issue, maybe more predominant in other countries but nonetheless still an issue, and yes still an issue in Canada. The only way to move forward and begin to take action against it is if we all take action against it, not just a certain demographic.

Like a previous poster stated, it would have been a strong show of solidarity in the least, against an issue that needs solidarity in the first place for any positive change to occur.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:19 AM   #55
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think who does and doesn't choose to boycott is the real story. Good on you if that is the path you choose, and if not I won't judge.

What concerns me most is that all the negative comments I see about the boycott are coming from the same people upset about the violence, burning and looting, that is happening in the BLM protests.

People lose their #### and scream why cant these people protest peacefully, then when someone chooses a peaceful protest, a knee or a boycott, they throw them under the bus!

It's just insane. The fact is there is a good portion of the population who just does not want to hear about the issue and doesn't want to do anything about it. Or worse, as I am seeing by the reactions to a 17 yr old armed with an AR and shooting people at a protest, they actually want this chaos and they are ok with people being shot by police on a regular basis.

We need to dig deep and see that this is a messed up situation and the solutions are way below the surface and are going to take a generation or two to change.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 01:19 AM   #56
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This should be in the Off Topic forum.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 08-27-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:16 AM   #57
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
Lol, the guy's not even dead. I'll be pissed if the NHL skips a day over this nonsense.
You are an absolutely disgusting human being.

To respond with "lol" to a father who is now paralyzed and had his organs blown out... I can't help but wish nothing but the worst for you in your life.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:35 AM   #58
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
No because then the players would be losing money...let me know when Lebron forfeits his 40M. Actually that money could do a lot of good
Yes it is the black superstars fault that white cops are on a shooting spree and some random white Trump supporter shot up some peaceful protesters.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 04:58 AM   #59
mister__big
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There’s a lot that’s been said here about this matter so I won’t repeat them.

I think the idea of “why aren’t NHL players following suit” needs to be addressed. Why can’t NHL players make their own decision as to whether they want to play or not? They have sacrificed to be away from their families and to tell them “you should stop playing and let your time away from your family be in vain because that’s what the NBA players are doing” is just disrespectful and ridiculous. They are grown men, let them make their own decisions about their own lives.
mister__big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:09 AM   #60
loob job
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If they boycott and don't play, people will talk about it for about two days, nothing will change and within a week no one will be talking about it and life will be going on as normal until the next time a black kid gets shot by the police. Sports not playing isn't going to change anything. Government needs to change things. Weirdest quote i heard yesterday was an nba player saying "Kneeling for the anthem hasn't done anything so we need to do something else".
Do they really think a white cop in wisconsin when dealing with a person is thinking about an nba player kneeling?

Last edited by loob job; 08-27-2020 at 06:11 AM.
loob job is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loob job For This Useful Post:

Tags
black lives matter , boycott , politics