Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-03-2015, 03:58 PM   #101
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Killam needs to go. He seems unable to instill discipline in the special teams nor win the battle against the opponent's teams. A touchdown punt return against, a blocked field goal, and a fumble recovery negated due to yet another penalty. Oh yah, and an unnecessary roughness penalty that moved Hamilton from inside their 20 to over the 30 when the game was in the balance. Just terrible.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

No question. I am rarely that guy who calls for coach firings etc, because I realize how much I don't know about what happens at practice/meetings/etc as to why certain guys aren't let go when to the outside it seems so obvious to the laymen.

But this has been an ongoing problem with Hufnagel teams for some time now and its truly indicative of one glaring weak spot. Coaching. Now some of this has to fall on Huf as well, afterall he is the guy making the decision to keep Killam around and loyalty to his guys is one thing I love about Huf. However, considering how good and consistent all the other areas of the team have been for years now, its obvious who/what the weak link is.

Killam seems like a good guy and a hard worker and all that stuff, but the truth is his ability to build a decent scheme and get it executed in all facets of the special teams is questionable at best and truly abysmal at worst.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:31 PM   #102
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
No question. I am rarely that guy who calls for coach firings etc, because I realize how much I don't know about what happens at practice/meetings/etc as to why certain guys aren't let go when to the outside it seems so obvious to the laymen.

But this has been an ongoing problem with Hufnagel teams for some time now and its truly indicative of one glaring weak spot. Coaching. Now some of this has to fall on Huf as well, afterall he is the guy making the decision to keep Killam around and loyalty to his guys is one thing I love about Huf. However, considering how good and consistent all the other areas of the team have been for years now, its obvious who/what the weak link is.

Killam seems like a good guy and a hard worker and all that stuff, but the truth is his ability to build a decent scheme and get it executed in all facets of the special teams is questionable at best and truly abysmal at worst.
I think the only reason why Killam is still coaching the Stamps' special team is because the Stamps are winning this season. If Stamps keeps losing because of special team most of the time. I've been saying this in almost every game that our special team is the Stamps weakest link. At least 90% of a good return by Tim Brown or whoever gets called back because of the stupid holding or illegal block penalty. Maver's punt gets blocked a lot more this season because the protection's breakdown. Coverage is not as aggressive this season for some reason. The last few seasons it's tough for returner to get good gains. This season they must have given up at least 5 TDs in returns.

Skye Dawson started slow but came strong late in the game. Hopefully he'll get better as game goes on.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:25 AM   #103
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't forget the rule changes this year. Few injuries as well that have promoted backups and new guys playing STs. I'm not a Kilam fan but unless he leaves on his own I doubt he's going anywhere. Huff doesn't fire his coaches.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calgary , dawson , hamilton , stamps , tiger cats