Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 07:38 PM   #13361
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
They have a Barzal, we do not. At the end of the day, the team can buy in with the right coach - but if you don't have the skill, you still don't get the reuslts.
Well, Barzal is a fine player, but the Isles are successful because of their team game and attention to detail more than star power.

If you replaced Barzal with an average NHL player I'm not convinced the Isles would be dramatically worse.

I watched all of the Vegas Colorado series, and one thing that really struck me was that Vegas isn't an ultra-talented team. They have a couple of elite players and world-class goaltending, but they win by playing a specific style of team game, and having good depth.
Islanders are very similar in that way.
The Following User Says Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 07:45 PM   #13362
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Those two offers really aren't that different. I think you are vastly underrating Valimaki's value.
Yes.
And he's also underrating Tkachuk and the 12th overall pick, lol.
That's an amazing package. Not saying it wouldn't necessarily take that to land Eichel, but when was the last time a package as good as Tkachuk, Valimaki and a 12th OA been traded?
Old 06-11-2021, 07:48 PM   #13363
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Yes.
That's an amazing package. Not saying it wouldn't necessarily take that to land Eichel, but when was the last time a package as good as Tkachuk, Valimaki and a 12th OA been traded?
He is also a Canucks fan lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 08:20 PM   #13364
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes.

That is a spectacular package and likely better than what Eichel will go for IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 08:59 PM   #13365
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Man if the flames landed Eichel and then turned around and signed T.Hall and at a discount I’d laugh so hard. Literally a dream off-season that suddenly is starting to seem and sound slightly less absurd... the anger that would come from the oiler fans would be amazing.
Unless Lucic, Backlund, or Giordano disappear from the roster and create some cap space, Taylor Hall can’t fit here. Not without having zero depth on the lower lines.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:00 PM   #13366
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is Tkachuk staying in BUF a second longer than he has to? I know BUF could flip him at his last TDL, but that comes with risk of injury.

BUF needs to fix goaltending and RD. Their forwards are a mess, too, but they can pin some hopes on Cozens, Mittelstadt, Olofsson, and Jack Quinn.

Move out Reinhart and Ristolainen to further re-tool. Reinhart would probably land a goalie like Korpisalo (1 year to UFA), but they really need stability and a stud RD to help Dahlin/Power reach their potential.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:00 PM   #13367
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Unless Lucic, Backlund, or Giordano disappear from the roster and create some cap space, Taylor Hall can’t fit here. Not without having zero depth on the lower lines.
Gio is gone in the expansion draft IMO and I could see Hall signing for just a shade over the 6.75 cap of Gio. Again all this talk and all these things aligning is no doubt a unicorn type thing... but it’s fun to dream.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:14 PM   #13368
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I think the ultimate threat for this team is indefinite mediocrity. Acquiring Eichel is risky, but it's actually less risky than continuing as is.

Barring a huge trade or a complete rebuild, the mediocrity is likely to continue. There will be good years and bad years, but overall the team would remain mediocre.

If you get Eichel and it completely backfires, worst case scenario is that you do a complete rebuild. That's still better than mediocrity. Anything is better than mediocrity.
I am with you on disdain for mediocrity. I guess I’m just in disagreement that this team is better than lottery pick bad. If we don’t add to the team as it stands, I think it’s a bottom 10 roster. So why are we adding to that vs continue the course?
The Following User Says Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 09:27 PM   #13369
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

When going for Eichel, Tkachuk > Hanifin > Monahan > Valimaki when it comes to value, so I would think that you can either package Tkachuk and Valimaki or Monahan and Hanifin for Eichel, plus a 2021 or 2022 first attached to the two pieces (2022 first would need to be top 10 protected). If it's Tkachuk and Monahan, then I don't think we have to really add a 1st. Maybe a conditional 2nd that turns into a 1st if we make the playoffs but that's about it. Tkachuk is already a very valuable piece.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:51 PM   #13370
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Tkachuk, Monahan + for Eichel and Skinner?
Old 06-11-2021, 09:56 PM   #13371
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Tkachuk, Monahan + for Eichel and Skinner?
Gross
Old 06-11-2021, 09:58 PM   #13372
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, Barzal is a fine player, but the Isles are successful because of their team game and attention to detail more than star power.

If you replaced Barzal with an average NHL player I'm not convinced the Isles would be dramatically worse.

I watched all of the Vegas Colorado series, and one thing that really struck me was that Vegas isn't an ultra-talented team. They have a couple of elite players and world-class goaltending, but they win by playing a specific style of team game, and having good depth.
Islanders are very similar in that way.
Vegas is crazy talented. Top to bottom there may not be a team with more talent outside Tampa.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:06 PM   #13373
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Gross
I know but that was my point. Eat a ####ty contract to help get the deal done.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:09 PM   #13374
GS Skier
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I agree with most of you said, but I think people get confused with Matthew Tkachuk. He’s clearly not fast, but he compensates by being really strong with the puck and I think that’s almost equally as important as being quick like Gaudreau. I think Tkachuk has the hockey IQ and elite play below the hashmarks to be a play driver. He can drive the cycle game and that’s an element the team would miss without him.
Of course we'd miss the guy however Mange and Dube are pretty good at cycling the puck too.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:10 PM   #13375
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Gio is gone in the expansion draft IMO and I could see Hall signing for just a shade over the 6.75 cap of Gio. Again all this talk and all these things aligning is no doubt a unicorn type thing... but it’s fun to dream.
As I continue to hear more and more Darryl Sutter quotes, the more I’m convinced Gio stays. Based on the usage, the comments Darryl made during the season and at the end of the season, I just can’t imagine Sutter being ok with icing Chris Tanev and a pile of under 25 defensemen. He practically blamed the failed season on the young defensemen on the team. These are not the types of responses or actions from a man who wants to see his top defenseman lost to Seattle.

I actually can foresee a pairing of Gio-Tanev as the #1 pair next season with Gio leading the team in average ice time. That’s my prediction. Might not be a popular opinion here, but the evidence seems to lean that direction.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 10:11 PM   #13376
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know but that was my point. Eat a ####ty contract to help get the deal done.
So why would we want to eat the *****iest contract in the league?
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 10:12 PM   #13377
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

To get Eichel, silly.

Just throwing out the idea.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:12 PM   #13378
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Skier View Post
Of course we'd miss the guy however Mange and Dube are pretty good at cycling the puck too.
Mange, yes. But Dube? I don’t think so. He played most of his season with Tkachuk and Lindholm and they looked awful as the first line. So many one and dones. Once Gaudreau took over Dube’s spot, that line thrived.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:15 PM   #13379
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Vegas is crazy talented. Top to bottom there may not be a team with more talent outside Tampa.
Disagree.
Colorado has more high-end to elite talent for sure. Carolina and Florida also come to mind.
Toronto's big 4 is a very good group.

If you want to talk elite talent, Vegas has Stone, Pietrangelo...anyone else?
What Vegas does have is a lot of depth and quality players through the lineup. They have size and can skate.
Great team, no doubt, but in my mind they are the counterpoint to the argument that you need to be loaded with elite talent to win.
But then again, they haven't won anything yet, and obviously haven't faced the Lightning, so we shall see.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:16 PM   #13380
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To get Eichel, silly.

Just throwing out the idea.
It's just a recipe for disaster. If I wanted to pay 9m to a winger, then it would be Gaudreau or Tkachuk, not Skinner.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread