Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2010, 09:13 AM   #1
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default PS3 Media Server discussion

I recently picked up a PS3 and was wondering what people are using for a media server?

(note: I am pulling this from a question I asked in another thread: http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...49#post2359849 )
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here are the responses from the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Con-Roy! View Post
I am using Rivet, works for both PS3 and Xbox 360. Seems to work well, but does cost 20 bucks or something.

I tryed ps3 media server, but Rivet is much cleaner and better organized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEleven View Post
I use mediatomb from my Linux box. Works great. It's UPnP so you can also stream to VLC on a laptop with it.
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 02-26-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

HAs anyone set up a NAS with any of these? I'm thinking something like a dlink-323.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 02-26-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I use Vuse since its part of a torrent application as well and ps3 media server both seem to work great. ps3 media server can stream mkv hd files so its real handy and picture looks great. I wish my computer was better and could stream it fast enough without having it skip
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

PS3 Media Server is the way to go imo. Sorry I don't really have time to expand on that, but I've tried a few and PS3MP wins easily.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I gave up on streaming after trying several of the options listed here and found BluRay rips to be unwatchable on them. Now I split the file, create a playlist for files and download them to an external hard drive plugged in to the PS3.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
HAs anyone set up a NAS with any of these? I'm thinking something like a dlink-323.
I can't answer your question directly because we have a DNS-323 at work and my PS3 is at home.

But... what I can tell you is that the DND-323 has an option to enable a UPnP server. Here's what the admin interface says about it:

Quote:
UPnP AV SERVER SETTINGS : This section allows you to configure the UPnP AV server function. You can enable or disable the UPnP AV server function, and specify the folder or directory that will be shared.
The NAS will automatically scan for file updates when content is added or deleted from the available folders. You can also click the "Refresh" button to manually scan for file updates.
Not sure if that helps any. We are quite happy with our DNS-323 here at work for general file sharing, but as I mentioned, it'll never see action with my PS3.

Edit: And, add one more vote for "PS3 Media Server" - I haven't had a problems with it. I select a few of my video podcast folders as shared resources, and my PS3 picks them up without any issues. They play smooth (even HD ones), but they are generally quite short in length. Some people have mentioned problems when trying to stream full length, HD movies, but I have never tried it.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 02-26-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I used Vuze a little bit. Found it kind of clunky but it works.....I will admit that I didn't really spend any time configuring it, which I'm sure would improve (somewhat, alot?) the experience.

Overall, I think Vuze would be a decent media server for occasional use by someone with a touch of tech savvy.
WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I used vuse because it was easiest and I have no tech savy. I have not tried ps3 media on my macbook yet I might give that a try and see if it'll stream my mkv files properly. I have no clue how to configure stuff so that may also be a reason to the skipping. But since I don't care all to much about watching borrowed movies in HD they both work just fine for me!
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #10
Homer_J
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have an older Mac G5. The only PS3 Media Server version I've found was for Intel Macs. I'm demo'ing Rivet right now and it works well, but does anyone know of a good free server for Mac? If not I'll probably pay the $20 for Rivet.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:04 PM   #11
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_J View Post
I have an older Mac G5. The only PS3 Media Server version I've found was for Intel Macs. I'm demo'ing Rivet right now and it works well, but does anyone know of a good free server for Mac? If not I'll probably pay the $20 for Rivet.
The page linked from above for PS3 Media Server will also show the older versions. V1.02.1 appears the me the last one before the went to Mac (Intel Only)
—WKRP in Cincinatti
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #12
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sorry for my ignorance but I'd like to know what you mean by "what are using for a media server". We have a ps3 and all I use it for are movies and the (very) odd game. I know I can stream my mp3s from the computer, and have a couple times.......so what am I missing here? Thanks for any explanation.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #13
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Tversity wasn't bad and works with both the 360 and ps3.

Buzzard it's a server that runs on your computer that your PS3/Xbox connects to that allows you to stream shows/music/pictures etc. to your PS3/Xbox. Ie. you missed your favorite show, so you download it and use your PS3 to watch it on your TV.
Finner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2010, 11:17 PM   #14
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

PS3 media server is clearly the best in my experience. Absolutely no issues with it and it's easy enough to use that most non-tech savvy people should be able to use it.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:55 PM   #15
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Am i the only one who uses Windows media player?

I have a server in the basement and never had a single issue with it running vista and media player 10. Just drag and drop the files into my video/music folders on my puter and its gravy.
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #16
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

http://www.nullriver.com/products/medialink

I use media link. It is ok might try the suggestions in this thread thou.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:59 AM   #17
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Sorry for my ignorance but I'd like to know what you mean by "what are using for a media server". We have a ps3 and all I use it for are movies and the (very) odd game. I know I can stream my mp3s from the computer, and have a couple times.......so what am I missing here? Thanks for any explanation.
It is a program you run on another computer to help pass the media (video or audio) to the PS3 in a format that the PS3 can handle.

The PS3 is kind of picky, there are some common files that it doesn't like. A Media server program will act as a middle man and convert those files into something the PS3 does like. That is it in a nutshell.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #18
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just use a program called MKV2VOB that I use to convert all MKV files to a format the PS3 reads, then I just transfer the file over to my PS3 HDD and watch from there.

I don't even bother with streaming.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #19
Hammertime
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
I use my dlink 323 streaming to PS3 daily.

It works really good, though the PS3 doesn't support all the video codecs out there.

Any specific questions? The DNS 323 is nice because it has a built in torrent client as well.
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
media , no rrod , ps3