Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 08-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #21
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could someone PM the names of those who were lost the last couple days? I may know them and/or siblings they may have.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #22
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
for the Aug 2nd, the article says the driver was thrown from the vehicle. How is that possible with seat belts and air bags these days?
How is it possible? They weren't smart enough to actually wear their seatbelts properly. People end up thinking that they're unique and that nothing could possibly happen to them. It usually ends up costing them dearly when the cost is collected. Be smart people. You could end up saving your life.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #23
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Could someone PM the names of those who were lost the last couple days? I may know them and/or siblings they may have.
They are mentioned on the OP's first link (the petition one).
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #24
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Twinning Highway 8 is already planned. I also think the circumstances of recent accidents aren't helping the cause of speeding up the construction. I know the loss of life is tragic, especially for people so young, but contributing factors (distracted driving) need to be taken into consideration.

Quote:
Highway 8
  • Long term planning study was undertaken to determine the ultimate twinning and access management requirements.
  • Long term planning study was undertaken to determine the ultimate interchange requirements at 149 Street.
  • Design is underway for the twinning of 16.5 kms of Highway 8 from Highway 22 to 101 Street SW at the Calgary City Limit.
http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...s/calgary.aspx
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #25
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
How is it possible? They weren't smart enough to actually wear their seatbelts properly. People end up thinking that they're unique and that nothing could possibly happen to them. It usually ends up costing them dearly when the cost is collected. Be smart people. You could end up saving your life.
basically what I was saying. The question was rhetorical
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #26
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

my bad...sorry.

Me and my family were by the scene just after it happened and had to detour around the scene.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT

Last edited by Fozzie_DeBear; 08-03-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #27
Baaarrden
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
Not saying that its what happened here...but sometimes people don't wear their seatbelts because they are trying to commit suicide and are planning to crash their vehicles.
I've trying to think of a reason why you might have posted this in here, and I honestly can't think of anything. Just because you say "not saying that its what happened here" doesn't make it any more appropriate that you would even suggest that idea here. I knew the guy well enough to know that he was good intentioned in whatever he did, he made an obvious mistake by not putting his seatbelt on and he paid the ultimate price for it, so please don't come in here even jokingly suggesting that he may have made that choice with the intention of committing suicide.
Baaarrden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #28
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixon45 View Post
if you are driving within the roads limitations as well as yours, that the highway is very manageable.
Exactly. Twinning a highway won't save anyone from texting while driving or not wearing a seatbelt.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #29
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's a bad stretch of road for sure but any single lane HWY with intersections are bad and people need to pay attention to the road instead of social media on superphones while driving! Not saying that exactly what happened here but it is a problem especially with the younger people.

6 months ago I saw a young girl miss a light pole by a few feet in a snowstorm on stoney trail, her car was stuck so I drove her home, on the way I noticed her text a friend saying "sorry I had a little accident".

My parting words were, your welcome but young lady..but that wasn't a little accident, you were 2 feet from never talking let alone texting again, shut your phone off when driving, you got your first chance,most don't..I don't want to see your obituary.

I hope it scared the crap out of her.

My opinion is these phones shouldn't allowing texting while moving...simular to Nav systems in cars.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #30
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
My opinion is these phones shouldn't allowing texting while moving...simular to Nav systems in cars.
While I agree with you that distracted driving is a problem- I can't see that being realistic. There would be no way for the phone to know if you were driving or the passenger; or even riding on a bus.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #31
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Exactly. Twinning a highway won't save anyone from texting while driving or not wearing a seatbelt.
Stops them from veering into oncoming Semi's though....

That whole highway is terrible given the volume of semi haulers using it to avoid the city. Add in all the commuter traffic nowadays, and you've got the current recipe for disaster.

Glad to see the AB gov't has already been at work planning the twinning to the city limits, hopefully the city is doing the same thing.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #32
emti
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Twinning may not be the necessary answer, but atleast putting a baricade down the middle or seperating the 2 lanes would sure help a hell of alot.

I graduated with both of these guys. Dustin Peers was July 31st and Chase Hudye was August 2nd.
emti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #33
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be awesome to twin all these dangerous roads, but at the end of the day people need to drive more prudently.....
Old 08-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #34
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emti View Post
Twinning may not be the necessary answer, but atleast putting a baricade down the middle or seperating the 2 lanes would sure help a hell of alot.
What I don't understand is Alberta's (Canada's) aversion to a doule lane highway with a barricade in the middle. Takes a lot less space than our traditional divided highways. Half the single lane highways could almost be converted to this, given the size of the shoulders.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #35
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
There would be no way for the phone to know if you were driving or the passenger; or even riding on a bus.
I think even I could design an app or program to stop texting during movement. How about say who cares if your a passenger or not....is texting so important that it can't wait until your stopped?
Old 08-04-2012, 12:00 AM   #36
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not just cell phones....cars themselves are packing way too much entertainment tech these days. Looking at one of the photos, the guy was driving a new Ford Focus. Ford's these days are packed with My Ford touch that allows you to do a ton of stuff via the screen. It's extremely distractive.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #37
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
It's not just cell phones....cars themselves are packing way too much entertainment tech these days. Looking at one of the photos, the guy was driving a new Ford Focus. Ford's these days are packed with My Ford touch that allows you to do a ton of stuff via the screen. It's extremely distractive.
That's a weak argument. My liqour cabinet is usually fairly full, but I don't grab a drink every time I walk by it. Insert any other bad example you want, but the point is: you don't have to use the fancy Ford touch screen while driving just because it's there. Same as you have the choice to leave the phone in your pocket while you are driving. Self restraint dude. Please don't try to blame car manufacturers for giving us too many features.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #38
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
I think even I could design an app or program to stop texting during movement. How about say who cares if your a passenger or not....is texting so important that it can't wait until your stopped?
I'm not saying that the software would be hard to write- I agree it should be easy. However one of the reasons I often take the bus to work is I can use that time to catch up on emails. Just because some people are unable to follow the laws that are in place, everybody should have to do without?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #39
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I have it in my Edge, you don't have to touch anything, it's all voice controlled.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #40
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

While I agree that twinning the highway won't stop people from texting while driving, it's not about those that are driving distracted. It's really about protecting other drivers who are completely powerless to stop an oncoming car from swerving into their lane for no reason. What happened this past week on HWY 8 was tragic. Two promising lives snuffed out in an instant. I can't imagine how much more tragic it would have been had they hit another car carrying multiple occupants instead of semi trailers.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:

Tags
alberta , calgary , highway 8 , rest in peace , twin